By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - *Official* Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates thread

I actually had to choose between Revenant Wings and Ring of Fates and got RoF because I had been anticipating that one more. RW will most likely be my next FF DS purchase.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

I bought it on my way home from class today. Haven't turned it on yet and probably won't for a while yet, but it should be interesting.

I highly recommend FFXII:RW to people as well. It's FAR better than FFXII was, so don't worry if you hated FFXII like I did, you could still like RW.

naznatips said:
I bought it on my way home from class today. Haven't turned it on yet and probably won't for a while yet, but it should be interesting.

I highly recommend FFXII:RW to people as well. It's FAR better than FFXII was, so don't worry if you hated FFXII like I did, you could still like RW.

O rly?

I actually loved FFXII.  

Why didn't you like it?

DMeisterJ said:
naznatips said:

O rly?

I actually loved FFXII.

Why didn't you like it?

More reasons than can fit in a standard length forum post, but a quick overview:

Didn't like:

-Any of the characters, and literally wanted Vaan to die a horrible death.

-The ridiculously boring and predictable Star Wars ripoff plot

-Vaan

-The fact that the entire game could be played without every picking up a controller in combat, and the fact that if you did want to use a controller in combat (not use Gambits on your party members) it was boring and repetitive (I much prefer turn based to that).

-Die Vaan.

-The forgettable and dull musical score.

-Die a horrible gruesome and painful death you annoying bastard Vaan.

-The broken class system where basically everyone had to be a physical fighter.

Liked:

-The pretty graphics and great detailed environments.

-The fact that I could rotate the camera.

-Being able to pick the path in which I learn abilities (even if the abilities themselves were broken).

-No random battles

naznatips said:
DMeisterJ said:
naznatips said:

O rly?

I actually loved FFXII.

Why didn't you like it?

More reasons than can fit in a standard length forum post, but a quick overview:

Didn't like:

-Any of the characters, and literally wanted Vaan to die a horrible death.

-The ridiculously boring and predictable Star Wars ripoff plot

-Vaan

-The fact that the entire game could be played without every picking up a controller in combat, and the fact that if you did want to use a controller in combat (not use Gambits on your party members) it was boring and repetitive (I much prefer turn based to that).

-Die Vaan.

-The forgettable and dull musical score.

-Die a horrible gruesome and painful death you annoying bastard Vaan.

-The broken class system where basically everyone had to be a physical fighter.

Liked:

-The pretty graphics and great detailed environments.

-The fact that I could rotate the camera.

-Being able to pick the path in which I learn abilities (even if the abilities themselves were broken).

-No random battles

lol.  Guess you hate Vaan.

I don't know.  I loved it.  But I am a Final Fantasy Fanatic, so I suppose that I'm just a tiny bit biased. 

But yeah, it did pay off to be a fighter.

Around the Network

Yes, I hate Vaan.

He actually wasn't bad in Revenant Wings though. He was, for once, the leader in the game he's the main character in *gasp.* Yeah, he wasn't useless garbage just along for the ride in Revenant Wings and wasn't nearly as annoying.

I really liked XII but after the blandness of X I guess I could enjoy anything after that. But you people are derailing the thread, this is about Ring of Fates.

ClaudeLv250 said:
I really liked XII but after the blandness of X I guess I could enjoy anything after that. But you people are derailing the thread, this is about Ring of Fates.

I'd take X over XII, but I'd take IX and VI over any of the other FFs by far.   

Anyway, back to Ring of Fates, I'm turning it on right now.  I'll let you know how I like it. 

I don't have any moogles to trade (yet) but I do have my Friend Code: 3952 6836 2012

I guess anyone looking to try WFC can give their game codes and I'll make a list in the first post. I think over time I'll turn the original post into a more useful piece for people who don't know what the game is or are curious about it.

I have only played past the abandoned town in Rubena te ra, so I am not very far into the game, but one big issue I have with it is having to switch back and forth between stylus and button control schemes on the fly. I find this set up to be really cumbersome, especially given the real time combat system. I'm not not really warming to the story either. Furthermore, the bosses were too easy and very boring and the level design is pretty basic and repetitive - find key, open door, use magic, open door etc. I hope it gets better, but for now I've put it down in favour of Apollo justice. Excuse the negative tone, but I guess I expected too much from this game.