By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can Splatoon sell more than FFXV in Japan?

Can it happen?

Yeah. 252 32.43%

Maybe. 169 21.75%

Nope. 356 45.82%

Total:777

People are getting very sensitive around here...

I predict FF XV outselling Splatoon's lifetime sales.

The king franchise of JRPGS is here to stay, so hold onto your wigs western studios. Xenoblade and Final Fantasy winning at your own game.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Swordmasterman said

Less than 2 Millions is a Flop for a Final Fantasy Game, this game will Fix all the inssues that Final Fantasy XIII Had, will Add a lot of things and will sell a lot Better than the Previous Games, i Expect this game to Sell better than Final Fantasy IX, Playstation 4, is Only some Thousands units Behind Playstation 3, in the Same Life-time Spam so One big Game Release will raise the Console Sales a Lot, when Final Fantasy XV, really Launch will Increase the Console Market on Japan, The Only one that Can Raise the Console Market on Japan this much are Final Fantasy Games, and you want to Down-Play it only Because Splatoon did 1 Million after 1 Year ?, with the Announce or Launch of the Nintendo NX, the Wii U, Sales will drop How do you Expect Splatoon, to Keep Charting Forever ?, he is Not a The Sims, a Grand Theft Auto, or a Minecraft, game.

in a Short Way you are Underestimating Final Fantasy XV, Potentially Sales while the Sales will be Much better than Final Fantasy XIII, because just Like Persona, we did not have a Final Fantasy Game for over 7 Years, Look for the Previous Release dates of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy 7, launch on september 1997, Final Fantasy 8, launch on 1998, Final Fantasy 9, launch on 1999, Final Fantasy 10, launch on 2000-2001,  Final Fantasy XII, launch on 2005-2006.

and you are Expecting the Splatoon, will even Exceed the Numbers of His Own Install base ?, and will Continue to Sell Forever ?, the Playstation 4, Install Base will be Bigger than the Wii U Install Base, and i think that Now the Playstation 4, Already had Surpassed the Wii U, Sales in the same time on Japan because it released more than 1 Year Later on Japan than Wii U, and Also the Playstation 4, will Last Longer than the Wii U.

Im not underestimating FF I think it'll do around 2mil-2.4mil lifetime and Splatoon will do Imo at least 1.7mil (which seems to make it 2n& highest selling game this gen on consoles. 

That said splatoon hasn't been out for a year and you realize it has the best legs this gen excluding AC and maybe YW1? You underestimate splatoon,  that it's not the same as it was before. There is a reason why predictions for FF are all over the place,  because we don't know exactly what it can do

Wrong, you are Underestimating Final Fantasy, you sayd "and will be Very good if will sell this Much" you Forget that Even Non-Main games broke the Million Mark very Easy on Japan, And Only Because one Game sell less than the other Dont Mean that the Next Will Sell less, Final Fantasy 3, Sold a lot better than Final Fantasy 4, and 5, but it did not make Final Fantasy 7-8 Sell  less than 4 and 5, Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy XII, Actually sold a lot more on Playstation 2, these games have International Version, and Zodiac Job Sistem, that sold Thousands of Hunders of copies on japan, Only 1 Game that is Final Fantasy XIII, sold less than it Should and this is Already Enought to kill the franchise even 7 Years without a Main game ?, it will sell Much above 2 Millions, Pokemon, cannot Handle the Sucess of the Past games this Means that the Franchise is Dead ?.

This Article is a Joke, i think that even the Developers of Splatoon, would Laugh of it, and even Final Fantasy Tactics, sold above 1.3 Millions.

Swordmasterman said:
johnsobas said:

Who cares about the sales of past FF games from even the PS2 era?  Things are totally different now.  Even FF13 will be 7 years in the past by the time FF15 comes out.  FF13 was the worst selling FF (non MMO) in Japan, and things haven't exactly gotten better.  Sales of the PS3 and PS4 are far worse than the PS1/PS2.  Every FF in Japan has sold worse than the last since FF8 (again non MMO).  That's a testament to the decline for demographic reasons and people are just moving to handhelds/cell phones for gaming.

