By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Education should be about learning not socializing

If you ever come to Australia. It doesn't matter how skilled you are it is all about who you know. I seen accounting firms hire a unqualified person because they are a friend of someone important in the company vs a qulified grad who spent $$$$$ on a degree.

I've seen people who started a data entry roll. But because they know how to play the social game become a group manager that has no fricken clue what you are doing. When you explain stuff to them they just nod their head and say great work keep it up lol.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
I agree with OP ...

Education should be about making an investment towards one's future and that means learning, not socializing most of the time ...

You do not need long-term relationships with your peers or be their their friends.

Reputation ? College isn't high school so as long as you don't put any care for anyone else they will most likely do the same ...

Even with a college degree you are not just given a job, having a social life IS an investment in one's future as long as you pick your friends wisely

rolltide101x said:

Even with a college degree you are not just given a job, having a social life IS an investment in one's future as long as you pick your friends wisely

No but it's the most likely the best bet to getting a job for the majority of people out there when all other things are equal ... 

95% of the time, the managers and the HR team will say that your credentials are more important than the network you've bulit up so a social life is hardly an investment for getting jobs ... 

You DON'T want friends from college if you want to get a job but you do however WANT friends from a potential workplace if you want to get a job ...

fatslob-:O said:
rolltide101x said:

No but it's the most likely the best bet to getting a job for the majority of people out there when all other things are equal ... 

95% of the time, the managers and the HR team will say that your credentials are more important than the network you've bulit up so a social life is hardly an investment for getting jobs ... 

You DON'T want friends from college if you want to get a job but you do however WANT friends from a potential workplace if you want to get a job ...

They will say that but that is not the way it works in reality....  All you have got to do is read the responses in this thread to see that is true

rolltide101x said:

They will say that but that is not the way it works in reality....  All you have got to do is read the responses in this thread to see that is true

That's how it works for a lot of the jobs that require a high amount of skills ...

Around the Network

That's a bit cynical lol.

I think it should be a healthy mix of both. You need to socialize and create relationships in the real world. High school and college should prepare you for the real world by letting you learn and socialize in a somewhat controlled environment.

If you prefer to not talk to others and complete your classes in silence thats up to you. You'll probably be just as likely to pass as those social circles.

But, again in my opinion, you aren't doing yourself any favors in the future when you need those skills. And besides that I enjoy hanging and interacting with my friends.

I'm sorry that you don't. Maybe you'll find people who share your metality that you can connect with.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

ctk495 said:

Hey everyone,

I am halfway through college now and both my high school and college experience, I enjoy learning: reading textbooks, working out homework and doing research. However, if I were to give myself a grade in terms of socializing I would give myself an F. I dread the fact that going to school involves having long-term relationships with people who are part of social circles.I tend to be very blunt with people and let them know that I don't accept any form of disrespect. However, this has cause me to develop a reputation in my school. Any way, most people would transfer, however, its too late for me since I am doing really well academically and I am too deep into my major.

What really bothers me is that: Am I here to learn or to interact with these people? Also, I don't want to be their friend, since that would put me at the bottom of their hierarchical structures plus they aren't adding anything to my life. I feel happier watching movies or playing games that trying to please people who for the most part are boring. 

You have the right I idea and I can tell you from personal experiences that people only hinder you and make you lose focus.Do what is comfortable with you and the only thing you really need to socialize for is business/learning reasons.As long as you know how to conduct yourself professionally you will be fine.Some people you have to be bunt with,especially your peers in college and some of them are a bad influnce.If you can not find any like minded friends than don't worry about it and do what you enjoy as long as you like yourself.

It's a duty.

For the most part 1) They are not adding anything to my life. 2) It's almost a duty-a rite of passage-to be socializing with people who are either negative or annoying. 3) At least in college, I don't know how that helps me grow as a person. 4) I should have chosen a more fitting school for myself where I could have find more like-minded people. Its terrible how in my school there's not even an "Anime Club." I had to create it myself.

I know there are adults out there who are thinking "Why is this kid bitching about his school? Take action!" If you don't like it then transfer. However, what will benefit me in the long term is more important than my personal feelings.

Education isn't a all textbook. You need some interaction.

Just saying.

ctk495 said:

Thank's for the replies guys. I am not a misanthrope, actually I have tons of friends online! Facebook, Reading Clubs, Indie Music and self-improvement.

My problem is socializing with people in real life in an institution-school and college- where you need to interact constantly with them. Especially since both of the schools I attended where small. I can put my social mask but not all the time as its required. The most frustrating aspect of social skills on an institution is that I am getting penalized for what I do and for what I DON'T do.

For instance, some people want to talk to me in Spanish-my natiive language. However, If I talk to them in Spanish they get offended as they tend to think I am showing off. On the other hand, if I don't they get angry since they tend to think I am too good to talk to them. I have hundreds of examples like this, but it always seems like I end up rubbing people the wrong way.

The problem is at work you also need to interact constantly with people that don't share the same interests. Shutting yourself off from real life people isn't going to prepare you for how to interact with people in the work place. I didn't like most people in college either yet I still made some good friends, which have been great support afterwards.

I started working at a small software company that had the believe that good credentials should be enough. However that backfired, as we ended up with people that nobody could work with. They quickly changed policy that candidates should be able to fit in with the rest of us foremost, next to having good learning ability. Learning how to fit in is an important skill in life.

Btw what they want to hear is a compliment on how well their Spanish is (getting)

It's hard to learn to be sociable, or even like it. I still rather avoid interaction with real people. I don't know whether its a blessing or a curse that the internet is a good alternative.