By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Cracked: Why comparing Trump to Hitler makes Perfect Sense

Lawlight said:
DivinePaladin said:

Look up US v. Wong Kim Ark. Doesn't matter who your parents are, if you're born on US soil* you're a citizen. 

*If you're from American Samoa or a few other select territories you're not a citizen but those are outdated outliers. 

What?! In 2015, countries still have laws like this? In developed countries, usually being born in a country doesn't grant you a legal status in that country. Obviously, those U.S. citizens cannot be deported  - too late for that now. But going forward, it makes sense to change that law.

It's not gonna change. There's way too much work that has to go into changing an Amendment, especially when the Supreme Court itself has backed this interpretation twice, once generally and another time specifically referring to children of illegal aliens. It's not like it's impossible, but Americans have to vote on a state by state level to get any sort of amendment to even be considered, and we're too lazy for that; the common American is likely going to choose an Amendment to work on the Citizens United ruling before they would go and try to fix the birthright citizenship clause. Plus, Congress isn't going to step up either because that alienates a fifth of the population and could potentially damn a good amount of their careers in Washington. We're far too moderate a nation to do a mass deportation or anything like that, so all we're going to do is bash them to make ourselves feel better. 

Legitimately speaking, the only way this problem feasibly goes away anytime soon is through the easing up of naturalization laws for those currently already in the country, ON TOP of strengthening our border to help stop the leaking from happening further. But that wasn't really the point of the discussion, so forgive me for going off topic.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

Lol people quoting the 14th amendment has nothing to with being born here under illegal citizens. It was amendment to make blacks legal citizens after the civil war when they became freed

Read the rules about creating OPs. Then try again.

Well, not with this article, it's just pure bait.

When your thought process is comparing ______ with Hitler, you know you've jumped the shark (I know it's Cracked and that's their shtick, but it's not necessary for VGC).