By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX: Hardware Specs, Games, Third Party Support And Everything You Need To Know

Basic break down of the device check the GAF link for more.

- HDD and two other types of memory present.

- Games can be installed on the HDD.

- It can not only connect with another platform that uses discs (possibly the Wii U) but apparently run games from that platform even the disc games on itself.

- Screen Controller

- From the full patent shown on GAF the memory card slot is indicated to be for the format which is non disc, the patent describes the SD card as holding game data that is read off the format or installed from it.

- Patent indicates the device can record what multiple devices of different configuration are doing, seems to be a hardware feature and not software.

- External HDDs supported.

- Full patent on GAF shows a Steam like digital feature is present.

- An SD card like format indicates possible compatibility with portable games.

- Very likely to be account based.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Soundwave said:

Upgraded Wiimote would not have done the trick. 

It doesn't address anything with regards to casual players and many kids preferring smartphones/tablets. 

The Wii U comes with a Wiimote bundled as standard in Japan for example, and that's the worst selling market for the system. Wiimote was showing signs of feeling old/outdated by around 2010, so that whole gravy train was slowing down years before the Wii U even came out. 

If I'm a casual gamer .. explain to me why I should pay $30-$50 for a game period today. That's your central problem. A controller isn't changing that, because a multitouch screen is as intuitive or even moreso than a wand controller is. So the whole "barrier to entry" issue has been taken away ages ago, no one really cares about that anymore, today anyone can play simple video games if that's what they want. 

Truth be told a touchscreen is probably easier/more intuitive to use than a wand controller is. I have to constantly explain to my 5-year-old niece that she needs to point the Wiimote at the sensor bar for it to register, or she has to re-sync the controller, or that she needs to press B or A or whatever, but with an iPad, she just jumps in and can use it by herself and can play games on her own. 

The Wii was successful with casuals but in a time period where it basically had no competitor to worry about. Once things like the iOS app store and Kinect and the iPad starting arriving, it's sales start to decline (circa 2010). And I don't buy that it's because Nintendo stopped releasing "big games" the Wii sold even during periods with weak releases (ie: holiday 2008 with just Animal Crossing and Wii Music which didn't really even take off), and the Wii was never really dependant on franchises like Metroid or even 3D Mario to sell well in the first place. A "big" game for the Wii was Just Dance, which it was still getting. 

There is no proof that people simply got bored of the Wii Remote, yes things like Kinect & Smart Devices started to eat into that market but that doesn't mean the ship had sailed, if that were the case than Wii wouldn't have sold another 20 million post-2010 when it basically got no support outside of Zelda & the Just Dance/Skylanders combo every holiday.

Holiday 2008 did not have weak releases, those games u mentioned, Animal Crossing: City Folk & Wii Music along with Guitar Hero: World Tour were all big releases that averaged about 4 million sales each on top of evergreen titles like Wii Sports/Play/Fit, Mario Kart still moving units.

This is why I hate the "casual" term, u are referring to all casuals as a single group of people who all share the same opinions/tastes, that's not how it works. Based on how ur talking, this is the video game market.

Hardcore-$60 AAA console games

Casual-free/$1 mobile games

Im sorry but ur pretty ignorant if u dont think there is any type of middle ground between those 2 markets.

I don't think there is much of a middle ground to be honest. Not as much as people think. 

If I like playing simple games without lots of buttons, simple arcadey games, what appeal would any console offer me?

More intuitive control? No. Multitouch touchscreen is so easy even 3-4 year olds use it with no fuss, where motion gaming can actually be more frustrating (commands don't register, you have to point the pointer, the camera loses track of what you're doing, Wiimote constantly needs to be resynced, etc. etc. etc.). 

More games? No. iOS/Android marketplaces are vibrant with tons of new games constantly being added. 

Price? Not even close. Nintendo/Wii and Microsoft/Kinect are not even remotely competetive here. Cannot compete with free/$1 games. 