You Know that Final Fantasy VIII, is the Best Selling Final Fantasy on Japan ? you are Comparing the Best Selling game that Out-sold Final Fantasy 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11-12-13-14, to say that the Franchise is Dying ? Street Fighter IV, is what ?, if you take just the Playstation 3 Numbers, he is the Second Best Selling game for the Street Fighter Franchise, so Why did you think that Final Fantasy 15, cannot do this ? did you Saw the Sales of Monster Hunter ?, now Final Fantasy XV, is More Monster-Hunter like with a Better History, Enviroment, Characters, and is the Most Anticipated Video game for Home Consoles in Japan, there is no other game for the Consoles that is so Awaited, My Predictions are 3+ Millions of Life Time Sales for Final Fantasy XV, on Japan.

i'm  not comparing it to FF8.  I'm saying EVERY Final fantasy game has sold LESS THAN THE NEXT FINAL FANTASY GAME since FF8.  That means FF9 sold less than 8, 10 less than 9 and so on.  Please read what people say before posting.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Swordmasterman said:
johnsobas said:

Who cares about the sales of past FF games from even the PS2 era?  Things are totally different now.  Even FF13 will be 7 years in the past by the time FF15 comes out.  FF13 was the worst selling FF (non MMO) in Japan, and things haven't exactly gotten better.  Sales of the PS3 and PS4 are far worse than the PS1/PS2.  Every FF in Japan has sold worse than the last since FF8 (again non MMO).  That's a testament to the decline for demographic reasons and people are just moving to handhelds/cell phones for gaming.

You Know that Final Fantasy VIII, is the Best Selling Final Fantasy on Japan ? you are Comparing the Best Selling game that Out-sold Final Fantasy 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11-12-13-14, to say that the Franchise is Dying ? Street Fighter IV, is what ?, if you take just the Playstation 3 Numbers, he is the Second Best Selling game for the Street Fighter Franchise, so Why did you think that Final Fantasy 15, cannot do this ? did you Saw the Sales of Monster Hunter ?, now Final Fantasy XV, is More Monster-Hunter like with a Better History, Enviroment, Characters, and is the Most Anticipated Video game for Home Consoles in Japan, there is no other game for the Consoles that is so Awaited, My Predictions are 3+ Millions of Life Time Sales for Final Fantasy XV, on Japan.

Are you gonna tell me now consoles aren't dying?  I keep stating facts and numbers and you come back with opinions.  Software sales are dying for home consoles, it's fact.  Million sellers are very rare now, the ps1 and ps2 had over 30 of them, the ps3 had 2.  You want to talk about street fighter 4, you could make a list that takes up the entire page of franchises that are declining rapidly since the PS1/2, while the ones that have increased in sales since the ps1/2 would be really just a few.  Fact is home consoles sales are dying, final fantasy sales are dying.  Maybe FF15 will sell more, it could but it also has a lot going against it.  DQ was able to sell record amounts last gen to go against the decline by re-inventing itself on handhelds and multiplayer, i don't see that kind of difference here.  Maybe it could sell a few hundred thousand more than ff13 but i don't see a lot of upside.

johnsobas said:
Swordmasterman said:

Are you gonna tell me now consoles aren't dying?  I keep stating facts and numbers and you come back with opinions.  Software sales are dying for home consoles, it's fact.  Million sellers are very rare now, the ps1 and ps2 had over 30 of them, the ps3 had 2.  You want to talk about street fighter 4, you could make a list that takes up the entire page of franchises that are declining rapidly since the PS1/2, while the ones that have increased in sales since the ps1/2 would be really just a few.  Fact is home consoles sales are dying, final fantasy sales are dying.  Maybe FF15 will sell more, it could but it also has a lot going against it.  DQ was able to sell record amounts last gen to go against the decline by re-inventing itself on handhelds and multiplayer, i don't see that kind of difference here.  Maybe it could sell a few hundred thousand more than ff13 but i don't see a lot of upside.

For you last Statement, with Final Fantasy X's International Version, he Out-sold Final Fantasy IX, in Japan so Final Fantasy X, on Playstation 2, Out-sold Final Fantasy IX, on Playstation 1, so is not Declining, Console Games are Not Dying Today Nearly Every Single game on Console sell more than 1 Million, just this Year The Order, BloodBorne, Call of Duty,  Star Wars, Fallout, Mortal Kombat, Batman, Until Dawn, Splatoon, The Witcher, Rocket League,  Halo 5, Uncharted Collection, Gears Collection, Super Mario Maker, Metal Gear Solid V,  Evolve, Life is Trange, Mad Max,  Assasin's Creed.

This are the 20  titles That Launch this year and Sold more than  A Million, your Statement is Really Wrong Now the Million Sellers are Bigger than Ever, the Best Selling game on Playstation 2, was GTA Saandreas, just 23-25 Millions, now even Call of Duty, do this  numbers per Year and per Release, and this are the Games that i Remember Out-There have a Lot more of Games and if a Game have The Minimum of Market he will break the 1 Million Milestone.

