By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War Ultimate Edition Review Thread - Meta 82

Mr Puggsly said:

Nope, its still a great game. I'm in the middle of it. Bear in mind it only has 1 mixed review and 1 negative review thus far.

Jeff made it pretty clear he wasn't a Gears fan going in. If it had Horde mode he would have atleast gave it a 3/5.

Why would they get someone who isn't a Gears fan to review a Gears remaster that tried its best to stay true to the orignal? On top of that why does he completely discredit the multiplayer portion of the game.

"I have made my peace with Gears of War multiplayer. It's fun when played with some like-minded and like-skilled individuals, but after all this time the only people who are likely to stick with it are insanely good at it. So unless you're one of those people, expect to have people rolling up behind you and shotgunning you to death over and over again."

Not only does he make a massive assumption regarding the multiplayer community in gears to spin it as a negative but this quote as a whole represents the problem with the gaming community today. He can't appreciate the skill gap or the depth of knowledge and strategy around gears multi and instead sees it as a negative and moves on.

He has some fair points regarding the framerate if it truly isn't a stable 30fps and fair points regarding how the campaign has aged poorly although that is subjective but his arguments or lack of around multiplayer and horde mode which wasn't even part of the original are awful.

Around the Network

Microsoft should take notes on how to make remakes from Sony.

82 Meta from a game that had 94 when released is really bad.

Moderated - Leadified

the-pi-guy said:
LuckyTrouble said:
Honestly, I'm not sure why most reviews seem to be citing that the game hasn't aged all that magnificently with words, then post a review score that barely reflects that fact. Either it aged well and deserves a good score, or it hasn't aged well, is a half-assed remaster, and doesn't deserve a good score. When I hear "hasn't aged well", in my mind, I'm seeing a game that deserves a 7.5 by modern standards if it pulls everything off decently as a game that has aged poorly.

It is clear that many reviewers feel either that the game hasn't aged as well as it could've or that there are minor issues with the remaster.  

This seems to fit quite well into what the game is reviewed at.  

The original was rated 94, with 88 reviews.  

If the game aged really well or the remaster was done really well, the remaster would likely be sitting at 90+ like the original.  

I doubt it. A shooter like this getting a score in the 90s ain't easy these days. While Journey got a simple port to PS4 and has less value, but is sitting at 92.

You give too much validity to Metacritic scoring. I only argue Metacritic scoring can steer you towards good games. Do the most enjoyable games get the best scores? No.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

AEGRO said:

Keep porting artsy games because they review well?

Sony's ports of action games haven't fared much better. I certainly don't think a port of Killzone 2 with better graphics is gonna score in the 90s.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
AEGRO said:

Sony's ports of action games haven't fared much better. I certainly don't think a port of Killzone 2 with better graphics is gonna score in the 90s.

No Sony remake have dropped 12 Meta points...

just saying.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I doubt it. A shooter like this getting a score in the 90s ain't easy these days. While Journey got a simple port to PS4 and has less value, but is sitting at 92.

You give too much validity to metacritic scoring. I only argue Metacritic scoring can steer you towards good games. Do the most enjoyable games get the best scores? No.

People rate the games they like, highly.  

Lots of people really enjoyed Journey, I personally did not.  But that was a pretty new game.  That isn't a remaster almost 10 years down the road.  

Value is subjective, and I'm not giving metacritic unanimous validity.  Metacritic is a great source for knowing how a particular group of people liked it.  Is that particular group always right? There really is no right for this.  Entertainment is almost completely subjective.  Does it match your opinion?  Maybe not.  Does it really matter?  It really doesn't, because everyone is going to have different opinions, even if only slightly.  

And most critics are rating this game highly.

Ofcourse you didn't enjoy Journey, its boring. It was over rated at launch. If touched people emotionally that's great, but its still a boring game. With that said, neither you or I should review that game for a major website with multiple reviewers. That review should go to someone that likes artsy crap like Journey.

With that said, Jeff Gerstmann shouldn't have been the reviewer for this game at Giantbomb. He's not a fan of the series and it had a pretty significant impact on this game's Metascore. Even in the review you can tell he came into this game not a fan of the series.

Meanwhile the God of War III review at Giantbomb (4/5) was put in the hands of someone who made it clear he loves God of War. Listening to podcast I know Dan is the only person that enjoys God of War at Giantbomb. I like Giantbomb but this Gears review handled poorly. Jeff already knew he wasn't a fan of this game, because ya know... its a remaster... but he did the review anyway.

Recently Completed

AEGRO said:
Mr Puggsly said:
AEGRO said:

just saying.

You just blew my mind.

AEGRO said:

just saying.

Oh right... God of War III is only 11 less than the original release. Yet Gears is still a point higher. By the way, I assure you some Sony ports/remakes have had bad reviews. Because Sony was very cheap when it came to Vita ports.

Anyhow, here's another person that gives too much validity to meta scores.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
AEGRO said:

just saying.

Oh right... God of War III is only 11 less than the original release. Yet Gears is still a point higher.

Anyhow, here's another person that gives too much validity to meta scores.

The God of War III remake was just a straight forward remake with an added Photo Mode and 1080p/60fps.

meanwhile, the Gears of War "Ultimate Edition" included new campaigns, comic books, Gears of War 4 Beta, etc.

it was expected to fare better, but instead dropped 12 points from the original Metascore.

Like i said, Microsoft should keep a closer look at Sony remakes seeing how they fare better with the media.

AEGRO said:

The God of War III remake was just a straight forward remake with an added Photo Mode and 1080p/60fps.

meanwhile, the Gears of War "Ultimate Edition" included new campaigns, comic books, Gears of War 4 Beta, etc.

it was expected to fare better, but instead dropped 12 points from the original Metascore.

Like i said, Microsoft should keep a closer look at Sony remakes seeing how they fare better with the media.

I'm fine with MS doing ports the way they do them. I don't want simple ports like Sony does regardless how they fare on Metacritic.

I'm gonna stay firm here and say Gears Ultimate is a great product, even more so than most remasters.

By the way, I love that we live in world where people think GoWIII's 81 is better Gears Ultimate's 82. I think that's the epitome of spin. You praise GoWIII for only dipping 11 points...

Recently Completed