By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I just built a PC and here's my take on the whole Consoles VS PC argument

Chazore said:
beeje13 said:
When you spend $1000 on a PC how much goes to a game developer?

I know console games have platform royalties but they are nowhere near the sometimes 50% price difference between PC versions. There's a reason why Rockstar released GTA 18 months later, Rocksteady contracted out Arkham Knight, and Ubisoft in general don't go to a great effort to get their PC games optimised.

There's LESS money to be made on PC, despite strong sales.

This is not a dig at PC gaming (I have one myself) and PC gamers, just an observation.

It's not really a fact about building a PC and then claiming me building a custom rig of my own choosing and freedom somehow means less money goes to devs, that part has nothing to do with one another.

PC gaming isn't owned by a corp so there aren't really royalties to pay so what you pay for on PC goes to either the devs or publishers (and then of course the pubs pay the devs so they still get paid either way).

Rockstar took their time with the PC port because they wanted to make it the ebst port possible and the ebst version they could produce, that actually does take time whether you like to believe it or not, the fact they threw a lesser version up on current gen as well as having them on last gen shows they wanted to take advantage of gamers switching between platofmrs while they were working on the PC version and others have taken advantage of that as well and yet they've released PC versions in less time than GTA V, still doesn't prove they were just waiting based on sales/profit because they are already making profit with the PC version anyway.

Also Rockstready didn't contract out AK, that was always down to WB and WB happaened to get the crappy console based small man team studio to work on it while they had Rocksteady work on the console versions, that was a grave error on WB's part, not because of the "oh less money lets give them shit ports" kind of excuse.

Actually if we go by studios, devs and generally PC only devs there is actually decent money to be made on PC and of course PC has surpassed consoles globally in terms of revenue and the platform in general is getting more and more popular as time goes by.

http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read/pc-games-have-surpassed-console-games-globally/033849

I dunno about it being a dig though but you're honestly not the sort of fellow who's exactly neutral to all this and you kinda went in this thread a bit blindly with your observation without checking sources to find out what was what (which was why I jumped in to correct you kindly). It was an observation for sure but not exactly one that's well informed.

He does have a point though. AAA multiplat games make far less revenue on PC than on console. And although there are no royalties, Steam takes about a 30% cut of the price. (In retail the publisher only gets about 45% so it's still a lot better)

Whether that affects development, probably not. AAA multiplats make more money on consoles combined. Individually the ps4 may be ahead in some, yet pc is not at the bottom. It is simply far easier to make a working version of the game to fixed specs than it is to have it run well on whatever the user may throw at it. And piracy plus double dipping may play a part in the decision process too. Make money on the closed systems first, then get people excited again for a better version with mods. It works for GTA.

Btw I always find it funny when people complain about 2nd hand games destroying the industry then brag about all the games they got in humble bundles. If you really want to support the devs, buy new direct from their website, no steam key or cd keys etc. I still rather have a box, but you can only get that directly from the developer when you kickstart games. I did for Shenmue 3, yet The journey down asks CAD 120 :/

Around the Network

I prefer having better graphics/framerate so PC to me is better than PS4 Xbox One. My PC chair is really comfortable, I have a nice sound system and a great "man cave" to play in.

My current systems are PC, Wii U, PS4, 3DS

I recommend you consoles fanboys, especially the console wars plebs, look into getting yourself a nice gaming rig eventually when you can afford it.

User was warned for this post - Starcraft

HBninjaX said:

I prefer having better graphics/framerate so PC to me is better than PS4 Xbox One. My PC chair is really comfortable, I have a nice sound system and a great "man cave" to play in.

My current systems are PC, Wii U, PS4, 3DS

I recommend you consoles fanboys, especially the console wars plebs, look into getting yourself a nice gaming rig eventually when you can afford it.

Surely you're not suggesting that a nice gaming rig costs more than console gaming?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

^ Instead of investing in a gaming rig, get one of these first :)
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD28DSE-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B014ULWTVC
http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD141X-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B00MK39P92
Once you go big, 1440p on a monitor just isn't as immersive anymore.

Last gen I still moved the pc over regularly, yet since console(s) are 1080p too now I don't really see the point anymore. Once I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPLVW350ES-Theater-Gaming-Projector/dp/B00SKK70VO PC is back in. (Yet not at 10x the price as they still are)

You can't build something as strong as the ps4 for the price of the ps4, especially if you're factoring in OS. Building a PC for less than $800 is dumb IMO because you don't really start seeing large benefits over the PS4's power until around that price range. I'm not saying that you can't make a strong PC for 5 or 600, but I just don't think the increase in power is great enough to really make that much of a note of it.

Around the Network
Sprash said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
I only read the OP and none of the replies but uh.. PC's are cheaper. And more powerful. And though I prefer gaming on consoles since that's where my friends/family are, I can easily admit they make for superior gaming devices as well.

And to be fair, if you're going to include things like a monitor and OS and keyboard for the PC then you should also include a TV for consoles. And don't forget there's no online charge for PC's, and you can ALWAYS get new release games for a lot less.

You can actually build a PC that easily outperforms current gen consoles and save a lot of money in the long run.