And for Japan, in the Last Generation over 5-6 Final Fantasy Games, broke the 1 Million Mark, with just one of then being a Main Franchise game, and the others being Spin Off, Saying that Final Fantasy 15, will not Break the 2 Million Mark is something really Crazy, He will  Break it and will be in the First Week.

Is Funny that you Believe that the Consoles are Dying, and Believe that Splatoon's Sales will Last forever, while cant Believe that this Next Final  Fantasy game can be a Sucessful selling game, You dont have the Data because there are not even 1 Main Final Fantasy Game, in the Last 6-7 Years.

And Merry Cristimas.

Around the Network

If we talking about "Can Splatoon sell more than FFXV in Japan" we need to consider few facts:

-Like OP mentione FF has been on a bit of a decline in Japan in terms of sales. Second, PS4 is selling bad in Japan in comparison with other PS consoles and very likly will be worst sold PS console in Japan, so FFXV probably will have lowest instal base than any previous FF game in Japan. So I don't think that FFXV can reach 2m in Japan on PS4.
-Splatoon at end of this year will be around 1.3m, from moment it was launch back in May it always been in top 10 sold games and very often in top 5 sold games in Japan, game become some kind of cultural phenomenon, saying that Splatoon LT numbers in Japan can reach around 2m.

But there is one more factor, FFXV want be PS4 exclusive, there is chances that game will release on NX too, in that case FFXV definitely will sell more than Splatoon, but I think Splatoon will sell more than FFXV on PS4 alone.

Swordmasterman said:
johnsobas said:

For you last Statement, with Final Fantasy X's International Version, he Out-sold Final Fantasy IX, in Japan so Final Fantasy X, on Playstation 2, Out-sold Final Fantasy IX, on Playstation 1, so is not Declining, Console Games are Not Dying Today Nearly Every Single game on Console sell more than 1 Million, just this Year The Order, BloodBorne, Call of Duty,  Star Wars, Fallout, Mortal Kombat, Batman, Until Dawn, Splatoon, The Witcher, Rocket League,  Halo 5, Uncharted Collection, Gears Collection, Super Mario Maker, Metal Gear Solid V,  Evolve, Life is Trange, Mad Max,  Assasin's Creed.

This are the 20  titles That Launch this year and Sold more than  A Million, your Statement is Really Wrong Now the Million Sellers are Bigger than Ever, the Best Selling game on Playstation 2, was GTA Saandreas, just 23-25 Millions, now even Call of Duty, do this  numbers per Year and per Release, and this are the Games that i Remember Out-There have a Lot more of Games and if a Game have The Minimum of Market he will break the 1 Million Milestone.

And for Japan, in the Last Generation over 5-6 Final Fantasy Games, broke the 1 Million Mark, with just one of then being a Main Franchise game, and the others being Spin Off, Saying that Final Fantasy 15, will not Break the 2 Million Mark is something really Crazy, He will  Break it and will be in the First Week.

Is Funny that you Believe that the Consoles are Dying, and Believe that Splatoon's Sales will Last forever, while cant Believe that this Next Final  Fantasy game can be a Sucessful selling game, You dont have the Data because there are not even 1 Main Final Fantasy Game, in the Last 6-7 Years.

And Merry Cristimas.

you totally misunderstood everything i said and it's very difficult to understand what you are even trying to say because the english is very bad and the arguments makes no sense. I'm gonna assume you are not an english speaker so don't take it as an insult, merry christmas.

Tbh it's looking likely in the long run Splatoon could outsell FFXV in Japan but only if it remains PS4 exclusive, Splatoon in 6 months has entered the same ship as franchises like Smash, Monster Hunter and Mario Kart where it's a subculture in itself and these are the type of franchises that become rock solid in Japan and sell for years until the next installment. Considering how the game was written off by many to be another W101 it's crazy to now see this game heading to the 4m in 6 months.

Swordmasterman said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Yeah because Final Fantasy XV is looking like a masterpiece just like the XIII, we need more pretty graphics, ridiculously high value productions and dumb teen storilines with 100 cliches,  innovative and addictive games with superb gameplay and strong personality are so overrated...

Really you are Saying this about the Biggest RPG Franchise that made all the Genre Rise, and also made what Sony, is Today, you are saying that is a Piece of Trash Overrated ?,  AFter 13, Really 13 Games after 30 Years of Work they did a Bad game that is Final Fantasy XIII, that even Being one of the Worst Final Fantasy (excluding Final Fantasy X-2) Sold More than 2 Millions Alone in Japan, and is Higher Rated on Metacritic than Splatoon is (Splatoon is 81, FF XIII, is 83.), Even the Worst Final Fantasy, is Atlast Considerable a Middle level game 80+.

