By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HELLDIVERS coming to Steam/PC! (Published by "Playstation Mobile")

Tagged games:

What version of HELLDIVERS do you own/play?

PS3 1 3.03%

PS4 19 57.58%

PSVita 3 9.09%

Will get it for PC 10 30.30%

Total:33
Chazore said:
veritaz said:

I get what you're saying but not everybody wants to go through the effort and time and would rather take the easy way out which happens with some devs. I don't think they should be blammed for that, it's the same way in real life where most people want the easy way. Btw what anime is your signature from it looks interesting.

I dunno, I find people ending themselves as taking the easy way out and that's something people tend to look down on. Making your own way in the world through youe hard effort and work tends to earn more praise and looked upon in a better light than getting bought out, Minecraft for example was made popular thanks to the small number of devs, they didn't need funding from one of the big 3 to be successful at all and there are other devs out there who manage this with less. Undertale is a recent example and is becoming quite popular and getting great reviews and yet 1 guys with the help of person or two made his game possible, then there's the funding of Star Citizen through the gamers themselves.

You can judge people and their actions just like you can judge what happens when they sell an IP or allow it to get snatched up, I tend not to agree with allowing it to get snatched because I see them working for it as they are as being a better effort and more worthwhile and it would show for it in the end (if they actually do put their all into it).

I mean sure I do want the easy way sometimes but then I just rememebr that it wouldn't feel all that legit or meaningful, I feel that if I start somewhere and work my way then my life will have meaning and working hard towards what I want can show for it in the process.

It's from French animator/Game dev studio Ankama and the show is called Wakfu (has 2 seasons, 3 OVA's and another 3 based on events after season 2, and two movies with the other counterpart show "dofus" getting it's own movie since it's had it's own game and mini series like Wakfu has).

(Also Wakfu also had a game on the 360 arcade store a few years back).

You're forgetting it's very rare to be the popular indie when most are overlooked. Games like Minecraft or Star Citizen could give some hope until you realize it's the equivalent of winning the lottery to indie devs. Unless you get very high ratings or word of mouth most won't sell anything good unless it has really good marketing. When they make the deal they don't know the future so they just weigh everything and come up with a decision that they're comfortable with. Such is anything in life that you're not certain with and have to make compormises. 

Thanks for the name of the series, I apreciate it. 

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Zoombael said:
Abun said:

It's an indie game that fits with steam so why are people making a big deal over this?

In contrast to the shovelware crap on steam, helldivers is actually a sophisticated and quite unique game.

There are plenty on Steam that are unique and sophisticated. Undertale is one such game that came out in Sept and has since become insanely popular with the itnernet.

There are indeed plenty of great games on steam that are not on consoles and probably won't be in the future. Though I have to say, Steam has a quality control issue, but I mostly know about these abysmal "games" through YouTube. It sucks, but the same loose rules allowed some really creative games to go through.

If the game was abysmal, no one will probably hear of it. If it's great, it'll get the prase it needs by reviewers. Steam needs to solve some of these issues, but t's currently not even effecting the average PC gamer. 

OT:  Very interenting, I want to know what the deal was between Sony and the Helldivers developers, because as far as I know, this game looked like an exclusive exclusive type of game.

.- -... -.-. -..

veritaz said:

You're forgetting it's very rare to be the popular indie when most are overlooked. Games like Minecraft or Star Citizen could give some hope until you realize it's the equivalent of winning the lottery to indie devs. Unless you get very high ratings or word of mouth most won't sell anything good unless it has really good marketing. When they make the deal they don't know the future so they just weigh everything and come up with a decision that they're comfortable with. Such is anything in life that you're not certain with and have to make compormises. 

Life is like winning the lotta in almost everything, some people spend their whole life devoted to a single part of their life and sometimes never achieve what they strived or what they worked for, same can and does happent o all sorts of devs, not just indie ones. Getting funded by a corp doesn't always mean guarnteeed success and acclaim either, especially not for the long term if we look at the long history of studios shut down by publishers and IP's left to rot or milked to death. That's also another reason why some games gain insane opularity because they actually worked for it, Undertale like I mentioned previously also happens to be a lot like Earthbound which of course Nintendo is hardly bothering with at all and someone else instead deicded to make their own game that also happened to inspire them and they got rewarded for it. Then of course Star Citizen not because Chris Roberts wanted to but because he saw the Space sim genre was being utterly dead and decided he wanted to bring it back in a big way and he more or less did because now we're seeing plenty of space and space sim games appearing on PC and again this is all without winning the lotto, those two strived and worked towards what they wanted to and gained fans trust/funding.

