By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SOE Boss Says, No, PC Gaming is Not Dead...

From Kotaku:

PC gaming's dead! PC gaming's dead! The town crier runs down the street screaming that, ringing his fucking bell, on an almost daily basis these days, and while most townsfolk just nod their heads sombrely in agreement, one man's having none of it. That man? Sonly Online Entertainment boss John Smedley:

It's ridiculous and foolish to say that PC gaming [is in decline]. I've seen some of the dumbest quotes out there about the business [falling apart]. It's just not true. The simple truth is the online business is picking up in a huge way. If you're able to add in - and NPD is beginning to track this stuff - the digital sales and regular sales and subscription money and all that stuff, the PC gaming industry is at its strongest point in its history period.

So what he tells us is true...from...a certain point of view. Though I'd like to see the numbers that have it at its "strongest point in its history" if you took WoW out of the equation.

Even studios owned by console manufacturers believe that PC gaming is doing just fine.

Around the Network

Yeah. I'd agree actually. It's just "traditional" games are lower, but still far from dying then usual in the american market, (and possible others not sure.)

There are plenty of other games that bring in loads of money. Including the rise of free games driven by advertising profits which he doesn't even take into account.

Ah ha ha. "If you took WoW out of the equation."  Yes, that's excellent analysis.

Let's take the Wii out of the equation. How are console manufacturers doing now? Well, they've collectively lost 4 billion+ dollars in the last three years. Consoles are dying!  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

woot go SOE

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Bodhesatva said:

Ah ha ha. "If you took WoW out of the equation." Yes, that's excellent analysis.

Let's take the Wii out of the equation. How are console manufacturers doing now? Well, they've collectively lost 4 billion+ dollars in the last three years. Consoles are dying!

That made me lol.  He's wrong that NPD is beginning to track digital sales though.  They are still completely data ignorant of Steam and other download services.  Not that NPD is really relevant in the PC market today anyway...

Around the Network

From here on in, it's PC's all the way! 8800x models + 9600-9800's and Hd2900+ all the way to 3870x2 are more powerful than all consoles all the time. :) Price range - 160-400 are all ahead now. Then we have the 55nm g92 refresh to go under the Gt200 on the Nvida side, and the R700 series to go on the AMD side. That's just by the end of this year. Next year we'll have a 45 nm R700+ the gt200 refreshes to 45nm as well. Hardest choice now is when to upgrade my PC!

On the CPU side we have Nehalem coming to rule that roost.

We got games coming out of our ears. So yep, it's good to own a gaming pc right now. I think I can finally drop the Xbox/PS to exclusive AAA game duty and concentrate on the pc. I want to play crysis! I haven't played it yet because i've been waiting for the new cards to drop.

No offense to console gamers, but if you want to spend the money... P.C is where it's at.

Tease.

I don't think there are many console gamers who would deny that PC gaming offers more features and a better experience if you have the money. People are just scared to spend the money, but it's not really as costly as people think either. I built my PC for $500 and it has no difficulty at all playing nearly everything out at max. The only thing I'll need to upgrade is the graphics card in a year or 2.

... despite our repeated attempts to murder it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
... despite our repeated attempts to murder it.

Damn, I was going to say that. =P

I wouldnt say its dead but it has certainly lost interest there are millions of people who play WOW but to keep your computer updated its expensive and i prefer console gaming