By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What gaming generation was the first console that you played?

What generation did you start with?

Gen 1 46 11.70%

Gen 2 76 19.34%

Gen 3 98 24.94%

Gen 4 54 13.74%

Gen 5 71 18.07%

Gen 6 36 9.16%

Gen 7 8 2.04%

Gen 8 1 0.25%

Other?? 3 0.76%

Total:393
Sixteenvolt420 said:
Landguy said:
Pong...

Sorry, I am older than most here.

What do you consider old?

I am 45.  Considering that most responders mention consoles that came out when I was in my late 20's, I consider myself "older than most".  I was not kidding, my first game console was pong back in 1974!  We connected to our huge 19" TV.  a couple years later I also had the more commonly known Atari 2600, Colecovisions and INtellivisions and etc...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network
Danman27 said:
rolltide101x said:

How old were you at the time? Just curious lol

The n64 released when I was one lol. I didn't really start playing games until I was 5 or so. So n64 gen and ps2 had a lot of overlap timewise fore me. Then I really got into gaming in 2007 when I bought a ps3. 

lol, I was 7 when the N64 released. But what I was saying is that the N64 was the far better system for gamers under 11 or so. After the age of 11 I think their catalogs where pretty even but personally I will take Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time over anything on the PS1. 

I figured Gen 3 would be winning which it is, but Gen 1-6 are all getting a decent amount of votes!

D@mnit! I chose the wrong gen on the poll. lol!

I'm a gen 2 guy with the Atari 2600 as my first console.

I did skip gen 3 and kinda came back with the Genesis on gen 4 but really became a mainstay at gen 5 and never looked back ever since.

I did play on some older gen machines but it was with the third generation (NES) I really got in to games.. back in the late 80s early 90s. After that I just casually played with my friends when ever they bought new games until I came back to consoles in 2010 with a Wii.

Around the Network

sort of a mix of Gen 3 and Gen 4 however I picked Gen 4 because it's what I really personally started with, DKC and Mario World. however I was rocking out some Galaga on the NES at a very young age 

2nd generation, I my first was an Atari 2600.

Landguy said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

What do you consider old?

I am 45.  Considering that most responders mention consoles that came out when I was in my late 20's, I consider myself "older than most".  I was not kidding, my first game console was pong back in 1974!  We connected to our huge 19" TV.  a couple years later I also had the more commonly known Atari 2600, Colecovisions and INtellivisions and etc...

Ah yeah. I know what ya mean. Nice that Pong was your first. The first game i remember playing was the original Pac-Man on the 2600. I'm 38, myself.

Wasn't gen 3 the NES.... I wasn't born when it came out, but it was the first console I had.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
Landguy said:

Ah yeah. I know what ya mean. Nice that Pong was your first. The first game i remember playing was the original Pac-Man on the 2600. I'm 38, myself.

The real laugher when I think back to it, is that we could somehow spend hours upon hours playing Pong!  Literally, all the neighborhood kids were practically lined up to take their turn.  

As far as the 2600 goes, I was never a really big fan.  Most of the games were so simple.  My parents bought an Intellivision, and there was no looking back.

It is near the end of the end....