By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Star Wars: Battlefront Beta and Price Drop Have Increased PS4 Sales

Samus Aran said:
daredevil.shark said:

Too bad its only Microsoft and Sony is doing properly this gen. Lol.

Have you ever heard about the 3DS?

1/3 sales of previous gen sales? Not bad. But still behind.

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
Samus Aran said:
daredevil.shark said:

You said MS was doing well, is the X1 going to sell 80M+ when all is said and done?

The 3DS is still more expensive than the launch price of the DS, that's a major reason why it sold less.

Shadow1980 said:

1) Rising in the Amazon rankings by 400% does not mean unit sales increased 400%. The LE Star Wars bundle jumped from #70 to #13 in the rankings. 70/13≈5.38=438% increase.

2) Amazon numbers are a running average. As the price cut just went into effect today, the current rankings may not be fully indicative of the kind of boost the PS4 got.

3) The PS4 is most certainly not performing on par with the PS2 in the U.S. Aside from the launch quarter and the first September (Destiny was a huge system-seller for the PS4), the PS2 has been tracking well ahead of the PS4. The PS2 sold 32.4% more units in 2001 than the PS4 did in 2014. In fact, it hasn't even been close since this past May, as the PS2 got a huge boost from its first price cut, which was issued in May 2002. Here's how the two actually compare:

It is worth pointing out, though, that the XBO has been a strong competitor for the PS4 in the U.S., to the point where it actually won November & December last year after the issuance of a $50 price cut. Meanwhile, the PS2 was virtually unchallenged for its first 12 months on the market. Its only competitor at launch was the Dreamcast, which was discontinued only a few months later (March 2001, to be exact), while the Xbox & GameCube weren't released until November 2001 when the PS2 had already established dominance over the market.

That being said, combined PS4+XBO sales were actually tracking well ahead of combined launch-aligned PS3+360 sales and about on par with combined launch-aligned PS2+Xbox sales, that is again until this past May. The Xbox got its first price cut the day after the PS2 did, so spring & summer of 2002 was pretty damn big. May 2002 saw 1171k consoles sold between all three major systems (the GC got a price cut in May '02 as well), a record for a non-holiday month that would not be broken until March 2008 when the 360, PS3, & Wii sold a combined 1240k. The PS4 may be no PS2 in the U.S. sales-wise, but the overall market is still doing quite well (all the gen-over-gen decline this generation has been on Nintendo's end).

It is performing on par or higher than the ps2 your statistics are wrong

Ps4 to surpass the ps2

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Still a good gain for the PS4 to have its sales increased due to the price drop. Just cannot wait to see what it can do with that behemoth lineup of both Black Ops III and Battlefront come November.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network
twintail said:
Samus Aran said:
daredevil.shark said:
Samus Aran said:
daredevil.shark said:

You said MS was doing well, is the X1 going to sell 80M+ when all is said and done?

The 3DS is still more expensive than the launch price of the DS, that's a major reason why it sold less.

it also has less compelling software. but thats besides the point of this topic anyways, so back to the PS4.

Less compelling software than the DS? Not in a million years, 3ds is full of great games and is already superior to the software of DS, the reason is the fall of the hanheld market and the price, not the software at all, in fact 3ds has the best handheld version of Zelda, Mario, Fire Emblem, and Mario Kart, ever. And that´s only a tiny little part of all the great games on the system.

jlmurph2 said:
That isn't sales increase percentage, its position increase percentage.

http://www.percentagecalculator.net/ Use this if you'd like

Are you saying that the price drop didn't increase sales but only the position on the chart?    Thats like saying that the sales of everything else beside the PS4 just magically tanked allowing the PS4 to go up the charts.

CosmicSex said:
jlmurph2 said:
That isn't sales increase percentage, its position increase percentage.

http://www.percentagecalculator.net/ Use this if you'd like

Are you saying that the price drop didn't increase sales but only the position on the chart?    Thats like saying that the sales of everything else beside the PS4 just magically tanked allowing the PS4 to go up the charts.

I'm saying the sales numbers did not increase by those percentages he had in the title. Don't try to spin what I'm saying.

jlmurph2 said:
CosmicSex said:

I'm saying the sales numbers did not increase by those percentages he had in the title. Don't try to spin what I'm saying.

You said "That isn't sales increase percentage, its position increase percentage."

So say what you mean.  Don't expect me to read your mind over the internet.  

CosmicSex said:
jlmurph2 said:

You said "That isn't sales increase percentage, its position increase percentage."

So say what you mean.  Don't expect me to read your mind over the internet.  

If you saw the previous title it said "Increased PS4 sales by up to 438%". Which is inaccurate.

Don't single out my post when there's multiple addressing the same thing. Its the reason the title was changed.