Convienance? Nope. My phone is in my pocket all day and on my nightstand at night, I can play when ever I want, where ever I want. Wii or Kinect? You need to be in your living room, and you probably need to have family over to have any fun with the thing. No thanks. 

Now gamers here will scream "bu ... but quality games!", but if I'm a casual, I'm not playing even a 3D Mario game. Forget Zelda or Gears or Last of Us or Halo or GTA. None of that matters to me. 

All the break out casual hit games today are on iOS/Android too ... Candy Crush and all that. The last big break out casual game on home consoles was what? Just Dance? That's what? 5 years old now? It's not really that hard to see why the audience for simpler/more casual experiences is completely domianted by Apple and Google ... Nintendo and MS just do not stack up at all. 

A 10-year-old wand controller isn't going to turn this tide. 

Soundwave said:

I think the significant thing is if the controller is basically just a gamepad with a screen on it (albeit maybe with a Sharp free form different type shape) ... I wouldn't be counting on crazy sales based on a controller gimmick then.

So I guess being able to share games between the handheld and home console would be the new thing they hang the entire platform on. 

If it has an internal HDD and screen-based controller though ... that doesn't indicate a cheap console to me. 

The's more to it then that it's a combination of features they're putting together for an overall ecosystem, it looks to me that they're not planning on selling the device on one feature but the device as a whole with the unified platform representing the brand. You'll likely won't be able to see the draw purely off the hardware with out seeing the software side of things.

If it has an internal HDD and a controller with a LCD screen on it, likely it's going to be fairly expensive.

In which case I would think that the system must be at minimum as powerful as the PS4 to have any chance on the market.

And if that means scalable/shared library with the handheld, then the handheld would have to be fairly powerful to play even scaled down versions of such games.

Wyrdness said:

Basic break down of the device check the GAF link for more.

- HDD and two other types of memory present.

- Games can be installed on the HDD.

- It can not only connect with another platform that uses discs (possibly the Wii U) but apparently run games from that platform even the disc games on itself.

- Screen Controller

- From the full patent shown on GAF the memory card slot is indicated to be for the format which is non disc, the patent describes the SD card as holding game data that is read off the format or installed from it.

- Patent indicates the device can record what multiple devices of different configuration are doing, seems to be a hardware feature and not software.

- External HDDs supported.

- Full patent on GAF shows a Steam like digital feature is present.

- An SD card like format indicates possible compatibility with portable games.

- Very likely to be account based.

Sounds interesting.

Post more infos when you have them.

Around the Network

Lack of an optical drive makes it an automatic non-buy and it will be the first Nintendo machine ever to be one.

Soundwave said:
If it has an internal HDD and a controller with a LCD screen on it, likely it's going to be fairly expensive.

In which case I would think that the system must be at minimum as powerful as the PS4 to have any chance on the market.

And if that means scalable/shared library with the handheld, then the handheld would have to be fairly powerful to play even scaled down versions of such games.

Not really because the lack of media features that other consoles have and the removal of optical tech should help save on the costs, going by Miyamoto's words they seem to want an affordable price no matter what so chances are they sell at a loss if need be. The Patent also said example unit indicating the may be differing models.

Wagram said:
Lack of an optical drive makes it an automatic non-buy and it will be the first Nintendo machine ever to be one.

You do realize Nintendo made consoles long before the GameCube right?

Wyrdness said:
Soundwave said:

Not really because the lack of media features that other consoles have and the removal of optical tech should help save on the costs, going by Miyamoto's words they seem to want an affordable price no matter what so chances are they sell at a loss if need be. The Patent also said example unit indicating the may be differing models.

Removing the disc drive would save them maybe $10 ... disc drives are dirt cheap these days. 

Miyamotoo said:

Sounds interesting.

Post more infos when you have them.