This is largely why I prefer the open market since it allows us to diversify what we want and get and how we go about funding it rather than a corp snatching up all the IP's and telling us that we have to grab their system in order to play it while also not allowing the market to diversify since it;s trying to control it, I like the open market because we get to decide what we want through many forms of cenveying just what we want.

Also No problemo, it's a good series (for being entirely flash based), the game however isn't much my cup of tea since trying it out 2 years back, maybe it's improved but it plays more or less like a version of Disgaea.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

PieToast said:

There are indeed plenty of great games on steam that are not on consoles and probably won't be in the future. Though I have to say, Steam has a quality control issue, but I mostly know about these abysmal "games" through YouTube. It sucks, but the same loose rules allowed some really creative games to go through.

If the game was abysmal, no one will probably hear of it. If it's great, it'll get the prase it needs by reviewers. Steam needs to solve some of these issues, but t's currently not even effecting the average PC gamer. 

OT:  Very interenting, I want to know what the deal was between Sony and the Helldivers developers, because as far as I know, this game looked like an exclusive exclusive type of game.

They do have a quality control issue but honestly all the platforms throughout all of time haven't always had the ebst control at quality either, we've all come across bad games, glitctehed to hell or busted forever, cheap tie in games, movie tie in games that look like b movie attempts at being a video game and for the longest time those sorts of games have been aimed at consoles for years.

On the bright side there is Greenlight but that honestly eneds to be refined, the concept works but definitely needs more tweaking rather than killing it entirely since that system allows users to decide what they want to support and what they don't want to.

When a game is good it'll get praise and like Undertale it'll gain momentum and popularity with a decent following, then of course you have Arkham Knight scenario where people will always remember it on PC for being a realy bad port job and the reviews will forever act as a marker for how bad WB did by them.

Really there needs to be a more user driven form of content removal since Valve aren't telling us what we can/cannot buy, of course the next step would be to give us that control since it's either us or valve who decides, at this point I'd rather it be us.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Zoombael said:
Abun said:

It's an indie game that fits with steam so why are people making a big deal over this?

In contrast to the shovelware crap on steam, helldivers is actually a sophisticated and quite unique game.

There are plenty on Steam that are unique and sophisticated. Undertale is one such game that came out in Sept and has since become insanely popular with the itnernet.

Unique, mabye. Sophisticated, certainly not.

"Minecraft for example was made popular thanks to the small number of devs, they didn't need funding from one of the big 3 to be successful at all and there are other devs out there who manage this with less."

a) This isn't the general rule. More lika shot in a million.

b) Made popular thanks to the small number of devs? What does it even mean? It was actually one guy who started it.

c) It didn't need funding because Minecraft didn't require any. It's low tech and grew gradually, thus was financed gradually. It was funded by its success so to say, possible thanks to how it was conceptionalized. 

" IP's afaik still grow and evolve without having to be directly under the foot of Sony, Nintendo or MS, all the rest are mostly universal."

An assumption that begs to be proven. Looking at the first game by Arrowhead (Magicka) and comparing it with Helldivers, there is a huge difference. 

"meh, just another reason for me to dislike them all the more for buying up universal IP's."

Yea. And i dislike this naiv lumping together of "evil corporations". Sony promoted and financed/xdeved the game. So i guess i can make the assumption, without their help, Helldivers wouldn't be the game it is today, so it's their right to publish it on whatever plattform. As a PC only title it certainly would not be this good and experience this amount of sustained support. I doubt it would ve been even possible in this form.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
veritaz said:
QUAKECore89 said:
Wow, Both Sony & Microsoft are publishing their own games on Steam.

#Nevergiveup.

Sony didn't make the game, they just got the IP from the dev.

Actually they did help making the game, not just giving Arrowhead a suitcase with money.

Hunting Season is done...

Chazore said:
PieToast said:

They do have a quality control issue but honestly all the platforms throughout all of time haven't always had the ebst control at quality either, we've all come across bad games, glitctehed to hell or busted forever, cheap tie in games, movie tie in games that look like b movie attempts at being a video game and for the longest time those sorts of games have been aimed at consoles for years.

On the bright side there is Greenlight but that honestly eneds to be refined, the concept works but definitely needs more tweaking rather than killing it entirely since that system allows users to decide what they want to support and what they don't want to.

When a game is good it'll get praise and like Undertale it'll gain momentum and popularity with a decent following, then of course you have Arkham Knight scenario where people will always remember it on PC for being a realy bad port job and the reviews will forever act as a marker for how bad WB did by them.

