By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Have you ever pirated anything?

Yes 124 73.37%

No 45 26.63%

Total:169
TheGoldenBoy said:
ps3-sales! said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
It's stealing.

I don't believe I need to explain to you why stealing is wrong.

You are the reason why the 1% laughs at people. 

If you want to fork over $15 for that new music album or movie to makes millionaires  more millions, have fun.

I'm just not cheap or pathetic. Entertainment isn't a need, it's a want. I don't have to listen to music, play games or watch movies. I do it because I want to and thus pay for it. I'm willing fork over $15 if it's something I like and will enjoy. I have no problem with that.

Please. Give me a break lol. 

I'm sure you've never broken the law. Never drank underage. Never stolen anything or done any drug. Never lied, cheated, or done something you shouldn't have. 

You sound so robotic. "I don't have to listen to music, play games or watch movies". LOL. What a joke. I love games, but music is literally my life. One of my great passions. I love it to death. It is a need for me. (Obviously not the food, water, and shelter kind). So if I went broke yes I would pirate all my music. 

You must be great at parties. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

I don't like pirates, but I think it can be something understandable (not justified though) in some special cases.

I don't support piracy, because I'm a musician and gamer that knows how both industries work, I also am a big fan of paying someone for their work if such work is something that I enjoy/get something good of. They give me hours of fun with their awesome games and their hard work, I support and appreciate their efforts. They give music that I love listening to, music that I can learn from: I support their hard work.

You pirate whatever you want, hopefully you won't complain when you achieve something and don't get credit for it/it flops/somebody steals your hard work.

ps3-sales! said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
ps3-sales! said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
It's stealing.

I don't believe I need to explain to you why stealing is wrong.

You are the reason why the 1% laughs at people. 

If you want to fork over $15 for that new music album or movie to makes millionaires  more millions, have fun.

I'm just not cheap or pathetic. Entertainment isn't a need, it's a want. I don't have to listen to music, play games or watch movies. I do it because I want to and thus pay for it. I'm willing fork over $15 if it's something I like and will enjoy. I have no problem with that.

Please. Give me a break lol. 

I'm sure you've never broken the law. Never drank underage. Never stolen anything or done any drug. Never lied, cheated, or done something you shouldn't have. 

You sound so robotic. "I don't have to listen to music, play games or watch movies". LOL. What a joke. I love games, but music is literally my life. One of my great passions. I love it to death. It is a need for me. (Obviously not the food, water, and shelter kind). So if I went broke yes I would pirate all my music. 

You must be great at parties. 

I'm Muslim so I've never drank or done drugs. I'll admit I pirated when I was a kid. My parents weren't rich and I didn't have money so I downloaded my music illegally. However, since a getting a job, I've haven't pirated anything.

Besides you should have checked my edited post in which I said I don't have a problem with people that do pirate. If you want to pirate something, go for it, it's your life. However, asking people why it's wrong or calling out people that don't like it makes you like like a fucking idiot.

Also, lying isn't illegal.

LuckyTrouble said:
Bofferbrauer said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
You're right as a singular. But piracy is why some games do not come to PC, and why some games are always online.

An activity is inherently bad if done at mass would be detrimental.

And why they have ever more invasive DRM schemes.

You all realize a lot of games haven't come to PC before because PC development is more involved than console development, right? It is far, far more technical than it has ever been legal. A lot of developers are still learning PC development, now that it's clear that it's a platform viable for all types of games. We've had quite a few shaky PC ports this past decade from developers taking their first or second stab at PC development, as well as outsourcing to developers that haven't done PC porting before. Blaming piracy for developers not wanting to deal with PC development may be the silliest excuse I have ever heard.

Always online and other forms of DRM are ways of treating piracy as more detrimental than it ever has been or ever will be, and it is ultimately an afterthought during development.

No, pc development is more shoddy because despite the millions of pc gamers they make more money on console one of those reasons is because of piracy.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

interesting convo so far

let me throw in a new spanner into the works.

