By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - AMD Falls Short of Projected Financials, In Position for Rumored Microsoft Acquisition

HoloDust said:

Yeah, pretty much why I would like to see Samsung buying them - their cash + tech could easily put AMD in position to relatively easy rival both Intel and nVidia...which is only good for us consumers in the end.

Then again it might be the beginning of a new monopoly on the dGPU front since AMD is already pretty competitive with Nvidia so Samsung giving them their 14nm transistors would obliterate their competition at ease ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
HoloDust said:

Yeah, pretty much why I would like to see Samsung buying them - their cash + tech could easily put AMD in position to relatively easy rival both Intel and nVidia...which is only good for us consumers in the end.

Then again it might be the beginning of a new monopoly on the dGPU front since AMD is already pretty competitive with Nvidia so Samsung giving them their 14nm transistors would obliterate their competition at ease ...

Well, they are kinda competitive when it comes to tech, but if it's to believe this graph, nVidia is killing them in last few years, so Samsung might give them back the edge.

HoloDust said:

Well, they are kinda competitive when it comes to tech, but if it's to believe this graph, nVidia is killing them in last few years, so Samsung might give them back the edge.

Nvidia has been doing quite the number on AMD over the recent years but I think that was because AMD didn't actively seek out the performance crown AND held it for a long time to strengthen their brand ...

When it came to performance, both vendors were pretty much neck and neck or leapfrogging each other given the constraints like both using TSMC but if Samsung were to give AMD a hand on a transistor level it would've spelt an end to Nvidia ...

You just can't beat having twice the transistor density when it comes to designing GPUs since they scale so well with many of them in comparison to CPUs ...

Samsung, apple or qualcomm is more likely

I think it would be hilarious that Microsoft would be making the CPU for the Sony Playstation4, considering years ago Microsoft approached Sony about making a gaming console together, with Sony making the hardware and MS making the software.

They are still using many Intel chips in their Surface Pros, I wonder if AMD would have something comparable? Also, does AMD make chips for the Lumina?

Microsoft usually has been making a big purchase every few years. Might be interesting if they buy AMD, but I think the current CEO would be against it.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

this is still the stupidest rumor of the year... intel is the cpu champ, and windows has a realy close relation with intel.
why should they buy amd?

and no, its not like nokia, nokia had realy good tech and was the only big company with focus on windowsphones.

Never going to happen. This is of no benefit to Microsoft who are focusing more on software and cloud than ever. They will always stick with Intel to stay ahead of the game in the server space too

AMD are a trash company whose share price is now less than a bus ticket and their market capital isnt even 10% of Intels. 

I could see plenty of benefits from Samsung purchasing AMD (smaller CPU architecture) but can't imagine what good Microsoft could bring to the table hardware wise.

I'm crossing my fingers this will be only a rumour and nothing more.