By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - New 'Star Trek' TV Series a Go at CBS All Access

As long as it's not like new movies I'll watch it - there' always hope that someone will eventually make something as good as The Next Generation.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
As long as it's not like new movies I'll watch it - there' always hope that someone will eventually make something as good as The Next Generation.

Lol id only watch it if it were like the new movies xD

think-man said:
HoloDust said:

First one was cool, but into Darkness was awful.

The amount of foreshadowing of events in it was horrific, on par with fan fiction writing. Just the scene alone with McCoy stopping mid battle to draw attention to the fact that Khans blood bought a tribble back to life.... like looky here captain, this guys blood revives things that die, remember this later if you die.... Thanks McCoy I will, now get back to dealing with the people being killed in this battle? aren't you a doctor?

Rantmode engaged it seems! but ontopic I'm always happy to see franchises being used which people know and love, would much rather someone is trying to make use out of the franchise than leave it to rot like many other series.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

CBS is smart. They know trekkies (that's the term, right?) will be the ones that will complain the least about the series being on a streaming service and having to pay to see the series, and that will allow them to gauge if the financial model works or not and cna be used on other shows.

About the series, I've watched episodes from all Star Trek series (except the animated one which I didn't know it was a thing) as well as most of the movies. I don't care if they adopt the new style of the recent movies or the ones from other TV shows. I guess that the moment the show takes place and the ship will be important factors when deciding that.

In any case, I'll be surprised if the show lasts more than two seasons.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

think-man said:
HoloDust said:

Well, you know what wisdom of Harry Callahan says about opinions... ;)

Just kidding of course (first movie was decent, just not very good ST film, 2nd was just plain bad, however you look at it)...as someone who grew up with ST, I don't want new show to be anything like those Jar Jar Abrams Hollywoodized renderings of Trek, and more like original Roddenberry's vision.

JEMC said:
CBS is smart. They know trekkies (that's the term, right?)

I think core fans prefer Trekkers.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
JEMC said:
CBS is smart. They know trekkies (that's the term, right?)

I think core fans prefer Trekkers.

Ok, I'll try to remember it the next time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I was excited till I read CBS All Access. To me its the same as Star Wars. I love the core tv shows/movies and there is an EU so why should I care about new tv shows/movies. I just hope they follow the EU or at least respect it. Unlike Disney.. 'You've read dozens of EU books that are cannon, to bad were reseting it with a new EU so none of what you know matters anymore (evil Mickey Mouse laugh)'.... Sorry still not over that.

I hope the new series won't be full of endless action scenes. The philosophy and attitude of Star Trek is what makes them have some amazing characters, and some thought-provoking storylines.

Anyways, I'm not so happy about it being behind a subscription service because I already have crunchyroll, and netflix.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

My concern is that they'll base it in the universe of the recent movies for the convenience of not stressing previous continuity as opposed to the timeline we're all familiar with.

That it will be new characters and they'll be meeting new races is encouraging, though, as it implies it's not a reboot of a preexisting series and that they might be traveling to new areas.

The best pitch I ever read that I know Paramount received (I forget from which writer, but it's probably on that Star Trek wiki somewhere) was for the setting to be farther in the future with a Federation that is less constrained by technology but is analogous to the late Western Roman Empire, in that there are a number of invasions/migrations wreaking havoc and there's a great deal of animosity and mistrust between the participant races, and so the Federation is on the brink of dissolution. The enterprise, in this setting, is still the flagship of a diminished fleet, and they try to hold it all together and appeal to the better qualities of their allies and the enemies to not turn on one another and so forth. Evidently this would be the background arc addressed every few episodes while they'd have unrelated episodes, much like Deep Space Nine did.

Of course, given that pitch is many years old and it would require acknowledging the mythos of the previous series and abiding by the continuity at times (even though they're in the distant future), I imagine there's about a .01% chance of this series looking anything like that. I imagine they'll go with some simpler method, like placing this series in their new Vulcan-less timeline, as I doubt they'd simply wipe the slate clean and risk alienating a fanbase that's about as obsessed with the established lore and timeline as any you'll find.

I just hope it winds up taking the approach of previous star trek episodes as opposed to, say, a more action oriented series like Firefly or the Stargate franchise. With Doctor Who still going strong and the X-files returning for a short miniseries I've nothing to complain about.

If they're smart, what they'll do is set it in the original continuity, but with some lessons from what was successful in the new continuity's movies, and possibly also an episode or two that uses alternative-universe situations to bring in the new continuity's universe.

If they *must* go with the new continuity, they should at least time-jump it so that it's more in the time of Next Gen-Voyager rather than TOS.