By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More hints of AMD's Potential Partnership with Nintendo on the NX

97alexk said:
Pavolink said:
Ugh, backwards compatible. I fear this will hold once again the console.

What??? I love backwards compability, thats what makes xbox one and PS4 less appealing imo. though xbox one has some sort of backwards compablity, it has a long way to go.

You might love it, but it's obviously not a priority feature to the majority of people. It's worth considering the potential benefits of not including it (e.g. joining Sony, MS, and PC with x86, making it much more port friendly), and if those benefits might provide a bigger boost to sales than backwards compatibility. We'll have to wait and see what Nintendo actually does, but it's certainly not a decision they should make without a lot of thought.

There is also the option of going with x86 and using software emulation, but that will require the WiiU's successor to be a huge hardware leap forwards.

Around the Network

Honest question here - does this mean if Zelda U is going to be ported to NX (if NX comes out next year), could the NX version release first just like Twilight Princess for Wii since x86 is much different than Wii U's Power PC chip?

why would nintendo want backwards compatibility when they could do a sony and sell remastered versions of older games on their new console.

Metroid33slayer said:
why would nintendo want backwards compatibility when they could do a sony and sell remastered versions of older games on their new console.

I know, because Nintendo's never remastered a game before.  lol.

AMD offers ARM technology as well and that would be better for a handheld (3DS has ARM as well) - cheap and somewhat powerful enugh. There may be no x86 involved at all, after all that's the power race that Nintendo doesn't want to go. A modern ARM should also be able to suppoert WiiU games, if they are recompiled.

Around the Network
Mr.Playstation said:
97alexk said:
Pavolink said:
Ugh, backwards compatible. I fear this will hold once again the console.

What??? I love backwards compability, thats what makes xbox one and PS4 less appealing imo. though xbox one has some sort of backwards compablity, it has a long way to go.

The PS4 does have backwards compatibility. It's called PS Now.

He meant a console that has the capability to play digital and disc based games THAT YOU ALREADY OWN from the previous generation, on a new console. Forcing people to pay for/rent games they already own, is not the same thing.

Everyone likes backwards compatibility. No one is saying they don't but I'm not sure it's worth it if it holds back the NX. It's a nice bonus feature that I don't expect any console maker to implement. I agree with Sony that as much as people request it it is often rarely used. If I'm going to replay a game I usually prefer playing an upscaled or updated version. How often do people play sd Wii games on their Wii U anyway?

Game Boy  master race

TacticalWizardQuest said:
Everyone likes backwards compatibility. No one is saying they don't but I'm not sure it's worth it if it holds back the NX. It's a nice bonus feature that I don't expect any console maker to implement. I agree with Sony that as much as people request it it is often rarely used. If I'm going to replay a game I usually prefer playing an upscaled or updated version. How often do people play sd Wii games on their Wii U anyway?

Can't speak for anybody else, but I play Wii games quite a bit on my Wii U  

Metroid33slayer said:

You think things being backwards compatibile has ever stopped Nintendo from reselling older games?

Lol, that is so naive.

People we need backwards compatibility for this: