By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you attend church weekly? Yearly?

luinil said:
Just curious what your definition of a cult is SamuelRSmith... they usually have you do some really weird crap. I don't see that happen with my church. But don't take my word for it! (LaVar Burton FTW!)

People all chanting along in the same monotone voice to someone that they're told is their superior. Being threatened with 'hell' if they don't attend. Eating and drinking somebody (that whole bread and wine thing). Immersing people in water to accept them into the religion/cult. People all praying.

Just gives me the heeby-jeeby's. 

Around the Network
mr-money said:
Going to an institution to pray to God is the antithesis of Christianity. If you want to talk to God, you do it yourself, not at some fucking monetised corrupt church with preists who fucking molest your children.

Mr-Money. it's one thing to not believe or understand something, but DO NOT critisize people for their beliefs no matter how silly they seem to you. This will be your first and only warning for this.

I have also sent you a message so there's no excuse for you saying you did not get this warning.

And just to be clear: this warning goes for everybody. It's fine that you do not believe in the same things as other people, but please have the common decency to respect their beliefs.  Threads about religion always get a little touchy and someone always crosses the line.  Please try not to do that.

For those of you who say churches are judgemental and only tell us what we can and can't do, not all of them are.

Jesus never went around preaching against sin and trying to make people feel bad, in fact, it was just the opposite. His favorite people to hang around with were the sinners, tax collectors, etc. The people he had the most problem with were the 'Religious' ones who judged people and looked at themselves as superior. He taught a better way to live that's not a miserable, boring, restricted life, but one of freedom FROM sin, not bondage to rules. Jesus freed people from sin by showing them the right way to live and by loving them, not by talking down to them and trying to make them feel guilty. There's a big difference there.

That being said, I've been to a few services that were rules-based, judgemental, etc, and if that's all I'd ever experienced, I'd probably hate church too .

Edit: To those of you who hate Religion for the reasons I mentioned above, If you forget all the stuff you've heard in religious services (if you've only been to those kinds of services), or the stereotypes of Christianity today and just read about Jesus directly from the Bible, you'll find he, and the original intention of 'The Church' are quite different than what you might think.

@timmah
Don't forget Jesus had a forerunner who lost his head for speaking out against sin.

John the Baptist = God's Law (judgments)

followed by

Jesus = God's Grace.

@ SamuelRSmith: I don't hold those beliefs you stated, nor does my church. I don't agree with some of those, like the bread and wine IS the body of Christ thing... I my opinion if I heard that from outside the church I would be kinda weirded out too. I am not trying to bash people who believe this, but if that and the singing is all that is holding you back, check out my church online sometime. It is totally different than what you think.

Around the Network

People here get offended/warned/banned when they start bashing other peoples favorite VIDEOGAME SYSTEM.

However, I don't see why people here feel free to bash/flame/troll someone's RELIGION. I don't know how bashing someone's belief in God can be fair game but bashing the Wii is considered blasphemy.

SamuelRSmith said:
luinil said:
Just curious what your definition of a cult is SamuelRSmith... they usually have you do some really weird crap. I don't see that happen with my church. But don't take my word for it! (LaVar Burton FTW!)

People all chanting along in the same monotone voice to someone that they're told is their superior. Being threatened with 'hell' if they don't attend. Eating and drinking somebody (that whole bread and wine thing). Immersing people in water to accept them into the religion/cult. People all praying.

Just gives me the heeby-jeeby's. 

Doesn't sound like my church... None of the churches I've attended as a member have ever had chanting, a person up front who thinks they're superior, threatened us with hell for not attending. And the communion is symbolic (Jesus said, "Do this in rememberence of me"). It's just a reminder of his sacrifice, nothing weird- Unless you believe in transsubstatiation, which is the belief that communion actually turns into his body and blood. That's mostly a Catholic belief. Baptism is concidered symbolic also, or kind of like a contract, much like signing a contract or something like that (bad example, I know).

I can understand praying giving you the heeby jeebies . It can seem strange to someone who's not used to it. However, I can't deny it's power because I've seen it work countless times.

maybe you have a slightly one sided view of what church is due to your personal experiences?

luinil said:
@ SamuelRSmith: I don't hold those beliefs you stated, nor does my church. I don't agree with some of those, like the bread and wine IS the body of Christ thing... I my opinion if I heard that from outside the church I would be kinda weirded out too. I am not trying to bash people who believe this, but if that and the singing is all that is holding you back, check out my church online sometime. It is totally different than what you think.

Well, there is another thing that is keeping me back from going to church. The fact that I'm an athiest, lol.

^OK, that would do it! LOL! But if you ever decide to believe in God at some point, do check out lifechurch.tv. Great place, seriously. I won't knock you or what you believe. I am glad that you believe something though, God or no God. But just wondering... and you don't have to answer, but do you follow any traditional moral code?

luinil said:
^OK, that would do it! LOL! But if you ever decide to believe in God at some point, do check out lifechurch.tv. Great place, seriously. I won't knock you or what you believe. I am glad that you believe something though, God or no God. But just wondering... and you don't have to answer, but do you follow any traditional moral code?

Do I follow any traditional moral code? I don't really understand what you're asking.

I don't really think I'm going to be changing my views anytime soon. All of my main influencies (the majority of my friends, my family, and my teachers) are all athiest. And you know, athiests have Charles Darwin, Christians have Kent Hovind (I kid, I kid).