By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More hints of AMD's Potential Partnership with Nintendo on the NX

The bit on backwards compatibility concerns me a little.

Hopefully, they realize that they need to focus more on powerful hardware.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Another interesting point, they only made a deal for one (not two) APUs. I assume that will be the handheld and a dedicated home console is not even in early design yet.

czecherychestnut said:
People are forgetting AMD has a license from ARM to both use ARM designs and custom designs that are compatible with the ARM instruction set. An ARM/Radeon powered APU would allow commonality between the 3DS and NX which Nintendo will need if want to support both platforms (ala the whole fusion concept) without the droughts of this gen. X86 is still struggling to scale down to handheld level, yes Intel has some in a few phones but we aren't talking Intel with their 14nm Finfet process. A high end 8 core A72 based ARM for NX and an 2-4 core A53 core for 3DS successor would allow common code base to target both platforms, and still provide a massive performance increase over the current processors in 3DS (which is extremely slow by today's phone standards) and Wii U (a tri-core G3-level PowerPC).

Nintendo could also go Nvidia if they want ARM, but given Nintendo have used AMD for the past three home consoles (Gamecube used an ArtX GPU just as AMD bought them), it would make more sense for Nintendo to continue the relationship with AMD.

I agree with a lot of what you've said. The only thing holding them back is that AMD don't have an ARM chip due until 2017, so we might not see NX until 2017/2018.

Soundwave said:

Except Nintendo has had these types of games before with the GameCube and again early on with the Wii U and they sold a fraction of what they sold on the PS/XBox. Nintendo lost the audience for those types of games a long time ago and Sony/MS will never give them back as that is their bread & butter audience that they market to 24/7. 

At this point they're probably better off just trying something different. Nintendo's role in the industry has changed, their role now is to try and change up the status quo and be different. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not so much. That comes with taking the path less traveled. 

Besides honestly there's nothing wrong with embracing the family side of the market. The game industry is too obsessed with hyper-violent games, families should have a platform they can go to and play together. After all, pretty much everyone who is a Nintendo fan here became a fan when they were a kid. 

The Wii U system was under performing from the jump and much like the Wii, the extra care needed to make titles for it gave a number of developers and publishers the excuse to abandon it. The GC is in a similar boat, but its primary weakness was due to the medium size forcing either massive compression, cutting out material or paying for multiple discs which toward the end of the GC's life time hurt the ports.

Both system's had issues that made it harder for ports compared to the simple cut and paste you sometimes see with the PS and Xbox lines since the PS2 era. Nintendo has made decisions since the N64 that have made this much harder with their devices to be ported to, there isn't really a strong basis to say third party titles wouldn't sell on a Nintendo system because we have yet to see a decently powered device with a solid base try to sell them. The Wii U is the first Nintendo system that was strong enough to house most major 3rd party titles without constraints or major control issues, however the install base wasn't there due to Nintendo's failure to sell the system and relaying too heavily on the previous Wii's brand to try to sell it. Not to mention it basically pulled a Dreamcast, coming out first of the generation slightly more powerful then the last generation but showing nothing to display itself as 'next-generation' or a must own over just buying the other titles on cheaper similarly powered systems. It is why the Wii version of Just Dance I think still outsold all other version even when it went multiplatform.

I do agree, Nintendo can't really afford to try to cater to getting major third parties back since at this point there is probably a huge divide and no trust between all participants, which makes for a dangerous and stupid gamble in any business. However, they should not discount potential 3rd party support or build another system that will alienate it from getting anything down the road.

Scoobes said:

I agree with a lot of what you've said. The only thing holding them back is that AMD don't have an ARM chip due until 2017, so we might not see NX until 2017/2018.

Which is the reason it won't be ARM. To delay a product one or two years waiting for semi-custom designs to be ready is unthinkable.

AMD has tapped out only Zen/Arctic Islands designs for 2016 on 16/14nm FinFets. It's a given the NX will release in 2016. So yeah.

If they were to take ARM it would be from someone else.

Around the Network

AMD is still planning to release an ARM core in late 2015, namely the AMD Opteron A1100 with ARM Cortex-A57 cores (no GPU). They sold dev kits back in 2014.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amd-delays-its-first-arm-based-opteron-seattle-cpu-to-second-half-of-2015/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amd-begins-to-sell-arm-based-opteron-seattle-kits-to-software-developers/

spurgeonryan said:
numberwang said:
Another interesting point, they only made a deal for one (not two) APUs. I assume that will be the handheld and a dedicated home console is not even in early design yet.

I thought the big rumor was that it will be a handheld/console mixed?

That is what most people have been saying since Nintendo merged their handheld and console hardware departments a few years ago.

numberwang said:

AMD is still planning to release an ARM core in late 2015, namely the AMD Opteron A1100 with ARM Cortex-A57 cores (no GPU). They sold dev kits back in 2014.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amd-delays-its-first-arm-based-opteron-seattle-cpu-to-second-half-of-2015/

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amd-begins-to-sell-arm-based-opteron-seattle-kits-to-software-developers/

That's a server chip though so the question remains, how useful that'd be in the design of a custom chip for the console space? Especially when it needs to be combined with a GPU.

spurgeonryan said:
numberwang said:

I thought the big rumor was that it will be a handheld/console mixed?

That's an internet rumor/theory. Nothing more, nothing less.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

numberwang said:

They've got 3 new designs in the works. 

Two were announced last year, one being x86 and the other being ARM. One of these is expected to be gaming related and start being produced in the second half of 2016. One is expected to go beyond gaming but also production will start second half 2016. 

One announced this year. It is unknown when it is going to be produced. 

All 3 combined will be expected to bring up to $1.5 billion in revenue for AMD over the lifecycle of each.