By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - XBLA "full of crap" says Wii Software dev

Wii Software (aka WiiWare) developers have revealed Nintendo's "secret war" with Xbox Live Arcade, in a series of chats with game dev website Develop.

The developers, who are conveniently speaking under conditions of anonymity, have revealed Nintendo's plans to capitalise on developer's frustrations with Xbox Live Arcade, which recently had its developer royalties slashed in half.

According to Develop, Nintendo has been pitching to studios what it says is a "more flexible" game download service. Allegedly, it's also been plugging the fact that unlike XBLA, Wii Software won't be clogged with retro releases - something goat man Jeff Minter famously threw a wobbly over.

"Nintendo has made it very clear to us that we'll not only be making a better royalty rate from WiiWare games, but we'll also have a better chance of selling games - the service won't be clogged up with the retro titles that have blighted the chances of many independent studios on Xbox Live Arcade," said one studio boss, who didn't want to be named.

Another Wii Software developer added: "Frankly, we're not looking at making games for Xbox Live Arcade because the service is full of shit," pointing at its abundance of retro titles. Big words for an anonymous man.

Wii Software is set to launch in Japan at the end of the month with launch games including Pokémon Ranch, Dr. Mario and Star Soldier R. Yep, no retro remakes there at all.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

When he called it full of shit, he must have confused it with 80% of wii games. Someone should explain this guy the difference between Wii shovelware and xbox live...

I'm looking forward to WiiWare. These are big words and as there anonymous should be taken lightly. If it is a secret war ms will probably win it simply because they have no storage problems, at least not to the extent of Wii. I pray everyday for a Wii HDD.

Are the retro games really that big of a problem?

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

Then I'd have to say thier real competitors are over at PSN, not XBLA. Sony has been the company championing independent and small games on the PSN without the restrictions of XBLA. There's no doubt that there's a sea of crap that the good titles can get lost in on XBLA though. For every Alien Hominid or Rez HD there's a sea of crappy 80's arcade games.

Of course, do any of those statements jive with the exitence of Nintendo's Virtual Console? The VC is nothing but retro and it does huge numbers. WiiWare's actual competition is on its' own platform in the form of the VC, in my mind.

Around the Network
kenzomatic said:

Another Wii Software developer added: "Frankly, we're not looking at making games for Xbox Live Arcade because the service is full of shit," pointing at its abundance of retro titles. Big words for an anonymous man.

Sorry mr. Wii Software developer, but if your game sucks so bad that it can't compete with the likes of TMNT or Ninja Gaiden, please keep your shitty software off Xbox Live.

@disolitude

you are oh so clever aren't you...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Retro Games? I thought that was the big idea of the Wii Downloadable games, to get old NES Supernes games etc. Also it is pretty accepted that games are producing profits on xboxlive.

As to the service being "xbox arcade being full of shit" I would seriously laugh in that guys face. Wii's retail games are more full of shit than xbox arcades.

You made it very unclear that this is NOT someone from Nintendo speaking, but a 3rd party developer.

I must say that there are some very interesting WiiWare titles coming.

Eternity's Child probably the best (and this one has been moved from XBLA to WiiWare, due to Microsofts inflexibility according to the creator of the game).

LostWinds, World of Goo and FF: My life as a king look very promissing.

ok...So you are telling me the following games are crap...

Streets of rage 2
sonic
sonic2
Undertow
Castlevania
Omega 5
Assault Heroes
Street fighter 2
UMK3
Fatal Fury Special
N+
Rez HD
Contra
Puzzle fghter HD
TMNT the arcade game

These games come to mind as i'm sitting at work...im sure there are twice as many great games.

The most important thing is that they all have online play. Something none of the Wii downloads have.