By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A possible future for games on the Wii.

I have a feeling SSBB will use multiple control schemes...one using Wiimote/nunchuck, but with traditional-like controls (maybe some motion thrown in, nothing vital), classic controller, and GC controller. That way people don't need to buy a controller, cause they're bound to have one of those. But yeah, many games could use the Wiimote/nunchuck traditionally...it's basically a two-handed controller without a second analog stick.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
DonWii said:

Even Nintendo's own Shigeru Miyamoto was upset at the fact that game companies are puting their "third-string team or their fourth-string team" on Wii development projects. Could this be the future of the Wii?

Yes, that's why I find the Wii uninteresting. It'll rarely if ever get the big games that people crave except for Nintendo's own franchises. It'll never see the latest and greatest Resident Evil, Capcom will just throw junk like Umbrella Chronicles at it. If there's ever a GTA for it, it'll be some watered-down mess like Liberty City Stories. Some older MGS game might get ported to it, maybe it'll see Ninja Gaiden -- but only as a Virtual Console game. Bleh.

The funny thing about that Miyamoto interview is the two games he gave as examples for how 3rd parties could succeed developing for the Wii: a "game" that teaches Japanese caliigraphy, and a "game" for playing with dolls. As a gamer, I nearly vomited reading that.

n00b,

As I mentioned, this is a possibility, and it is not set in stone. Only time will tell. I still forsee the Wii doing exceptionaly well this generation.

I agree that games developed for the Wii will prodominately be geared more for the casual gamer. They may also be simplier (in apperance at any rate).  The reason is the perception that Wii is indeed expanding the market and those 'new gamers' obviously have litte to no interest in existing game franchises, and also that hard-core gamers that own a Wii likely also own a 360/PS3 (except in Japan where Wii will rule like the DS and Sony is in serious trouble). Also Sony turned there back on the casual market completely with the PS3.  People who bought a PS2 for Guitar Hero, Sing Star, Jak & Dextar, etc, will not shell out the money for a PS3, they'll simply get a Wii with GH3, Boogie and Mario Galaxies.

Watered down versions of games designed for traditional systems (360) or PS2/x-box ports may sell okay on the Wii, but the best sellers will likely be games designed for the Wii and the broad gamer market (not the hard-core).

I'm sure many existing franchises will be brought over, but revisioned (RE:Umbrella Chronicles/Dragon Quest Swords/Sonic).

While some games may be weaker on the Wii, I feel overall the need to revisualize franchises and game-play is an excellent thing, not just for the Wii's benefit but for the entire industry's.  Just a year ago, people were all complaining about the lack of original IP's, the lack of original game-play mechanics, the vast over-abundance and dependance on sequels and the growing reliance on (mostly crappy) licensed (movie) games.  With the PS3's and 360's development costs those problems were predicted to get a lot worse.  Then along comes whe Wii and Wii Sports and suddenly, the rules are changed.  Not only does the Wii entice developers to try something new, it almost forces them.

EA is already coming up with some interesting stuff and I'm sure a lot of smaller developers who simply can't afford the sky-high development costs of the PS3/360 will come up with some gems for the Wii (like Cooking Mama for the DS).  Theres a huge market for innovative titles amongst both casual and hard-core. 

In comparison you look at Sony's Gamer Day and all their announced games.  Yeah, they all look cool but I can't help but see them and think, 'been there, done that'.  Yeah, it's prettier but so what?  Except for LittleBigWorld there's nothing original there IMP (now someone will flame me for sure...) 

As far as third/forth string development teams, that'll quickly change as the potential game revenues from the Wii continue to meet or exceed those for the 360/PS3. 

@Gamerace Nah. I completely agree with that. I was discussing it on another thread. There is alot of hype because of the graphics. I have to admit, they are amazing. However, the gameplay is still the same, and very much a 'me too'. Heavenly Sword is God of War, and Shooting aspect of Uncharted is being compared to Gears of War. So true. Same thing with enhanced graphics. Looking forward to LittleBigPlanet, however.