By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Spencer Expects Another Generation

Well, hey. Cool! I'm sure Xbox fans would be thrilled to have another gen around of Xbox. And I got nothing against them being around either. Would be sad if any companies had to step down from the ring.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
Well, hey. Cool! I'm sure Xbox fans would be thrilled to have another gen around of Xbox. And I got nothing against them being around either. Would be sad if any companies had to step down from the ring.

I think people are misunderstanding there not being another generation. It doesn't mean there won't be anymore Xbox/PS/Nintendo gaming platform. It just means there will be no more traditional hardware platforms segregated and isolated by console refreshes.

I 100% think this is the last generation, but I 100% think that there will be a peice of Xbox hardware that will, in essence, succeed the XBO. It just won't be a traditional console, but a generationless Steambox-like device running on Win10 and using XBLG as it's platform.

AlfredoTurkey said:
The fact that we're even talking about this is kind of telling. Hopefully they do make another console because without an Xbox, Playstation is not going to have any competition or motivation to improve. The whole industry is going to suffer.

With Nintendo finally jumping back into the race I don't think Microsoft would be needed in terms of providing Sony with competition.

spemanig said:
Cloudman said:

I think people are misunderstanding there not being another generation. It doesn't mean there won't be anymore Xbox/PS/Nintendo gaming platform. It just means there will be no more traditional hardware platforms segregated and isolated by console refreshes.

I 100% think this is the last generation, but I 100% think that there will be a peice of Xbox hardware that will, in essence, succeed the XBO. It just won't be a traditional console, but a generationless Steambox-like device running on Win10 and using XBLG as it's platform.

Well, I guess the next gen would be the last one, wouldn't it? At least with how you've been saying it? : 3

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

bowserthedog said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
The fact that we're even talking about this is kind of telling. Hopefully they do make another console because without an Xbox, Playstation is not going to have any competition or motivation to improve. The whole industry is going to suffer.

With Nintendo finally jumping back into the race I don't think Microsoft would be needed in terms of providing Sony with competition.

Unless Nintendo somehow manages to change it's user base, that probably isn't going to happen. Xbox One competes for the SAME demographic. It's biggest games go after the same crowd that PS4's biggest games do. 

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Why wouldn't there be another generation? The sun rises and sets. The tides go in and out. Consoles are released...

That sounds strangely erotic.

AlfredoTurkey said:
bowserthedog said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Unless Nintendo somehow manages to change it's user base, that probably isn't going to happen. Xbox One competes for the SAME demographic. It's biggest games go after the same crowd that PS4's biggest games do. 

Additionally, Nintendo will need to recapture all the 3rd party support they lost.  This will prove to be a major hurdle.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Cloudman said:

Well, I guess the next gen would be the last one, wouldn't it? At least with how you've been saying it? : 3

I wouldn't consider what comes next a generation, because it has to have an end to be a generation. It needs to be able to be succeeded. What's coming next will be three infinite platforms, so I don't consider it a generation at all.

The XB Machine will basically be a PC and will probably have a new, more powerful skew released annually, which won't matter because games will be playable on everything because it'll just be playing PC games.

The PS Now machine will just be a PSTV-like device (might even just be the PSTV) that will stream PS1-4 games plus newer stuff. All the hardware upgrades will be backend stuff, and the PSTV won't even be necessary to play those games, since any smart device will do, so that won't be a generational device either.

And everyone knows my thoughts on the NX. Unless you consider the entire iphone line from the first to the most recent part of the same generation, trying to figure out generations in a product like that will be rediculus.

Steam isn't generational. All gaming will be like that after this generation. That's why it's silly to call what's next 9th gen or something. Steam isn't 2nd gen PC, is it? Of course not.

I don't trust a word he says.

Oh. And the Xbox project as a whole has been a net loss for MS so there's that.

Then there's the fact that MS can't stand losing, even if they MIGHT be making money on X1 (something we'll never know because the division is masked in their financial statements), that does not give a valid reason to keep the brand going. Case in point? I wonder what happened to the Zune...

Bububut they're reporting Live numbers now so that means Xbox is closing down.