1.But not in the same time you have to choose what you want either you spend less money and can't play the blockbuster games or you spend a shit ton on money in a pc and can play them.

2.If it's so easy then show it, what pc can easily outperform current gen consoles and saves you a lot on money in the long run (a pc you don't have to upgrade I guess?) and can play the next let's say GTA?

1. "Shit ton" is subjective. I spent $750 or so on my latest PC, can play any game I want, and all at settings that far exceed PS4 and Xbone. That might be a shit ton of money to you, that was a good investment for me for a PC that will last me years, longer than a console. My PS4 and Xbone are already dated in terms of hardware. And yes, you accomplish both at the same time.

2. I already built a custom PC that exceeds my consoles. And I'll eventually upgrade this one. And build another. Just like in 3-4 years I'll buy the next Playstation and Xbox consoles. As far as saving money goes, it's simple mathematics. I'll even go the cheaper console route and pick the PS4. Retailed for $400. I have bought one year of PS+, that's $50. It's about to run out. This time next month it will be $500 I have played on it. You save $20-40 on new retail games if you buy on PC, especially with sites like G2A. Multiply that by however many games you wanna buy and the savings add up quickly. Hell, you buy 5 AAA retail games a year even at $40 on PC and you have saved $100. I don't pay $50 for PS+ and in two years that would have been $300 saved. You buy more games it's even bigger. Plus even non AAA games are way cheaper. The trash indies and good indies you see on consoles are cheaper on PC.

As for running the next GTA... idk? I haven't seen the specs for it. But I don't see why not.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I only read the OP and none of the replies but uh.. PC's are cheaper. And more powerful. And though I prefer gaming on consoles since that's where my friends/family are, I can easily admit they make for superior gaming devices as well.

And to be fair, if you're going to include things like a monitor and OS and keyboard for the PC then you should also include a TV for consoles. And don't forget there's no online charge for PC's, and you can ALWAYS get new release games for a lot less.

You can actually build a PC that easily outperforms current gen consoles and save a lot of money in the long run.

I'm genuinely curious. Show me a build that costs $400 or less with every accessory except for a monitor that outclasses a PS4. That includes Operating System, Disc Drive, keyboard and mouse. Because without having any foundation to work with (e.g. taking parts from previous PC or having an OS lying around somewhere), I can't phanthom building a rig that's cheaper than and more powerful than a PS4.

The reason why I'm adding these factors is because all you need to get a PS4 up and running is a TV monitor as everything else comes already packed-in ready in the box (controller and HDMI cable). You might be able to build a PC with better specs than a console for cheaper, but it may not be ready to use out of the box at that price range (accessories are missing or no OS to function).

Are PCs cheaper in the long run? I wouldn't doubt that. But I see the real value of PCs is just being able to do every other stuff 100X better than consoles (youtube, browsing, running apps/programs, etc.). PCs should be seen as an investment for a need in your everyday life considering how everything is done electronically in today's world. But in term of pure gaming, consoles are the "value pack" deals that make the most sense if you want to start off as their just ready to use and relatively cheap compared to PCs.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Sprash said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

1.But not in the same time you have to choose what you want either you spend less money and can't play the blockbuster games or you spend a shit ton on money in a pc and can play them.

2.If it's so easy then show it, what pc can easily outperform current gen consoles and saves you a lot on money in the long run (a pc you don't have to upgrade I guess?) and can play the next let's say GTA?

1. "Shit ton" is subjective. I spent $750 or so on my latest PC, can play any game I want, and all at settings that far exceed PS4 and Xbone. That might be a shit ton of money to you, that was a good investment for me for a PC that will last me years, longer than a console. My PS4 and Xbone are already dated in terms of hardware. And yes, you accomplish both at the same time.

2. I already built a custom PC that exceeds my consoles. And I'll eventually upgrade this one. And build another. Just like in 3-4 years I'll buy the next Playstation and Xbox consoles. As far as saving money goes, it's simple mathematics. I'll even go the cheaper console route and pick the PS4. Retailed for $400. I have bought one year of PS+, that's $50. It's about to run out. This time next month it will be $500 I have played on it. You save $20-40 on new retail games if you buy on PC, especially with sites like G2A. Multiply that by however many games you wanna buy and the savings add up quickly. Hell, you buy 5 AAA retail games a year even at $40 on PC and you have saved $100. I don't pay $50 for PS+ and in two years that would have been $300 saved. You buy more games it's even bigger. Plus even non AAA games are way cheaper. The trash indies and good indies you see on consoles are cheaper on PC.

As for running the next GTA... idk? I haven't seen the specs for it. But I don't see why not.

Bolded: How? They can run all games comming the next few years without problems how is that dated? How many gaming pcs outhere can do that?

This price listing you made is so much bullshit I don't even take that seriously of course everyone is making the list so their preference is in a better light (for you it's the pc for me that would be the ps console)

Two words: Mass Production.

This whole value thing is getting a bit silly now since I can see the goal posts shifting.

PC gaming definitely does save you money in the long run and yes it;s just as good for "pure gaming".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"