By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Turns One Year Old In Japan; it Sold 54,813 Units in 12 Months

Source (always remember to check it, guys!) is dualshockers.com

Original, complete article is at the source.

The Xbox One was launched in Japan on September 4th, 2014, which means that last week it celebrated its first birthday, as you can see from the Tweet below, directly from the local branch of Microsoft.

Since a year passed from that fateful day, we can now draw a line, and examine the full year performance of Microsoft’s console in the difficult Japanese market. The grand total of Xbox One consoles that found a loving Japanese home (according to Media Create) is 54,813.

Below you can see a table with sales week by week, and a graph showing the ups and downs for Microsoft’s console.

Setting aside a few spikes, the Japanese market has definitely proven to be refractory to Microsoft’s console offering, with a performance worse than that of the Xbox 360, which already did not fare very well.

[...]

Japanese customers, especially among the young generation, are actually very receptive towards foreign products, that are often considered “cool,” and even a status symbol.

[...]

Happy first Japanese birthday, Xbox One. Hopefully, the second anniversary will be better.

Around the Network

Hence why there is near zero Japanese support for a non-existent install base.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

That's how much the PS4 sold last week
Just Saiyan

I was only expecting them to sell around 2,000 consoles all year. They blew past my expectations. Good job M$!!! 💰💵💶💷💴🏧󾓥🗾

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=156410

This is why i doubted if MS would even release it there to begin with.

Around the Network

I feel sorry for Microsoft Japan. That's a big failure. I wonder what were their expectations before launching the console.

The real question is what a hell Xbox Japan employees are doing all day with such a massive amount of customers???

and... there it is.

Roronaa_chan said:
That's how much the PS4 sold last week
Just Saiyan

Basically... in 1 week the PS4 sold more than the Xbox One did in a year there.

Waste of resources for MS to have a Xbox one division and stores ect. there.

Such a flop. Its basically dead there. I wonder when they will discontinue it in japan

It's not like this was a surprise. I don't know how Microsoft managed it, but they made a console so US-centric that even Europe isn't exactly latching onto it in droves. Granted, the only place it is a burning wreck of failure is Japan, but that boils down to the fact that the One itself is very Western focused, more so than even the 360 was.

It's at least worth mentioning that it is really difficult getting Japan to move onto the current generation of home consoles, which is probably at least a contributing factor in the Xbox One's even more abysmal than predicted sales.