It's more trying to understand and simplify the info that's the issue, here's more from the patent if anyone can simplfy it faster.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF NON-LIMITING EXAMPLE 

[0016] FIG. 1 shows an example non-limiting block diagram illustrating a configuration of a game apparatus according to a present example embodiment. FIG. 2 shows an example non-limiting block diagram illustrating a configuration of a controller included in the game apparatus according to the present example embodiment. A game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment is not provided with a display unit and displays a game screen on a display apparatus 5 such as a liquid-crystal television. The game apparatus 1 is a so-called stationary game apparatus. The game apparatus 1 includes a processor 10, a first memory 11, a second memory 12, an internal HDD (Hard Disk Drive) 13, an image output unit 14, a communication unit 15, a wireless communication unit 16, a power supply unit 17, an HDD connection unit 18, a card slot 19, a controller 3 and the like. The controller 3 is provided exclusively for the game apparatus 1. The controller 3 includes a processor 31, a wireless communication unit 32, an operation unit 33, a display unit 34, a battery 35, a connection unit 36 and the like. 

[0018] The first memory 11 and the second memory 12 are configured using a non-volatile memory such as a flash memory, for example. The processor 10 is able to read or write data from/to the first memory 11 and the second memory 12. In the present example embodiment, the first basic program 24 is stored in the first memory 11. The first basic program 24 is, for example, a kernel portion of an operating system. When the game apparatus 1 is started, the processor 10 first reads out the first basic program 24 from the first memory 11 and starts processing. In the first memory 11, for example, setting information for the game apparatus 1, information related to a right for the downloaded game program 26 or the like, version information for a program, or identification information for the game apparatus 1 may be stored. In the first memory 11, it is preferable to store, for example, data with high security, or data which is difficult to be restored or reacquired if corrupted. In the present example embodiment, replicated data 28 is stored in the second memory 12. The replicated data 28 is a copy (backup) of a program, data or the like stored in the internal HDD 13.

[0019] The internal HDD 13 is a magnetic storage device with a large volume compared to the first memory 11 and the second memory 12. The internal HDD 13 transmits/receives data to/from the processor 10 through an interface with a standard of, for example, SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment) or a USB (Universal Serial Bus). It is to be noted that the same interface as that used between the optical disk drive and the processor in the conventional game apparatus, for example, may be employed for the interface between the internal HDD 13 and the processor 10.

[0020] The game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment has a compatibility with another game apparatus on which an optical disk drive capable of reading out a game program from an optical disk is mounted. In other words, it is possible for the game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment to execute the same game program as another game apparatus on which an optical disk drive is mounted. The same interface as that of the optical disk drive mounted on another compatible game apparatus is employed for the interface of the internal HDD 13 in the game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment.

[0028] The card slot 19 of the game apparatus 1 may receive or discharge the memory card 7 such as an SD memory card. The card slot 19 can read or write data from/to the attached memory card 7. In the present example embodiment, the game apparatus 1 is able to read out the first basic program 24 or the second basic program stored in the memory card 7 through the card slot 19, and to store the read-out program in the first memory 11 or the internal HDD 13. This can realize, for example, version upgrade of the first basic program 24 and the second basic program 25. It is to be noted that the version upgrade of a program may be realized by downloading a program from the server apparatus 9 through the communication unit 15.

<Speed Control Processing> 

[0035] The game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment is able to switch the speed of reading and writing of data with respect to the internal HDD 13 between two stages of a high speed mode and a low speed mode. According to the present example embodiment, in the high speed mode, the game apparatus 1 reads or writes data at a speed with which the performances of the internal HDD 13, the processor 10 and the like are utilized to a maximum extent. On the other hand, in the low speed mode, the game apparatus 1 reads and writes data from/to the internal HDD 13 by emulating the reading and writing characteristics of the external HDD 6 which is slower than the internal HDD 13. The difference in speed between the internal HDD 13 and the external HDD 6 may occur due to, for example, the difference of interfaces related to data transmission/reception with respect to the processor 10. 

