By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will shovelware effect publishers future sales?

As Wii is heading for the win of current generation and turning into the most profitable platform, for those who figure out how to make money out of it, publishers are still putting their worst shovelware to it. From 3rd parties, basically only Capcom has put decent effort for the platform, and obviously is getting revarded from it. The RE4 port, which was well made, REUC, popular franchise, not the "main series" but still a good game, that's a must have for all RE fans, Zack&Wiki, quality title, which would have deserved better sales. As after few years, the people who have picked up (one of) these games, will see a game with Capcom logo in it, and feel that they can safely buy the game, since Capcom didn't fail their expectations. But what about the other companies, those that are atleast decent publishers, but put their half-assed ports and worst shoverware to the platform. Will they lose future sales? And how much will Capcom gain for putting, atleast decent, quality titles for Wii? It's pretty obvious that Nintendos FY08 profit top any other publishers profit during the whole generation, but will Capcom eventually end up making 2nd biggest profit this gen?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network

I'm hoping that PES Wii does well enough to get Konami of their asses and do some great games for the Wii. But you are right Capcom has been the only 3rd party dev to put any effort into the Wii.

Imthelegend said:
I'm hoping that PES Wii does well enough to get Konami of their asses and do some great games for the Wii. But you are right Capcom has been the only 3rd party dev to put any effort into the Wii.

I hope so too. And even Capcoms efforts haven't been anything similar to what they have put to other platforms and it's debatable can Capcoms efforts so far be considered as "serious" support, but atleast Capcom has made the games with certain level of quality. Of course, you count in few smaller developers, whos only option in practice is Wii developement and can't invest as much money for developement, as the big ones can. And maybe Sega can be count in, considering the quality of their games overall.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

i think sega has lacked any real quality (must have) titles so far. but you tack on the family friendly 'sonic' name on a family friendly console and it sells like hot cakes.

tastyshovelware said:
i think sega has lacked any real quality (must have) titles so far. but you tack on the family friendly 'sonic' name on a family friendly console and it sells like hot cakes.

Well, yes, but the thing is, that Segas recent games quality have been pretty same with every platform. Maybe you could pick a game or two, that are better than average, but in general, they haven't developed "better" games for a certain platform(s), while leaving other platform(s) with shovelware or half-assed ports.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:

Well, yes, but the thing is, that Segas recent games quality have been pretty same with every platform. Maybe you could pick a game or two, that are better than average, but in general, they haven't developed "better" games for a certain platform(s), while leaving other platform(s) with shovelware or half-assed ports.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

I think so.
But IMHO it only affects 3rd parties with entrenched series and sequels.
People will associate the shovelware with the brand, and dismiss even their entrenched franchises. The worst is when they make shovelware with their franchises. A good example is Ubisoft.

And I disagree that only Capcom put some effort in the Wii.
Actually, I agree if you count only the big 3rd parties. But sadly or not, the best output have so far come from small dev teams like Grasshopper or Atlus. Atlus being small is debatable though.

tastyshovelware said:

ehhh....not really - The sonic name is nowhere near Mario. In fact, if M&S at the Oly. Games was called "Sonic at the Olympic games", I doubt it would even sell a million

Things as Brain Academy ,Sonic and Mario in the Olympic Games ,Game Party ,Wii Play and Carnival Games are selling much better than most games some effort has been spent with .

So I guess this will just learn the developers its better to spend little and make a game for "all publics " and "parents friendly " and sell tons instead of concentrating some 2-3 years of effort in a more traditional videogame with lots of content and a high technical level .

Which is worse I wonder... shovelware selling on the Wii telling all 3rd parties that they don't have to take it seriously or shovelware not selling on the Wii telling 3rd parties that their games won't sell.