By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Would you buy a more expensive PS4 with BC and a Cell CPU?

Would you buy such a PS4 Cell model?

yes, i would switch from ... 118 27.19%

yes, i would choose this one now 68 15.67%

no, i would choose the normal PS4 209 48.16%

no, i dont like the PS4 at all currently 39 8.99%

Total:434
Mr Puggsly said:

Sounds like bad optimization.

I played Battlefield 4 on PS3, it was pretty impressive. But PS3 can't handle Last Guardian? I dunno...

The trailer footage of Last Guardian looked like a polished PS3 game. PS360 are more capable machines then they are given credit for.

I'll admit that the footage was from years ago when they were still learning about the Cell processor but the fact that Sony had to move it to the PS4 indicates that the PS3 just wasn't exactly capable enough ... 

Even after all these years of developing on the PS3, it's probable that the engineers at Sony has determined that they still couldn't get a playable framerate ...

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Sounds like bad optimization.

I played Battlefield 4 on PS3, it was pretty impressive. But PS3 can't handle Last Guardian? I dunno...

The trailer footage of Last Guardian looked like a polished PS3 game. PS360 are more capable machines then they are given credit for.

I'll admit that the footage was from years ago when they were still learning about the Cell processor but the fact that Sony had to move it to the PS4 indicates that the PS3 just wasn't exactly capable enough ... 

Even after all these years of developing on the PS3, it's probable that the engineers at Sony has determined that they still couldn't get a playable framerate ...

C'mon, don't be so naive. The 2015 footage doesn't look much different than the 2009/10 footage. This was a game designed for PS3. This is the same machine that does open world games with tons of stuff going on like GTAV. You're telling me Last Guardian is too demanding for the specs? I don't buy it.

Look, I'm fine with Last Guardian moving to next gen because we're going to get a more polished visuals than PS3 could deliver. But I roll my eyes when developers say a game like this was only possible on more powerful hardware, its bullshit.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

No.

Mr Puggsly said:

C'mon, don't be so naive. The 2015 footage doesn't look much different than the 2009/10 footage. This was a game designed for PS3. This is the same machine that does open world games with tons of stuff going on like GTAV. You're telling me Last Guardian is too demanding for the specs? I don't buy it.

Look, I'm fine with Last Guardian moving to next gen because we're going to get a more polished visuals than PS3 could deliver. But I roll my eyes when developers say a game like this was only possible on more powerful hardware, its bullshit.

@Bold You'd be surprised about how much goes into the technical side of game development ...

Textures and vertex shading aren't everything. The foliage technology that goes into The Last Guardian is comparable to that of Crysis 3 on PC and the fur/feather simulation is akin to that of Nvidia Hairworks! Sure enough the game doesn't feature any fancy physically based shading but I'd bet my wallet that this game is going to run at 30FPS! 

If the game were truly designed for the PS3 then it should have no problems hitting 60FPS on the PS4 if that were truly the case ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Mr Puggsly said:

@Bold You'd be surprised about how much goes into the technical side of game development ...

Textures and vertex shading aren't everything. The foliage technology that goes into The Last Guardian is comparable to that of Crysis 3 on PC and the fur/feather simulation is akin to that of Nvidia Hairworks! Sure enough the game doesn't feature any fancy physically based shading but I'd bet my wallet that this game is going to run at 30FPS! 

If the game were truly designed for the PS3 then it should have no problems hitting 60FPS on the PS4 if that were truly the case ... 

The visual fidelity couldn't be achieved on PS3. But that's the case with all cross gen games.

Moving Last Guardian to PS4 allowed them to add more visual polish, end of story. Crysis 3 on PC is a much better looking game, but the PS3 version is still the same game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

The visual fidelity couldn't be achieved on PS3. But that's the case with all cross gen games.

Moving Last Guardian to PS4 allowed them to add more visual polish, end of story. Crysis 3 on PC is a much better looking game, but the PS3 version is still the same game.

I'm not worried so much about visual fidelity as I am worried about getting their original vision to run on the PS3 ... 

Moving to the PS4 certainly did allow them to add more visual polish but even with that accounted, do you really believe that the engineers at Sony would've got this game up and running on the PS3 in realtime performance despite the fact that they informed Yoshida otherwise ? 

Crysis 3 is indeed the game with prettier pixels and it's still the same game on the PS3 but you cannot draw an approximate comparison between the two games since they both likely faced very different limitations ... 

I'd do it for the cell CPU alone. I never wanted BC during the PS3 era & that isn't changing today.

That would cost way too much.

Mr Puggsly said:
Intrinsic said:

The last time "millions" of people used BC on a previous PlayStation console was with the PS2. Sales of the PS3 soared when they axed BC to make it cheaper. 

BC never has been and will never be the deciding factor for why anyone buys a new console. And it's nowhere near as important as some might like to think. 

Don't take my word for it though. Let's see how much BC improves the sales of he xb1. 

Uh... safe bet millions of people played PS1 and/or PS2 games on PS3 thanks to the PSN store offering so many. Sony has even given them "free" to PS+ members.

BC has absolutely been a deciding factory when buying a console. You must know your statment was ignorant. The only debate is how much impact it has.

I'm not saying X1 is going to get a massive sales boost thanks to BC. I'm simply saying millions of people will use it. Especially if developers keep giving 360 games with new X1 games.

Hence, you only feel BC matters if it sells a ton of hardware. I'm simply saying BC is a great feature to have and millions will take advantage of it on X1.

Ignorant? That's taking it a tad too far now isn't it?

Anyways, because millions use something doesn't mean its a deciding factor with regard to their purchase decisions. That's what I am saying and I still stand by it. 

I strongly strongly doubt that the reason anyone purchases a next gen console is primarily or even substantially due to it's ability to play last gen games. 

They really should prioritize PS2 emulation

PS3 is recent, and also available on psnow (which means available on PS3, PS4, Vita, PSTV/TVs/other devices)
PS1 games run on PS1, all PS3s, and (select psn store titles) on Vita
That leaves PS2 games running on nothing other than PS2 and the first PS3s (many of which already died, including the one I had). I know there's a few ps2 classics on PSN that run on any PS3 but it's an even smaller number than PS1 titles (at least in EU). It's also a lot less demanding, the PS4 is capable of it, and probably with some improvements (resolution/framerate).