What if you own the original published copy but download for convenience a digital one?

what about being frustrated with the DRM on some games that you can't get them to work when you have nero installed as they assume oh no mr pirate and are forced to get a crack to crack the legit game you just installed?

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:

I don't understand it. And this includes everything. From PC games, to console games, to handheld, to music and movies. 

What's the big deal? Everybody (from this site at least) talks all high and mighty about "Oh piracy is terrible you aren't supporting the industry blah blah blah"

Oh please. 

With some things such as independent games/music; I can understand. Usually produced by a small amount of people they rely on sales to pay their bills. 

But for other things: mainstream music, movies, games ect. The stigma is silly. 

You can't sit there and tell me if I pirate the yearly Madden or Call of Duty game like that's actually going to make a difference. Or if I download Rihanna/Jay Z's new album. THOSE PEOPLE ARE RICH AS FUCK. 

These people are millionaires. Could I afford to pay for the 30+ GB of music on my computer? Um no. (However I do pay for Spotify because it's awesome)

What about Jailbreaking your Iphone? I would consider that piracy. Or modding any old console. Lke seriously. 

Some people act like it's the end of the world and the worst part is YOU PROBABLY HAVE DONE PIRACY AT LEAST ONCE.

Stop acting so high and mighty. Would the industry fail if everyone pirated things? Duh. Will that ever happen? No.

EDIT: Glad there is at least a discussion so far. I would like to clear up one issue. While I will emulate games, mod old consoles (Wii, Iphone, ect) I do not pirate new games. I buy all my Ps4 games (mostly digitally). I am not trying to excuse my pirating history. But I will say that I support my Ps4 and the video game industry as a whole. I never have any intention to buy/own any game/music/movie that I pirate. Just wanted to clear that up.

First things first, modding is not the same as pirating or stealing. It is not illegal since you bought a product and are allowed to do what you want with it (it may break warranty labels, but that's dependant on the company).

Second, why is it fair that I but a game at full price and you pirate it for free? To pirate a game is to steal it. Plain and simple. You are not excused from stealing just because you only steal from the rich.

"but what if I get hard to get games or old games from older consoles?" I'm sorry, but you are still in the wrong. Such company may have plans to announce backwards compatibility, remakes/remasters, or ports. Or they just want to end said franchise. Whatever the reason, they have every right to do so.

I admit, I have pirated before, but I don't try to excuse myself for it, nor do I plan to do so for major titles

Cobretti2 said:
interesting convo so far

What if you own the original published copy but download for convenience a digital one?

what about being frustrated with the DRM on some games that you can't get them to work when you have nero installed as they assume oh no mr pirate and are forced to get a crack to crack the legit game you just installed?

If you own the original published copy, then you are not pirating, you are emulating. This is the basic argument for keeping emulators as not illegal. When you buy a game, you buy the ability to play the code, so you are allowed to play said code on an emulator. However, you are not allowed to redistribute said code. Redistributing and recieving without the purchase of the game is pirating and then things become illegal. This is the basic argument against emulators.

as for your second hypothetical, apply it to a physical purchase. If you buy a game and it doesn't work, you bring it to the attention to the company (perhaps through a lawsuit). But you don't go stealing/pirating another copy

midrange said:
Cobretti2 said:
interesting convo so far

If you own the original published copy, then you are not pirating, you are emulating. This is the basic argument for keeping emulators as not illegal. When you buy a game, you buy the ability to play the code, so you are allowed to play said code on an emulator. However, you are not allowed to redistribute said code. Redistributing and recieving without the purchase of the game is pirating and then things become illegal. This is the basic argument against emulators.

as for your second hypothetical, apply it to a physical purchase. If you buy a game and it doesn't work, you bring it to the attention to the company (perhaps through a lawsuit). But you don't go stealing/pirating another copy

No saying you download the pirated copy. Just the crack to patch over the installed original exe.

ps3-sales! said:

Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Because even though it isn't theft, it can still prove harmful.

Lots of people do it. Downloading from torrent sites is fair game.