By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predict Nintendo NX launch and 1st year exclusives

NSMB isn't a great launch title, in general I think "standard" 2D platformers are on a large decline and NSMBU couldn't cut the mustard with the Wii U launch.

EAD Tokyo should be able to create a 3D Mario in time for the launch window so that would be more ideal.

3D Mario + Zelda + Diddy Kong Racing ... if Nintendo can manage that, would be a very good launch. They may have to do more heavy lifting right from day 1 with NX because third party support will likely not be so eager right from day 1.

I think the 2D Mario in general needs a reboot anyway, the "New" aesthetic is bland, they should go in a different direction for the next one. We've had 4 games in that similar style and I don't think anyone is beating down the doors for another one. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zorg1000 said:

Perhaps but I think Nintendo is gonna give the NSMB series a break, it has kinda run it's course and no longer feels new. Mario Maker on the other hand is a new concept for the franchise which releases in a few months and is made by the same team as NSMB, I could see Mario Maker 2.0 or an updated port releasing on NX in 2017.

Mario Maker and Splatoon are the two IP that I look at and say "these could have sold way more on a better selling hardware". They are genre-types that are mass market friendly these days. I'd expect Nintendo to want both on NX fairly quickly, maybe not right at launch but assuming a fall 2016 launch, then 1st half 2017 wouldn't surprise me. 

Mario Maker should be easy to port and iterate on, Splatoon 2 is probably already in the planning stages and will enter full blown development very soon if it hasn't already. 

Ya Mario Maker & Splatoon would have made for much better launch titles than NSMBU & Nintendo Land in my opinion.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:

NSMB isn't a great launch title, in general I think "standard" 2D platformers are on a large decline and NSMBU couldn't cut the mustard with the Wii U launch.

EAD Tokyo should be able to create a 3D Mario in time for the launch window so that would be more ideal.

3D Mario + Zelda + Diddy Kong Racing ... if Nintendo can manage that, would be a very good launch. They may have to do more heavy lifting right from day 1 with NX because third party support will likely not be so eager right from day 1.

I think the 2D Mario in general needs a reboot anyway, the "New" aesthetic is bland, they should go in a different direction for the next one. We've had 4 games in that similar style and I don't think anyone is beating down the doors for another one. 

Is this comment towards me? If so, I wouldn't think trying NSMB as a launch title again would be a good idea either. The fact of the matter is, though, that NSMB still sells a lot and is not on the decline. It only seems so because the Wii U is such a failure that there's not much of a userbase to pull from. Both NSMB2 and NSMBU have done well with the hand they were dealt. 

However, I do agree that Nintendo should try out another type of 2D Mario aesthetic. Mix it up a little.

The 3D Mario that they have been working on for a while

it will come with Zelda U and a game like Wii sport/nintendo land that shows the console primary feature.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
zorg1000 said:

Perhaps but I think Nintendo is gonna give the NSMB series a break, it has kinda run it's course and no longer feels new. Mario Maker on the other hand is a new concept for the franchise which releases in a few months and is made by the same team as NSMB, I could see Mario Maker 2.0 or an updated port releasing on NX in 2017.

The last NSMB game released in 2012, so if they released a new one in 2017 that would be a five year break. That's quite a long break.

Anyhow, Mario Maker and NSMB are not comparable. Mario Maker is more of a spin-off while NSMB is more of a mainline game. Nintendo won't replace NSMB with Mario Maker as they are not the same. However, they may try a different 2D formula in the same vein as NSMB, but the games consistently sell very well so there's not much of a point.

I think NSMB is only Nintendo franchise that really need long break or complete change of formula despite sales for game, basically every NSMB game is identical, only difference is little different design of levels.

I also don't see Mario Maker like new franchise.