By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If you thought Splatoon was a $20 e-shop game and would flop

How good is Splatoon really?

Lets say it this way: from the first glimpse of last years E3 over the Global Testfire I was sold.

I bought it as an eShop title - which I do with all titles I intend to play often as I don't want to change disks...

I bought the Boy and Girl Amiibo (living here in Europe we didn't get them in a pack of three)

I had luck to get a special bundle with the Squid Amiibo and the Disc. The Disc was sold (with a little loss) on ebay...

So overall I spend about 90 - 100 EUR for Splatoon.

Is it worth it? EVERY PENNY.

Splatoon is such addicting that it tops the play times per month of all my games easily.

Around the Network

I am so sorry. Had absolutely no expectations for this game. I'm glad I was wrong, though. The hype was real.

spemanig said:
It still is a $20 eshop game, and it should have flopped. No one apologizes when COD sells well, and it's 20 times the game Splatoon is.

It's just 20 times its size in mb, but it's a cancer that should have been erased from existence many years ago.

Go buy Splatoon.

Skullwaker said:
If you think people are going to apologize, I'm sorry to tell you that won't happen.

It's called moving the goal post.

Some of the posters here haven't so much moved the goal posts in regards to this game as they have moved the posts, swapped in a flat ball and changed the score. The truth is Splatoon's success has far surpassed even those of us (such as myself) that were unusually optimistic about it, but you'll still get the "meh's" from those who were calling a flop not long ago.

success has a thousand fathers while failure is an orphan

Around the Network
gatito said:
spemanig said:
It still is a $20 eshop game, and it should have flopped. No one apologizes when COD sells well, and it's 20 times the game Splatoon is.

It's just 20 times its size in mb, but it's a cancer that should have been erased from existence many years ago.

Go buy Splatoon.

Or, you know, people actually enjoy playing it. I know thats hard for a lot of narrow-minded gamers to understand.

Splatoon seems like a good game, but will I even consider buying a Wii U because of it? Nah.

Johnw1104 said:
Skullwaker said:
If you think people are going to apologize, I'm sorry to tell you that won't happen.

It's called moving the goal post.

Some of the posters here haven't so much moved the goal posts in regards to this game as they have moved the posts, swapped in a flat ball and changed the score. The truth is Splatoon's success has far surpassed even those of us (such as myself) that were unusually optimistic about it, but you'll still get the "meh's" from those who were calling a flop not long ago.

Well, we are just seeing both sides of the spectrum here. Just as there are people who will call splatoon a failure, there are those who are claiming splatoon to be the next best thing and asking others to apologize.

I'll be honest, I still don't like splatoon. But I won't deny that others do and that Nintendo did a good job here. That doesn't mean we should expect others to apologize over having an opinion. That's probably why the "meh's" come from

SvennoJ said:
I was expecting a $40 or $50 physical release, instead it's $70 and doesn't even have split screen. It might be fun but not worth hearing my kids fight over who gets to play. Pass.

70$? Where do you live?

Eddie_Raja said:
Better yet how about someone explains to me why the game did so well. My guess is Wii U owners were desperate for a new game. I mean if the third parties leave then what's left?

Because there was a lot of hype for it? Kirby's Rainbow Curse and Captain Toad didn't sell anywhere near Splatoon's level.

After watching the reveal at last year's E3, I thought of four words: "Summer Release - Million Seller". Not quite the Summer release, but quite the quick seller. Oh, I also thought "de Blob?".

Marketing campaign did wonders, it seems... One can only hope for Xenoblade to receive a similar treatment.

burning_phoneix said:
SvennoJ said:
I was expecting a $40 or $50 physical release, instead it's $70 and doesn't even have split screen. It might be fun but not worth hearing my kids fight over who gets to play. Pass.

70$? Where do you live?

Canada. Game prices are rising fast here. Physical releases are still $68, yet digital is up to $80 already on psn.