[0036] Even the game program 26 is created on the assumption that the reading and writing speed is set for the external HDD 6, the game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment is able to store the game program 26 in the internal HDD 13, and to read out the game program 26 from the internal HDD 13 and execute it by the processor 10. In the case of reading out and executing the game program 26 created with the reading and writing speed for the external HDD 6, the game apparatus 1 switches modes as described above. 

[0037] The speed control of the game apparatus 1 as described above is performed by the speed control unit 21 implemented by the processor 10 executing the first basic program 24 or the second basic program 25. It is to be noted that the speed control unit 21 may be implemented by either the first basic program 24 or the second basic program 25. In the present example embodiment, the speed control unit 21 may be implemented by executing the first basic program 24. 

[0038] In the present example embodiment, when the processing of the first basic program 24 or the second basic program 25 is performed, the speed control unit 21 reads and writes data from/to the internal HDD 13 in the high-speed mode. The speed control unit 21 switches between the high-speed mode and the low-speed mode as described above when the game program 26 is executed. 

[0039] The game program 26 designates which one of the high-speed mode and the low-speed mode is used to read or write data from/to the internal HDD 13 in the processing of the game program 26 itself. In the case where a command for designating the speed is issued from the game program 26 upon executing the game program 26 by the processor 10, the speed control unit 21 switches between the high-speed mode and the low-speed mode in response to the command. 

[0040] The speed control unit 21 switches between the high-speed mode and the low-speed mode according to its own judgment, for the game program 26 not explicitly providing a command for designating the speed. For example, the server apparatus 9 distributes the game program 26 together with the information indicating which one of the high-speed mode and the low-speed mode is used to operate the game program 26. When downloading the game program 26 from the server apparatus 9, the game apparatus 1 obtains information related to the speed and stores, as a table, the association between the speed and the information for identifying the game program 26 in the internal HDD 13. The information for identifying the game program 26 may be, for example, a game title, a program version and the like. The speed control unit 21 obtains the identification information of the game program 26 to be executed, and determines which one of the high-speed mode and the low-speed mode is used to operate the game program 26 by referring to a table which has been stored. 

[0041] The processor 10 of the game apparatus 1 according to the present example embodiment can execute multiple programs in parallel. This is so-called background processing, overlay processing or the like. The processor 10 may implement parallel processing by simultaneously executing multiple programs, or may implement pseudo parallel processing by processing multiple programs in a time-division manner. The multiple programs executed in parallel may include various programs such as a program for displaying a menu screen, a program for accepting change of setting for the game apparatus 1, a program for downloading the game program 26 and a program for browsing the Internet. For example, while performing game processing by executing a game program 26, the processor 10 may download another game program 26 in the background. For example, when an operation for displaying a system menu is performed while executing a game program 26 for game processing, the processor 10 may execute the game processing in the background and displays the system menu. 

[0042] In the case where the processor 10 executes multiple programs in parallel, the speed control unit 21 selects, for each program, the high-speed mode or the low speed-mode for reading and writing of data with respect to the internal HDD 13. When, for example, two programs are executed in parallel, the speed control unit 21 can operate the first program in the high-speed mode and the second program in the low-speed mode. When a request for reading or writing of data with respect to the internal HDD 13 is made from the first program, the speed control unit 21 reads or writes data concerning the request in the high-speed mode. When a request for reading or writing of data with respect to the internal HDD 13 is made from the second program, the speed control unit 21 reads or writes data concerning the request in the low-speed mode. 

[0043] It is also possible for the game apparatus 1 to store the association between identification information and speed, as a table, for programs other than the game program 26. The speed control unit 21 can select the high-speed mode or the low-speed mode with reference to the table. These programs may issue a command for explicitly designating the speed, and the speed control unit 21 can switch between the high-speed mode and the low-speed mode in response to the command. Accordingly, for example, while a game program 26 is being executed in the low-speed mode, it is possible to download another game program 26 in the background in the high-speed mode.