By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Hololens development kit to arrive 1st quarter of 2016 for $3000.

Yeah, even if it's the dev kit, a cost like that is pretty ridiculous.

I can't see a whole lot being developed for hololens.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

I'm sure it'll be significantly cheaper when its available to consumers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think AR like hololens, google glass in general is 5-10 years away from a mass market ready product. The technology is just not there yet.

$3000 for a development device like this is way too much. At such a high price they're not just filtering out casual developers, but lots of legitimate, relevant companies that would want to pick up one to experiment with. At this point nobody is totally sure of what to do with this type of technology and the market for it is totally speculative so it seems like a huge red flag to me that they aren't laser focused on making this device as accessible to developers as possible.

Not to mention the VR headsets like Oculus and others are being shown with real non-faked demos and the products have been in developers' hands for quite some time. Throw one or two wide angle cameras on the front of one of these headsets - or use a smartphone - and it's possible to approximate what Hololens is promising, at a much lower cost (something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-oMPq4a3R8).