Microsoft's buying another company...

Guess they really do have... 19 30.16%

GOOD JOB MICROSOFT, KEEP ... 10 15.87%

Think its good for its ga... 12 19.05%

Dumb ass fools buy anythi... 22 34.92%

Total:63
fatslob-:O said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Probably not. Intel's constant delays means AMD will be on the same process node next year. If their budget was bigger, they might bit at Intel's heels in 3 to 4 years, IF Zen is a competative microarchitecture that is.

I know Intel are having issues with their new process nodes but I still expect them to be ahead in this area until EUV comes around ... 

That and Intel's IPC gains per new microarchitecture have been dissapointing the last few years.

Around the Network

Yeah it's a bit of a difficult thing this one, mainly because Intel and AMD both use each others IP for X86 chips and they have set agreements in place already to determine what they can and can't do with those products, if a new company comes in, buys either, the agreements become null and void, at least as far as I understand it.
Obviously a new agreement can be made in the run up to the sale and if the sale goes through new contracts would have to be put in place to deal with those issues.

The issues become if Microsoft don't like the existing agreements, new ones, same if Intel doesn't like them, there could be a long drawn out back and forth to get this sorted between both companies.

Intel and Nvidia may also feel like they'll get shafted because of Microsoft's weight in the OS or Office Software market, though both Intel and Nvidia do hold bigger market share in hardware compared to AMD, they could put their attention more behind open source technologies and reduce Microsoft's market share that way.

Seems very complicated, IMO it would be much simpler if a company like Samsung bought out AMD, because there aren't the conflicts of interest withing the OS market, issues of IP usage agreements would still have to be resolved though.

WolfpackN64 said:

That and Intel's IPC gains per new microarchitecture have been dissapointing the last few years.

I agree that Intel's IPC gains have been pretty lame ever since Haswell but this is not the place to discuss that topic so let's just leave it to another thread ... 

It's a good thing I prefer Intel and NVIDIA, because this would stop me from buying any AMD products. I have an extreme dislike towards Microsoft.

This a megaton or a ton?

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
It's a good thing I prefer Intel and NVIDIA, because this would stop me from buying any AMD products. I have an extreme dislike towards Microsoft.

Why do you hate Microsoft so much?

Anyone would care to describe the possible outcomes if this is true ?

zumnupy10 said:

Nvidia would get shafted ...

Sony could have to look for a new chip designer and so would Nintendo ... 

AMD might finally get competitive on the CPU front ...

PC gamers might be forced to buy AMD GPUs in the future to play their games ... 

Countless of other things and etc ...

Ruler said:
fatslob-:O said:

Nvidia ? Sure I guess ...

Intel on the other hand ? Nope, since they are not much dependent on GPU acceleration plus Microsoft would probably actively seek to cross license some x86 patents with Intel so they don't fall behind in CPU tech while allowing Intel IGPs to keep working ... 

Actually they wouldnt be allowed to make x86 cpus anymore

You don't think AMD will be allowed to continue to make chips using the current "x86" ISA as implemented by current Intel CPUs, also known as AMD64?

zumnupy10 said:

The main issue is that AMD and Intel both have various different intellectual properties for X86 technology that the other makes use of, they have agreements in place that basically makes using those patents in real products pretty straightforward and rules are spelled out for both, if a new parent company comes along and buys either Intel or AMD then those agreements become null and void.

This is the core issue.

Obviously if Microsoft did buy AMD then they're going to provide the best support for their OS and API on AMD's platform, which is a conflict of interest as far as Intel and NVidia would be concerned.

TBH though competition within capitalism would likely keep any monopolies in check, because Nvidia and Intel could chose to further support open source options like Steam OS, Vulkan and linux products, completely ignoring Windows, which would mean that Microsoft would have to be just as warm in dealing with those companies as they would with AMD.

From AMD's POV they would probably gain access to much better financial support for R&D and that could potentially make them more competitive with Intel and NVidia in the future.

As far as Sony and the PS4 tech business goes I very much doubt Microsoft would want to effect the relationship between Sony and AMD, because as it stands Sony are the console market leader and MS would basically get a guarenteed income from the further 100 million+ SOCs Sony will have to pay to license from AMD.

Plus Sony could buy a tonne more chipsets in the mobile sector from AMD, so that's all good business as far as Microsoft would be concerned.

In short console stuff would stay the same, PC market would probably have a bit of a shake up if the deal goes through, this deal would probably take qute a while to go through or take any kind of proper effect because new license agreements would have to be hammered out between Intel and Microsoft over the cross license X86 business.

Interesting stuff IMO.