Really there needs to be a more user driven form of content removal since Valve aren't telling us what we can/cannot buy, of course the next step would be to give us that control since it's either us or valve who decides, at this point I'd rather it be us.

The history of video games was littered with shite, can't argue with that, but honestly I don't think that's a good excuse. I'd rather have some real people to at least see if the game runs before putting it on Steam.

The praise and the highly positive critical acclaim Undertale recieved did actually show how great the community can be, and the reviewers also had a big part in bringing this special little game on the spot light. 

And last, but not least, Warner Bro are assholes. They probably removed the game because they've seen a lot of people refund it.

.- -... -.-. -..

Chazore said:
veritaz said:

Life is like winning the lotta in almost everything, some people spend their whole life devoted to a single part of their life and sometimes never achieve what they strived or what they worked for, same can and does happent o all sorts of devs, not just indie ones. Getting funded by a corp doesn't always mean guarnteeed success and acclaim either, especially not for the long term if we look at the long history of studios shut down by publishers and IP's left to rot or milked to death. That's also another reason why some games gain insane opularity because they actually worked for it, Undertale like I mentioned previously also happens to be a lot like Earthbound which of course Nintendo is hardly bothering with at all and someone else instead deicded to make their own game that also happened to inspire them and they got rewarded for it. Then of course Star Citizen not because Chris Roberts wanted to but because he saw the Space sim genre was being utterly dead and decided he wanted to bring it back in a big way and he more or less did because now we're seeing plenty of space and space sim games appearing on PC and again this is all without winning the lotto, those two strived and worked towards what they wanted to and gained fans trust/funding.

This is largely why I prefer the open market since it allows us to diversify what we want and get and how we go about funding it rather than a corp snatching up all the IP's and telling us that we have to grab their system in order to play it while also not allowing the market to diversify since it;s trying to control it, I like the open market because we get to decide what we want through many forms of cenveying just what we want.

Also No problemo, it's a good series (for being entirely flash based), the game however isn't much my cup of tea since trying it out 2 years back, maybe it's improved but it plays more or less like a version of Disgaea.

An open market is fine but it has its drawbacks too. The more open something is the more drawbacks it takes. The quality control issue is a big problem and I'd rather have big developers making the games instead of mostly smaller ones randomly doing things to see if it works out. An open market just doesn't have as much order as I would like.

Zoombael said:
veritaz said:

Sony didn't make the game, they just got the IP from the dev.

Actually they did help making the game, not just giving Arrowhead a suitcase with money.

Probably, just a timed port to PC for them seems like it's too little to own the IP. 

Zoombael said:

Unique, mabye. Sophisticated, certainly not.

"Minecraft for example was made popular thanks to the small number of devs, they didn't need funding from one of the big 3 to be successful at all and there are other devs out there who manage this with less."

b) Made popular thanks to the small number of devs? What does it even mean? It was actually one guy who started it.

c) It didn't need funding because Minecraft didn't require any. It's low tech and grew gradually, thus was financed gradually. It was funded by its success so to say, possible thanks to how it was conceptionalized. 

" IP's afaik still grow and evolve without having to be directly under the foot of Sony, Nintendo or MS, all the rest are mostly universal."

An assumption that begs to be proven. Looking at the first game by Arrowhead (Magicka) and comparing it with Helldivers, there is a huge difference. 

"meh, just another reason for me to dislike them all the more for buying up universal IP's."

Yea. And i dislike this naiv lumping together of "evil corporations". Sony promoted and financed/xdeved the game. So i guess i can make the assumption, without their help, Helldivers wouldn't be the game it is today, so it's their right to publish it on whatever plattform. As a PC only title it certainly would not be this good and experience this amount of sustained support. I doubt it would ve been even possible in this form.

uh, Sophisticated yes. There are plenty of games that are highly Sophisticated on PC than on consoles, I don't even begin to get the idea where you feel consoles have far more Sophisticated games than PC.

Undertale says hi, so do other popular indies and games that are popular on PC.

Small team along with the one guy made it possible, Undertale had one guy (shock horror practically every idea starts from one person since we all don't share a borg like mind) and then 2 helped him make his game what it was.

And yet other games with "low tech" do ened funding, it's funny how that actually works and is indeed an actual thing.

End of the day PC has a plethora of unique and Sophisticated games, plenty that also support many more types of peripherals than consoles would (there are some games on PC where you can use a myriad of inputs while on console you get 1-2 due to the way it's designed for the system and what the system mostly uses).

PC isn't some shitty junk pile with super simple shitty games (before you reject the notion, you are indeed implying it and implied it with your post an onther thread citing them as "vaporware").