By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could Console Software survive price competition?

Mobile gaming is a direct result of Price Competition (Worst Case Scenario). Intense competition between not only other games but other low priced apps on mobile, forces a hard limit on mobile game development cost, which in turn makes gives mobile gaming its stigma of lack of quality or consumer friendliness (i.e p2w, microtransactions, etc...)

PC gaming's price competition is not nearly as bad as on mobile, and some may argue that the comparision of game prices between console and pc, suggests overpricing on Console end. However, rarely are PC exclusive games comparable to their multiplatform counterparts. What I mean is that say you have AC (Assassin's Creed) for 60 on console and AC 20 on PC? Isn't that price more to compete with other low price PC games and FTPs? Again, this competition drives the price lower. Multiplat games, can sell well at 20 on PC, but with such high dev costs, are allowed more leeway when priced on console?

Can Console Games persist at current quality when exposed to open platforms? Are dev costs already too damn high? (As made evident, by DLC and Microtransactions in Console games?)

Are we d00med?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

People will always find the right budget to make games so there will always be games. And I will always have enough money to buy them. No problem here.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

That's an interesting question, but do you mind if I ask you where can you buy the PC version of an AC game for 20 while still being 60 on consoles? I'm really curious because the max difference I've seen between PC and console version is around 10 $/€, so it's either 50/60 or 20/30, not 20/60.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I play dota2 and they have a really solid and profitable system. It's just a shame Valve failed so hard on the Dota2 marketplace. Caused them to get greedy as the community was allowed to royally screw it up. 

$60 is just too much for a game. $49.99 is much more attractive and I think they should go back to it.

Mobile gaming can hurt portables "stealing" the casuals from them, but as of now, even with its fire sales prices, it's not able to replace home consoles.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

New games cost just as much on PC as they do on consoles.