By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital VS Physical

I will always buy physical if I can. I consider myself a collector and I can't collect digital. Only way I would consider would be if digital was half price.

Around the Network

Honestly, people saying physical is better is like saying DVD > On Demand or walking to your TV > using a remote.
It's literally night and day.

I keep going back to music because it's true. Why anyone would continue to swap CDs in an age where you can download thousands of songs on your phone and swap each with a mere tap it beyond me. All for what? So you can hold and smell the box? So you can sell it after you listen to the album 20 times? It's so silly.

Especially since digital hasn't even been fully optimized for consoles yet. Imagine a console that is fully optimized for a seamless, all digital, gaming experience. We're on the brink of something revolutionary.

I will always prefer physical. With music, I can buy the CDs and rip my music from the CD into the computer and put it on my MP3 player. With films, I can buy a Blu-ray that also comes with a digital copy. With games, I can't do any of this. Until gaming has a physical/digital ecosystem like music and films, digital will never really catch on with me.

spemanig said:
Honestly, people saying physical is better is like saying DVD > On Demand or walking to your TV > using a remote.

I keep going back to music because it's true. Why anyone would continue to swap CDs in an age where you can download thousands of songs on your phone and swap each with a mere tap it beyond me. All for what? So you can hold and smell the box? So you can sell it after you listen to the album 20 times? It's so silly.

Especially since digital hasn't even been fully optimized for consoles yet. Imagine a console that is fully optimized for a seamless, all digital, gaming experience. We're on the brink of something revolutionary.

I don't think I've read anyone acting as though it's a difference between walking to the TV and using a remote. You are saying we are denying the progress of technology when this is far from the case. On Demand might be in right now but it replies on a internet connection, no net connection, no on demand and Blu-Rays are better. :P

It's a case that at this time digital is just not as viable as an option as in other entertainment mediums. Game sizes are ever increasing, while music digital size is still what? a few mb per song? (Depending on bit rate). Singles from digital stores are the same cost if not cheaper than highstreet. Games need to stop progressing in size and be the same or cheaper in cost before it's a good option for the general public.

But you have to consider something with the movement of music from CDs to digital, it took years. CD sales still count for nearly 50% of the market. Here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26255173 - from last year.

Hmm, pie.

spemanig said:

why are you so bothered about some people prefering physical games than digital? It's everyones choice to do whatever with their money and enjoy their games in the form it gives them the most satisfaction, being for collection reasons or not.

Around the Network

Streaming movies or music isn't the same as downloadin them. I only buy physical cds if I really like the band and buy physical movies on occasion but usually stream them. Physical movies and cds imo are not collectable because I don't care to collect them. Movies and cds don't seem to hold value either like a copy of Twilight princess for gc or panorama cotton for md.

Low78wagon said:
Streaming movies or music isn't the same as downloadin them. I only buy physical cds if I really like the band and buy physical movies on occasion but usually stream them. Physical movies and cds imo are not collectable because I don't care to collect them. Movies and cds don't seem to hold value either like a copy of Twilight princess for gc or panorama cotton for md.

No one is talking about streaming music. They are 100% not collectable. They aren't meant to be collecteble. They are meant to be consumable.

I rather prefer physical, even though yearly I buy a couple of digital games at most. I agree that switching discs is kind of a nuisance, but I prefer having a tangible copy that can't be blocked by any DRM. What happened to PT could happen to any digital game, so I won't run that kind of risk. Disk space does run out. While I don't mind reinstalling a hard copy, digital games will vary on my connection speed.

spemanig said:
Low78wagon said:

No one is talking about streaming music. They are 100% not collectable. They aren't meant to be collecteble. They are meant to be consumable.

If your talking about games. Yes they are meant to be collectable or companies wouldn't make collectors editions, special editions, day oneeditions, chuggernog editions  etc.

Digital for handhelds mostly and physical for bigger games on consoles, pc mostly digital though sometimes still physical.