By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Have you ever pirated anything?

Yes 124 73.37%

No 45 26.63%

Total:169

I suppose it's simply a matter of it being entertainment and not a basic human right. You can rationalize it however you like, piracy IS theft, and the only reason those games are largely unaffected as you say after pirating them is that the rest of us aren't behaving similarly.

I don't have any strong, negative feelings towards people who pirate games, but don't tell me that it's not stealing, especially in regards to newer games. There's a big difference between those who turn to stealing necessities out of desperation and those who just don't feel like dropping $60 on the latest madden. I'm not about to waste sympathy on the latter.

Around the Network
TheDarkShape said:
ps3-sales! said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
It's stealing.

I don't believe I need to explain to you why stealing is wrong.

You are the reason why the 1% laughs at people. 

If you want to fork over $15 for that new music album or movie to makes millionaires  more millions, have fun.

Christ, you're a moron.

Hi there.  I'm one of those non-millionaires who works on movies, and I've absolutely lost work because projects were shut down due to lack of money stemming from, you guessed it, piracy.

You're a thief.  Own it.

Tastes salty. You may have been told the project got shutdown due to piracy, but the fact is, if something is worth buying, people will spend money on it. You only have yourself to blame if you turn out a product nobody wants that nobody buys. If it never went up for piracy, that just means there would be almost no audience rather than the small one it got.

If you want to be bitter and blame piracy, you can do it all day everyday, standing on a street corner shouting through a megaphone in your nearest big city's downtown. Recognize that you're wrong though. Piracy is not substantial enough to finanically impact a project, and even then, you make the entirely wrong assumption that every download is a lost sale. Demand for a product and demand for a paid product are two very different things.

LuckyTrouble said:
Logic:

People assume piracy is some huge detriment to the entertainment industry as a whole. They picture millions of dollars being lost to those pesky pirates who chose to duplicate the product freely rather than pay for the original legitimately. They say that pirates are stealing and are taking sales away from developers. Of course, all of this ignores some pretty basic concepts.

1) Piracy is not theft. Theft is taking the original so that nobody else can use it any longer. Piracy is duplicating a product, maintaining the original, and taking a copy. Nothing is ultimately lost because nothing is actually taken except copied code. With that in mind, we're at the first level of why piracy is not lost sales.

2) People tend to assume that every pirated copy means one lost sale. What this doesn't acknowledge is that somebody who commonly pirates likely had no intention of buying the product to begin with. It isn't a lost sale if there was never intent to purchase. That's logic used to justify harsh DRM policies that people seem to think deter pirates. Having been a part of a couple of game system piracy scenes, I can safely say that a dedicated pirate will wait months for any anti-piracy efforts to be broken just so that they won't have to spend the money if they need to. In the end, all DRM really hurts is the people who legitimately purchase a game, being forced into an always online state or otherwise.

3) Piracy accounts for an exceptionally small percent of people. Such a small amount that even if every person who pirated a game purchased a physical copy instead, it would hardly impact sales. It would be hard to argue that anybody would notice the boost. Piracy is an insiginifcant part of the game and software industry that people are just really desperate to act as if it's something bigger because there is a lot of legal money in treating it that way.

In the end, piracy is blown way out of proportion and is used to justify terrible DRM policies by those that don't understand that it is completely and utterly pointless.

quoting so more can see

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Oh, and for everyone using money to justify piracy, I give you my top kek.

Video games, movies, music, it all falls under the broad umbrella of entertainment. Entertainment is not a necessity. Using the more common definition, entertainment is a luxury. If you can't afford it, you don't deserve it. I've pirated before myself, and even I acknowledge that after spending too much time using the same excuse. You are not entitled to entertainment in this world, but acting as if your financial situation justifies your piracy implies the opposite. That means you are putting entertainment in the same category as food, water, and shelter, which is absurd.

If you can't afford games but still want to play them, fine, but don't try to use your financial situation as an excuse for stealing entertainment.

LuckyTrouble said:
Logic:

People assume piracy is some huge detriment to the entertainment industry as a whole. They picture millions of dollars being lost to those pesky pirates who chose to duplicate the product freely rather than pay for the original legitimately. They say that pirates are stealing and are taking sales away from developers. Of course, all of this ignores some pretty basic concepts.

1) Piracy is not theft. Theft is taking the original so that nobody else can use it any longer. Piracy is duplicating a product, maintaining the original, and taking a copy. Nothing is ultimately lost because nothing is actually taken except copied code. With that in mind, we're at the first level of why piracy is not lost sales.

