By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I am a Toys R Us Employee

ranzchic said:
Guitar Hero Wii is not just the number one version of Guitar Hero on Amazon, it's actually number one in all videogames right now.

It being the best selling GH has been the case since 3-4 months ago.

It's difficult to overstate how much better the Wii version is selling (in general) for us than any other version. The PS2 version is the only one that could even reasonably be considered "close."

I'd say we've sold about 10x as many Wii presells as we have 360 or PS3 ones. Even considering we're a toy store... that's a whole lot.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:

We recieved 39 Wiis this morning, Sunday, October 28th. We sold all of these Wiis within an hour of opening our store.

That's astounding really.

Its basically 12 months since the original launch (give or take a few weeks), and stores are (still) selling entire shipments of Wiis within 1hr of opening.

Has any other mass-market electronics (or other?) device in the history of... anything... had this type of sales curve/response?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Bodhesatva said:
ranzchic said:
Guitar Hero Wii is not just the number one version of Guitar Hero on Amazon, it's actually number one in all videogames right now.

It's difficult to overstate how much better the Wii version is selling (in general) for us than any other version. The PS2 version is the only one that could even reasonably be considered "close."

I'd say we've sold about 10x as many Wii presells as we have 360 or PS3 ones. Even considering we're a toy store... that's a whole lot.

that really is incredible. Could it be because it's the only guitar hero for Wii? Is there that much of a difference between Guitar Hero 2 and Guitar Hero 3 that Xbox360 owners are likely to pick it up?

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Bodhesatva said:
ranzchic said:

Guess that kills the "third party games can't sell on Wii" attitude, especially for a $90 game.

Now hold on people! Remember, again, we're a toy store.

We actually got 1 more Wii Madden preorder (8) than we did PS3 (7), and then the PS3 version ended up selling better. Our software totals heavily favor Wii in most cases, so don't equate "we sell 10x as much Wii" to "the Wii version sold 10x as much overall."

On the other hand, there's a big difference between 15% better sales (which is what my store saw with Madden) and 1000% better sales (as with GHIII). I would just say it's nearly certain the Wii version is selling quite well. Other than that, I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

My son works at a FutureShop (like Best Buy) and they found demand was greatest for the Wii version as well.

They have sold out of all Wii, 360 and PS3 copies, in that order, with Wii being in particularly heavy demand.  Interestingly, they still have PS2 versions left.  Not sure of the numbers, I'll see if I can find out. 

Bodhesatva said:

Now hold on people! Remember, again, we're a toy store.

We actually got 1 more Wii Madden preorder (8) than we did PS3 (7), and then the PS3 version ended up selling better. Our software totals heavily favor Wii in most cases, so don't equate "we sell 10x as much Wii" to "the Wii version sold 10x as much overall."

On the other hand, there's a big difference between 15% better sales (which is what my store saw with Madden) and 1000% better sales (as with GHIII). I would just say it's nearly certain the Wii version is selling quite well. Other than that, I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet.

No, I'm not saying your anecdote or amazon.com are solid, unshakeable evidence, but I think they're going to be corroborated by solid evidence soon enough.  If I'm wrong, I'm sure the forum will have a big plate of crow waiting for me.  :)

Gamerace said:

My son works at a FutureShop (like Best Buy) and they found demand was greatest for the Wii version as well

And this:

Bodhesatva said:

I would just say it's nearly certain the Wii version is selling quite well. Other than that, I wouldn't draw any conclusions yet.

This type of anecdotal evidence is the kind of stuff that leads me to believe that the Wii is indeed appealing to the PS2 crowd. Not necessarily people who have a PS2 now and are upgrading. My hypothesis is that the Wii is attracting those people looking for a console and would have been buying a PS2 three years ago. I know that's not a brilliant insight, just more grist for the mill.

Another week of updates to provide!

I talked earlier about all three consoles getting more questions and interest: that interest is now manifesting itself in actual sales. I've sold 4-5 360s and 3-4 PS3s in the last week; that's double the amounts I was selling a month ago (or in the 360s case, it's maintaining the Halo 3 level sales). 

Of the consoles sold, only 1 has been a 360 Arcade and 1 has been a 40 GB PS3s. We are sold out of 80 GB PS3s.

We just got in the 360s that are bundled with Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza 2. The price is still 349.99.

I get more Wiis in this Sunday.

Games that are selling well at my store: The Orange Box is still selling well. MySims -- for both the Wii and DS -- is still selling out once a week. Guitar Hero 3 is still selling well, obviously: I've now recieved and sold out of three shipments of Guitar Hero 3 on the Wii. 

Hmm that is very interesting, seeing how Vgchartz say that the 360 version of GH3 sold the most....I'm guessing tho that the 360 version is usually bought at Gamestop instead of a Toy's R' Us....but I'm glad that all the consoles seem to be doing pretty well overall.

Explanation of sig:

I am a Pakistani.....my name is Dan....how hard is that? (Don't ask about the 101...apparantely there are more of me out there....)