By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Battlefront have online splitscreen?

I can't seem to find the answer to this question and I would be mighty disappointed if I couldn't play Battlefront with my friends locally (and online). If there isn't, this is a disturbing trend and I hope it comes to a stop.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Around the Network

From what I understand, you'll have splitscreen only in the limited offline mods.

One up on Halo 5, which won't have it period sadly.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

It has it but I believe it's limited to co-op modes.

Goddamnet. I'm really sick of this. What would be the reasoning for not offering splitscreen online?

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Goddamnet. I'm really sick of this. What would be the reasoning for not offering splitscreen online?

I am sure there is some technical reason such as bandwidth or something.

Could just as easily be that it would have cost them more than they'd like to implement.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

Could just as easily be that it would have cost them more than they'd like to implement.

I guess. It's just weird that older games used to have online splitcreen and now it seems like most games don't. I really don't care about performance. Drop it down to 30 FPS if you need to. I hope they patch it in at some point (if that's even possible).

AND NOW WITH THIS SEASON PASS BULLSHIT! Gross...

ohmylanta1003 said:
starcraft said:

I guess. It's just weird that older games used to have online splitcreen and now it seems like most games don't. I really don't care about performance. Drop it down to 30 FPS if you need to. I hope they patch it in at some point (if that's even possible).

AND NOW WITH THIS SEASON PASS BULLSHIT! Gross...

Yes...its hard to escape the notion that a reasonable definition of the 'full game' will involve a hell of a lot more than $60...

I guess we'll see whether reviewers feel there is enough content in the base game.

ohmylanta1003 said:

It's 100% because it runs at 30fps when at split screen so that would give split screen users a disadvantage against 60fps players.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Ali_16x said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

It's 100% because it runs at 30fps when at split screen so that would give split screen users a disadvantage against 60fps players.

I'd totally be okay with that. The disadvantage would be so small and the splitscreen players have an advantage because they can communicate and coordinate with one another easier.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Ali_16x said:

I'd totally be okay with that. The disadvantage would be so small and the splitscreen players have an advantage because they can communicate and coordinate with one another easier.

It's also likely because the game would have to be entirely reworked to run in split screen, having both characters in different places, which would probably be too rough for most players' Internet to run. Old 360 games got away with it because the maps were tiny by comparison. But there's a reason these games don't do it as a whole anymore: not enough people play this way to make it worth the effort put in. Why reprogram the online in a way that may not even work for what's likely less than 5% of players to use it SOMETIMES? You act like it's a baffling decision but it's baffling why any shooter dev WOULD do it. Though Halo 5 having no split screen at all for the Co-op did still bug me quite a bit because that's not exactly a strain on the bandwidth nearly as much as full online split screen would be. 

I'm sort of grateful this game has it at all because this will be the only casual shooter this gen (from beginning to the eventual end) that does this, I promise you. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!