By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Polygon: Why Banjo-Kazooie is better than Super Mario 64

Ducks to be wrong, Ploygon. It might have been fun, but it's no Mario 64.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network

Any other platformer of that era could be considered better than Super Mario 64, depending on opinions (and agenda). It's a FACT  that Super Mario 64 was the biggest breakthrough of the genre since Super Mario Bros. (NES) and none of it's contemporary platformers could compare in that respect.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

its a valid opinion, but i dont share it. but both games are soo good that its just a question of taste and not of quality

Nah. Look, Polygon, Banjo was an excellent game and I do include it in my all-time favorites list, but it still is no Mario 64. As one of the best games ever made, and in my view almost perfect, there's a very select few that can claim to be even better.

I always found Mario 64 so much better its not even funny. b&k has aged worse but was never in the same league. Even in its prime.

Credit when its due though. B&k is the second 3d platform game ever that wasnt crap. I always though good 3d platformers seemed hard to pull off right. Mario 64 is still one of the best games ever and for good reason.

Around the Network

Lol I wonder how much of the $750,000 'grant' Polygon received from Microsoft went towards this "Controversial Opinion" promoting a game owned by Microsoft.

I like both games, but have no problem saying banjo kazooie is better. banjo tooie is also better. after that, nothing else is better than mario 64.

I really don't care if it's more refined. Mario 64 was the game that invented the wheel, so it will always be more impressive imo.

Why? Probably cause MS paid us.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Seems like a rather mainstream opinion I think. Overall I would have to disagree. Banjo Kazooie is a great game but I'm generally not too big of a fan of collectathons so Mario 64 is just a more enjoyable experience for me.