After 7 Years Without a Major Release you will Send to the Hell all the 30 Years of Job of Sakaguchi, Yoshinori Kitase, Tetsuia Nomura, Nobuo Uematsu, and a lot of Other Great Minds only Because of the Failure of 1 Game in 13 Main games,  and also Because you Liked more a Paint Ball Shooter that is not even a Direct Rival of Final Fantasy, and Only Because  the Game sold over 900-950 Thousands, you will Deny the Sucess of a Franchise that Already Sold more than 4 Millions Alone with 1 Entry on Japan ?, and with Square Trying to Redeem they-self and Trying to make the Best game out of it, also Saying that this game will have the Biggest Vilain of the Franchise, is not Enought to Give a Chance for the Game ?, After 12  Good Main games and 1 Bad, you will trow the Franchise away ?.

I Even Saw Crazy people here saying Final Fantasy 15, will sell less than 500k on Japan, this People Really wants to Hurst the Franchise, because drop from 1.8-2 Millions to 500K, for a Game that Really will Have what FF XII, did not had that is Freedom to Explore, so Square Enix, will  Back Making more Final Fantasy XIII Games, if people want to Punish they when they are making the Right Things and Fixing the Inssues of the Last Game, there are a lot of Franchises out there that dont listen for their Fans, like Assasin's Creed, Call of Duty, Halo, Fifa, and when Square, start to make what Fans want and make the Game so Huge, With a lot of Life, and a Huge World to Explore, the Community must Receive this as a Gigantic Floop ?.

You are quite wrong. As of right now, when it comes to actual sales potential of RPGs in Japan nowadays it looks like this.

1. Pokemon

2./3. Dragon Quest/Yokai Watch

4. Final Fantasy

Viktor said:
Swordmasterman said:

Really you are Saying this about the Biggest RPG Franchise that made all the Genre Rise, and also made what Sony, is Today, you are saying that is a Piece of Trash Overrated ?,  AFter 13, Really 13 Games after 30 Years of Work they did a Bad game that is Final Fantasy XIII, that even Being one of the Worst Final Fantasy (excluding Final Fantasy X-2) Sold More than 2 Millions Alone in Japan, and is Higher Rated on Metacritic than Splatoon is (Splatoon is 81, FF XIII, is 83.), Even the Worst Final Fantasy, is Atlast Considerable a Middle level game 80+.

After 7 Years Without a Major Release you will Send to the Hell all the 30 Years of Job of Sakaguchi, Yoshinori Kitase, Tetsuia Nomura, Nobuo Uematsu, and a lot of Other Great Minds only Because of the Failure of 1 Game in 13 Main games,  and also Because you Liked more a Paint Ball Shooter that is not even a Direct Rival of Final Fantasy, and Only Because  the Game sold over 900-950 Thousands, you will Deny the Sucess of a Franchise that Already Sold more than 4 Millions Alone with 1 Entry on Japan ?, and with Square Trying to Redeem they-self and Trying to make the Best game out of it, also Saying that this game will have the Biggest Vilain of the Franchise, is not Enought to Give a Chance for the Game ?, After 12  Good Main games and 1 Bad, you will trow the Franchise away ?.

I Even Saw Crazy people here saying Final Fantasy 15, will sell less than 500k on Japan, this People Really wants to Hurst the Franchise, because drop from 1.8-2 Millions to 500K, for a Game that Really will Have what FF XII, did not had that is Freedom to Explore, so Square Enix, will  Back Making more Final Fantasy XIII Games, if people want to Punish they when they are making the Right Things and Fixing the Inssues of the Last Game, there are a lot of Franchises out there that dont listen for their Fans, like Assasin's Creed, Call of Duty, Halo, Fifa, and when Square, start to make what Fans want and make the Game so Huge, With a lot of Life, and a Huge World to Explore, the Community must Receive this as a Gigantic Floop ?.

You are quite wrong. As of right now, when it comes to actual sales potential of RPGs in Japan nowadays it looks like this.

1. Pokemon

2./3. Dragon Quest/Yokai Watch

4. Final Fantasy

Pokemon,  and Yokai, are Handheld games so this is another Market, Dragon Quest, sell and aways sold Close or even more than Final Fantasy, so this is not any News and you are Using  Data from What ? Final Fantasy, dont have a Main game for over 7 Years, try to Compare the Playstation 4, sales of the next Main Dragon Quest, with the next Main Final Fantasy.