By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Revenue of the largest computer and video game publishers worldwide in 2015 (in billion euros)

Intrinsic said:

So? The graph is labelled "Sony computer entertainment". Which basically means PlayStation. Where do u think the money they get from royalties fall into? unless of course EA, ubisoft, namco...etc have also started making hardware. Everything Sony makes from their PlayStation division falls under Sony computer entertainment. All the revenue generated. This obviously doesn't translate to instant profit, that comes after whatever it costs them to generate that revenue is subtracted. 

Of course it includes what you're saying, but his point was that it doesn't matter how much Sony profits from each ps4 sold, because this is revenue, not profits, so all of it goes in there.

Around the Network
Roronaa_chan said:
Intrinsic said:

So? The graph is labelled "Sony computer entertainment". Which basically means PlayStation. Where do u think the money they get from royalties fall into? unless of course EA, ubisoft, namco...etc have also started making hardware. Everything Sony makes from their PlayStation division falls under Sony computer entertainment. All the revenue generated. This obviously doesn't translate to instant profit, that comes after whatever it costs them to generate that revenue is subtracted. 

Of course it includes what you're saying, but his point was that it doesn't matter how much Sony profits from each ps4 sold, because this is revenue, not profits, so all of it goes in there.

Yeah true. I stand corrected. I know that as far as revenue is concerned Sony sells PS4 and we are not talking about the profits. I just seemed to have committed that one fact in my discussion. My bad. 

BraLoD said:
WTF is a Tencent?

Chinese company. They own Epic Games (Gears of War), Riot Games (League of Legends), GLU Mobile (Diner Dash, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood) and then some other notable games of theres are Monster Hunter Online, Blade & Soul and ArchAge among other MMOs and Mobile games.

Seeing Namco there makes me so happy, I'm glad they're doing good.

ktay95 said:
BraLoD said:
WTF is a Tencent?

Chinese company. They own Epic Games (Gears of War), Riot Games (League of Legends), GLU Mobile (Diner Dash, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood) and then some other notable games of theres are Monster Hunter Online, Blade & Soul and ArchAge among other MMOs and Mobile games.

Tencent only own a small part of GLU (not a controling interest) and they only publish Blade & Soul in China (it's a NCsoft game) 

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
BraLoD said:
WTF is a Tencent?

They own 40% of Epic Games (a minority stake).  Epic Games is still independant.

It's nice to see the big gaming publishers are still up there :)

Glad to see Microsoft in the top 3! Even after all the initial negativity of the original Xbox One policies, it is comforting to see that the revenue isn't as bad as some people thought it would be. Just wish Nintendo would be a little higher.

I suppose Sony rounding out as the top shouldn't be a surprise. I wonder how this graph will look come Sony's upcoming Q1 of 2016.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

The revenue numbers are a little misleading. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo earn very little profit from each hardware sale, but it earns them lots of revenue.

So even though Sony has the highest revenue, they only earned about 350 million euro profit from their Game & Network Services division. Activision earned about 750 million euro profit, even though their revenue was much smaller.

I am also curious how that site got their numbers, because they don't quite match the official financial numbers released by each company. I am assuming that they mean for the last full fiscal year, since 2015 isn't over yet, and those numbers are much higher than the last 6 months of earnings.

sc94597 said:
Would like to see profits. Revenue tells us some things, but profits would tell us more.

Profits would tell a completely different story. Sony doesn't usually sell their hardware at a big profit, and according to Yoshida, only 3 or 4 out of 10 of the games Sony publishes actually make money

NNID: FrequentFlyer54