By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - AMAZING looking trailer: The Shannara Chronicles (Fantasy TV Series)

starcraft said:
pokoko said:

If you like LOTR inspired high fantasy, sure.  The first book is probably one of the weakest in the series, though.  The second book is better on nearly every level and it begins to break from the LOTR formula after that.

There are better written and more imaginative works out there, though.  Just depends on what you're after.

Recommendations?

I liked reading LOTR, and I had a great time with a lot of Robin Hobb fantasy as well.

The Earthsea Saga is classic fantasy and Ursula Le Guin is a gifted writer.  Perhaps a bit slow and thoughtful for those looking for constant battles and sword-fighting but the story itself is very good.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist, which starts off with Magician/Apprentice, is excellent.  He had a wonderful vision for these first four books which span decades and gives us some great characters.  It starts very simply with a young magician's apprentice at a border town, which happens to be near where a rift opens.  Human invaders pour through (basically Japanese) but there is something much more sinister behind the scenes.  Highly recommended, though I would suggest stopping at the first four books.  The author returns to the world for several more sagas but they aren't nearly as epic or as satisfying--at least, the ones I read before giving up.

The Dark Elf trilogy by R.A. Salvatore.  Now, let me start off by saying that I've read a fair number of Salvatore's books and he does deserve his reputation as a "CoD" type writer who churns out novels that aren't very memorable.  However, The Dark Elf trilogy deserves all the praise it gets.  This set of books, which chronicle Drizzt's life before he left Dark Elf society, are absolutely fasinating.  There really is nothing like them, as they explore the emotions of a child growing up in a society of pure evil.  If you like, you can start out with the iconic Icewind Dale Trilogy, which is Drizzt's first appearance but come after the events in the Dark Elf Trilogy, but they're closer to average in terms of content.  Also, Salvatore is an absolute master at writing sword-play, easily the best I've ever read.

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld.  I consider this one of the best fantasy books ever written, and the same with her Riddlemaster Trilogy and several other novels, but I also fully admit that Patricia McKillip is not for everyone.  She writes almost like poetry, with some of the most beautiful prose I've ever come across, but it's etheral and flowing, not concrete and detailed, marking it as different from how most fantasy is written.  They read almost like fairy tales and are full of emotion and wonder.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.  This books is something different but it's also very, very good.  It's dark, there is violence and cursing and death, but it's also witty and clever.  It's about a young con artist/thief and his band of former orphans who are looking to pull off a job that could make them very wealthy--or very dead.  Kind of an Oceans 11 type story in a fantasy city but it's definitely not a novel where you can assume the good guys are going to win.

Right now, I'm reading The Blade Itself by Joe Ambercrombie and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  It bounces back and forth between a handful of characters, some of which are pretty vile, including a ruthless Inquisitor for the Crown who became an expert at torture after having his own body broken and mained.  It's dark but the writing is good and the characters memorable.

Around the Network

This will be like the other NZ show Legend of the seeker, canned when it gets interesting.

pokoko said:

In the case of Shannara, attractive, "young" looking characters make all the sense in the world.  Lots of Elven characters and human characters with Elven blood.  If I remember right, some Elven blood is required to use the relics of Shannara (and thus be a protagonist).

Shannara is very LOTR.  Pretty much every early book is about the protagonist and his party undertaking a quest to do something to stop evil while the demon host, which is trying to re-enter the world from another dimension, attempts to stop them.  The books are held together by Allanon, a mysterious druid who appears when things are bad, very like Gandalf.  The inspiration in the first novel is obvious, though the series does come into its own in later books.  People should keep in mind that these were written in a time when popular "fantasy" basically followed a standard formula of good versus evil.

A Game of Thrones, which I read about the time it came out, pretty much breathed new life into the genre.  There were other books that were gritty but you had to go to science fiction if you wanted unpredictable.  The Thomas Covenant novels were about the only thing that was really out of left field and they were never going to be mainstream, not when the main character rapes is a leper who believes the fantasy world he finds himself in is nothing but a delusion.

If that is how it goes, then sounds great. As long as it has well-thought humor, no much melo-drama, and Twilight romance I think it will be ok. :)

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1