By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Files Patent For a Console Without the Optical Disk (But has a Card Slot)

If this is NX would you buy?

Yes 142 44.65%

No 95 29.87%

Maybe 53 16.67%

See Results 28 8.81%

Total:318

If it is digital only then they can fuck off.

Around the Network

And just for fun, this is a post from a month ago where I mentioned both the gamepad and the all digital platform for the NX. In detail.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7436813

FunFan said:

*shy voice* But we still don't know if it's digital only...

spemanig said:
And just for fun, this is a post from a month ago where I mentioned both the gamepad and the all digital platform for the NX. In detail.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7436813

But its not all digital though... There is a memory card slot in the patent for the console which highly suggests it will be cartridge based...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Eh? But there is a memory card slot? It could be cartridge based which is what it seems like and not "all digital"?

I can't believe people are seriously harping on about this. It's literally just describing an SD card slot. You know, like the one the Wii and Wii U have. It's not cartridge based.

...Unless you and everyone else think it won't have an SD card slot at all and will only have a slot for cartridges. Because that patent only mentions one slot, does it not? Mmm.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Eh? But there is a memory card slot? It could be cartridge based which is what it seems like and not "all digital"?

I can't believe people are seriously harping on about this. It's literally just describing an SD card slot. You know, like the one the Wii and Wii U have. It's not cartridge based.

And how do you know its not cartridge based?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Wouldn't this just be a cheap Wii U with no optical drive? Like that Wii without an internet connection that they released at the end of last gen.

NNID: TanukiTrooper - PSN: MatrosRx - STEAM: TanukiTrooper

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

...Unless you and everyone else think it won't have an SD card slot at all and will only have a slot for cartridges. Because that patent only mentions one slot, does it not? Mmm.

It does have an external hard drive solution in the patent so it makes me wonder why do we even need an sd card anymore at all for storage

Edit: If you look at the patent as well... "First Basic Program" and "Second Basic Program" which are in the "Memory Card" and Not in the "External HDD" also goes into the console. So "First Basic Program" goes into Memory/Ram and "Second Basic Program" goes into the "Internal Hard Drive" which really suggests its a cartridge since the "First Basic Program" is most likely game files that gets loaded up into Ram and "Second Basic Program" is most likely any installation files or save data that gets written into the internal hard drive.

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You are looking at it from the point of view of the Wii and WiiU. But what about the DS and 3DS?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Captain_Yuri said:

It does have an external hard drive solution in the patent so it makes me wonder why do we even need an sd card anymore at all

The Wii U has an external hard drive solution. Likely just for the Wii/3DS games that'll be playable on the NX.

To answer your last question, though, we don't know. But you have to take a really hard look at what you're suggesting by thinking that Nintendo would put 3rd party developers through the same N64 garbage that made Square leave. You know, the Square that is planning on releasing DQX on the NX.

I don't think the patent shows anything other than a typical SD card slot. I don't think that Nintendo is going to suddenly think its a good idea to go back to cartridges, which are more expensive than disks, after over 15 years of using CDs on consoles. And I don't think that's an absurd thing to think. I think that it's far more likely that they're doing the obvious move of going all digital, like literally every other form of media has done. Books did it. Movies did it. Music did it. Gaming has already done it on PC. Nintendo is doing it now on consoles. I wasn't sure if Nintendo was ballsy enough to do it for consoles yet. I'm 100% sure they are now.