By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony Won Call of Duty DLC Exclusivity Away From Microsoft

super6646 said:

Pretty much this. Its dumb to have your biggest shooter (exclusive) compete with something else. That's probably why Microsoft ditched the 3rd party stratagy this year, and focused on 1st parties (and I think its a better idea).

It's not like they can just get the deal next year. The cod deal was a pretty big thing for Microsoft. Gonna be even worse when the 1st party output slows down which it could do.

Around the Network
NobleTeam360 said:
Here's a thought, now bear with me. What if, and this might be a big IF for some people, what if MS simply didn't renew the deal with Activision? :-O is this even possible?

You really think they just "didn't renew". Exclusive marketing rights to one of the biggest gaming franchises right now (declining in quality or not) that sells best in the one market the XBOne actually has a chance in competing in, and they just "didn't renew" the contract?

Sony $$ + marketshare clearly took the ball out of MSs court, here. Not just MS didn't care anymore. As much as they're pushing free games in bundles, repeated price cuts, high value trade in deals, etc to get XBOnes off shelves, I doubt they would just let this one go. They wouldn't voluntarily let anything go that would help the XBOne right now.  

Kelzus said:
Sharpryno said:

Too bad CoD eSports will still be done on Xbox. As the controller is far superior.  But its great for Sony.  They gave up on 2015 for the most part other than 3rd party deals which will be fine. 

Yeah....no.

lol please, build quality, battery life, ergonomic. 

Sales is why they obtained CoD. It's a huge series and they want to be the forerunners for said machine. It really doesn't have anything else to do with it. If Microsoft still had the lead then they would have CoD.

EDIT: Not sure why I wrote Destiny. Haha.

Darwinianevolution said:
How did Sony won Call of Duty DLC Exclusivity away from Microsoft? Selling a lot more consoles to the audience CoD usually catters to, that's how.

It's about money not which one sold more console and I'm sure cod will still sell more in USA no matter what 

Around the Network
super6646 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Here's a thought, now bear with me. What if, and this might be a big IF for some people, what if MS simply didn't renew the deal with Activision? :-O is this even possible?

Pretty much this. Its dumb to have your biggest shooter (exclusive) compete with something else. That's probably why Microsoft ditched the 3rd party stratagy this year, and focused on 1st parties (and I think its a better idea).

But....MW2 vs ODST, Black Ops vs Halo Reach, Black Ops II vs Halo 4, Advanced Warfare vs MCC.

Didn't seem to be a problem in the past.

Sharpryno said:
Kelzus said:

Yeah....no.

The only thing that is better is buildy quality and battery life. Ergonomics are better on the DS4 and the triggers and bumpers are complete shit on the XB1 controller.

Wagram said:
Sales is why they obtained destiny. It's a huge series and they want to be the forerunners for said machine. It really doesn't have anything else to do with it. If Microsoft still had the lead then they would have CoD.

I highly doubt sales is why they got Destiny. That was revealed at the PS4 reveal (February 2013), with Sony announcing the exclusive deal, right? Well....the PS4 and XBOne kinda hadn't released at that time =/

Kelzus said:
Sharpryno said:

The only thing that is better is buildy quality and battery life. Ergonomics are better on the DS4 and the triggers and bumpers are complete shit on the XB1 controller.

R u kidding me Xbox one controller is so much better than DS4 

Hardcore_gamer said:
Darwinianevolution said:
How did Sony won Call of Duty DLC Exclusivity away from Microsoft? Selling a lot more consoles to the audience CoD usually catters to, that's how.

It's about money not which one sold more console and I'm sure cod will still sell more in USA no matter what 

The last CoD titles sold better on PS4 than on the XBone. Even if the XBone audience likes shooters more, the sheer difference in hardware numbers made the difference. And better sales equal  more money.

PS4

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014 Shooter Activision 2.43 2.68 0.12 1.29 6.52
Call of Duty: Ghosts 2013 Shooter Activision 1.54 1.19 0.05 0.27 3.04

XBone

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2014 Shooter Activision 2.87 1.29 0.01 0.23 4.40
Call of Duty: Ghosts 2013 Shooter Activision 1.66 0.58 0.00 0.16 2.40

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.