By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon company sues fan for unofficial Pokemon party

If anything he was promoting the pokemon IP and instead should be paid four grand by the pokemon company. Why did they bother to do this when most likely this will only be negative PR for pokemon...

Around the Network

Is it $4000 or $5400?

Nevermind, I see it. Wish I could donate but gofundme does not do paypal, unfortunately.

Aeolus451 said:
If anything he was promoting the pokemon IP and instead should be paid four grand by the pokemon company. Why did they bother to do this when most likely this will only be negative PR for pokemon...

"Kid gets drunk at official Pokémon party"

"Drug dealer arrested at official Pokémon party"

You're not allowed to make money from licensed trademarks. It's that simple. You have to be an idiot to think you're allowed to ask admission fees for a franchise you don't own the rights of.

This case is merely to set an example.

Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:

You're not allowed to make money from licensed trademarks. It's that simple. You have to be an idiot to think you're allowed to ask admission fees for a franchise you don't own the rights of.

Unofficial. Still, some journalists don't know how to do journalism so it could come down that way.

KLAMarine said:
Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:

Unofficial. Still, some journalists don't know how to do journalism so it could come down that way.

That is what I was alluding to. ;)

Change some to majority though.

Around the Network

That's just dumb. :/

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Poor guy. I wonder if he'll keep being a big Pokemon fan.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

$4000 in exchange for a nice helping of negative publicity. Stupid trade when a C&D would have served the exact same purpose without the bad karma.

What would be the difference between making it "Official" rather than "Unnoficial"?

How far does "unnoficial" go in this. So basically even if there's a kid or someone out there having a pokemon themed birthday party that could be labeled "unnoficial"? So it's basically like don't celebrate the franchise you like because you might get sued for it. 

(I'm not a fan of Pokemon i'm just saying for other people who might be). 

edit: Nevermind, I forgot about the $2 entree thing. 

theDX said:
FloatingWaffles said:

What would be the difference between making it "Official" rather than "Unnoficial"?

How far does "unnoficial" go in this. So basically even if there's a kid or someone out there having a pokemon themed birthday party that could be labeled "unnoficial"? So it's basically like don't celebrate the franchise you like because you might get sued for it. 

(I'm not a fan of Pokemon i'm just saying for other people who might be). 

A cafe is a business and he charged an admission fee. He was basically going to profit off of Pokemon's popularity. So either he licenses the trademark(s) and it's official, or it's illegal. There's no unofficial in that case.

Yeah, after I wrote my comment I thought about the $2 entree fee and how that would be seen as making money off of someone elses work. 

I see now.