By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ad Blockers in web browsers, a solution or a problem?

Ssenkahdavic said:
burninmylight said:

Every time this question comes up, I tell people that NoScript is a bigger danger to sites than AdBlock and any of its varients are. AdBlock can be disabled across an entire domain with a simple click. NoScript has to be disabled site by site, meaning it's more of a pain to constanstly click and figure out with external site is the one loading ads, and even more complicated if you want to allow it on one domain or top-level site, but not the other.

Being more complicated is a definite, though it allows for maximum flexibility.  Some pages I just allow to run whatever they want (depending on what they are of course) others I specify very specific things (THIS site for example).

I like having as much control over what I am using as possible.

I do the same, because I also love having absolute control. But I sometimes get lazy to block specific scripts, and the site has to suffer for it. I've emailed the NoScript team a couple of times asking if it could implement a feature that allows users to whitelist all scripts under a top-level domain the same way AdBlock does, instead of whitelisting each site individually and giving them free reign across all domains. For instance, I may want to allow scripts from quantserve.com to run on this site, but not any other site that I visit. Right now, I'd have to manually give it temporary permissions to run when I come to VGC, then remove this permissions on my way out. I'd like to be able to say, "Run all cross-site-scripts on VGC no matter what because I completely trust that site, but if the same XSS is on another site, don't run it."

Around the Network

A solution that creates a another problem. I don't use adblock because, if everyone used adblock, the free internet would be decimated. If I don't like the ads on a site, I won't go there again.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One