2) People tend to assume that every pirated copy means one lost sale. What this doesn't acknowledge is that somebody who commonly pirates likely had no intention of buying the product to begin with. It isn't a lost sale if there was never intent to purchase. That's logic used to justify harsh DRM policies that people seem to think deter pirates. Having been a part of a couple of game system piracy scenes, I can safely say that a dedicated pirate will wait months for any anti-piracy efforts to be broken just so that they won't have to spend the money if they need to. In the end, all DRM really hurts is the people who legitimately purchase a game, being forced into an always online state or otherwise.

3) Piracy accounts for an exceptionally small percent of people. Such a small amount that even if every person who pirated a game purchased a physical copy instead, it would hardly impact sales. It would be hard to argue that anybody would notice the boost. Piracy is an insiginifcant part of the game and software industry that people are just really desperate to act as if it's something bigger because there is a lot of legal money in treating it that way.

In the end, piracy is blown way out of proportion and is used to justify terrible DRM policies by those that don't understand that it is completely and utterly pointless.

Legally speaking, piracy is theft in pretty much every juristiction worldwide. While, as you explained, it doesn't exactly fit into the classic scheme of a theft, it could be still considered as one since you're taking something from the owner unaware, in this case the data of the software. And while they are not losing any data in the process, you're still getting something which you haven't paid or worked for or been given as a gift, which is another definition of a theft.

While not every pirated copy translates in an otherwise bought copy lost, the ratio is around 90%, in some cases even above 95%. Worst case being probably World of Goo, which has been downloaded over 16 million times yet not even broke the 500k sales. The Witcher games, which get released DRM-free on PC, also have piracy rates above 80%, meaning for every bought copy there are over 4 pirated copies. Which also proves that your third point is totally wrong to begin with. What's true about it is that piracy on current gen consoles is almost unexistent - but that's more because cracking their anti-piracy measures has become extremly difficult

Also, while the companies which made the games might be very rich, I still feel that pirating software is a big slap in the face to every programmer/artist/IT worker involved into making that game or program. The company might not be worthy of our respect, but their basic employes certainly do.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

Your arguments not very good, not all musicians or movie makers are billionairs looking to cash in  a lot is little bands/movie makers trying to make it big and well piracy helps spread the word it still hinders the amount of money they would need to cover certain cost. Now don't get me wrong I pirate movies, never games and well youtube has every song you'll ever want, but most of the movies I pirate are usually huge blockbuster or movies I would never see to begin with and if I like it and theres a sequel I'll see it in theaters or buy it to support them.

You say my argument is not that. Then you procede to contradict yourself. 

I also pirate "blockbuster or movies I would never see to begin with". 

How is my arguement different from yours? It isn't. I still support all of the industries. I just don't support the AAA/blockbuster in any meda forum. 

It's not like I go all and just download everything I've ever played. I don't pirate for my Ps4. However I do play emulators and have modded my old Wii to play games that I had no intention of EVER buying.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

MoHasanie said:

SvennoJ said:

Yet if you're still pirating in your late twenties, grow up!

What if you're still struggling financially at that age? 

Use your time to fix that perhaps?

Entertainment is not a basic right, but if you can't afford it, who am I to say you don't deserve to relax. Can't produce if you can't unwind. But all in good measure of course. I knew people that spend all their money on HDDs, blank discs, burners, label printers and high bandwidth internet connection to satisfy their pirate needs...

Btw I guess I still indulge in piracy occasionally.

I have some abandonware stuff on my pc, for example jet set willy 2, Frontier: Elite dangerous and Tombraider 1 (although is it piracy since I have the legally purchased box somewhere?).

Or when I can't buy a movie I want to see, I'll sometimes resort to watching it on you tube (hate the quality) Although that got me to fork out $41 for Solaris when it did become available.

And music, ps3youtube download for the stuff I like but can't buy :( And by buy I mean physical copies. I'm not paying for digital music files, screw that. I still buy CDs.

Because you aren't paying when you are supposed to

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I know plenty of people who had r4 cards chock full og games for their ds. Some of which they definitely would have purchased otherwise. This affects us as publishers make their decisions based of game sales. If they don't think people are playing or buying why would they bother?

I would suggest those who engage in frequent piracy are akin to that new roommate who argues that he needn't pay his share of the monthly cable/internet bill as, if it were up to him, we wouldn't have it, that we were paying it monthly before he arrived anyway, and that we would have paid it whether he showed up or not. In his mind it is perfectly reasonable to benefit from these without paying into them as nothing has really changed.

Nothing he said is technically wrong, but that doesn't make him any less of a freeloading dirtbag (we're not terribly fond of him at this point).

That said, I'm still not in favor of these absurd DRM efforts that are justified by an overblown piracy problem. It is certainly made out to be a larger problem than it is, but I can hardly fault people for trying to fight piracy so long as their methods don't screw over the rest of us.