By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Concept: How the Wii U Gamepad should had looked

Do you like the Concept?

Yes, the gamepad should look like this 29 21.64%

no, the gamepad is perfect 57 42.54%

no, they should use a com... 48 35.82%

Total:134

How the WiiU gamepad should have looked.

Then people who already had a new3ds would have been able to buy a cheaper console-only wiiu, and people who didnt, would be able to get a home console AND handheld in one purchase, they could then have made it so 3DS could be played on TV, or WiiU on 3DS with the ability to do off-screen play and show the main screen at the top and the normal "off screen" window left interactable at the bottom.

Then they could have done cross-buy so people could buy a wiiu game and get the 3ds version as a digital download / have the 3ds install data on disk so no download was needed beyond authentication, and allowed cross-platform progression and save data.

Would have been MILES better.

I am a genius when i'm drunk, huzzah

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:

How the WiiU gamepad should have looked.

Then people who already had a new3ds would have been able to buy a cheaper console-only wiiu, and people who didnt, would be able to get a home console AND handheld in one purchase, they could then have made it so 3DS could be played on TV, or WiiU on 3DS with the ability to do off-screen play and show the main screen at the top and the normal "off screen" window left interactable at the bottom.

Then they could have done cross-buy so people could buy a wiiu game and get the 3ds version as a digital download / have the 3ds install data on disk so no download was needed beyond authentication, and allowed cross-platform progression and save data.

Would have been MILES better.

I am a genius when i'm drunk, huzzah

sounds a little bit confusing and expensive

I don't like it. Looks uncomfortable to hold and use.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

oniyide said:

sounds a little bit confusing and expensive

you should have told nintendo that when they were planning the wiiu.

ErikaEinhardt said:

I know we are talking Wii U but these look much better, no offense.

And yes I agree, the Gamepad is too much and a more standard controller with screen (or a Vita/DS4 combo) would have been much better.

Wow that bottom controller is beautiful. The top one is way too wide and just looks bad. But the Sony one 😍

Ltd predictions by the time 9th Gen comes out

Ps4:110million

Xbox one :75 million( was 65) 

Wii u: 20 milliion

Around the Network
ErikaEinhardt said:
baloofarsan said:
I am constantly amazed that I can hold the gamepad for very long times with only one finger (long finger + the palm). I like surfing with it and I never drop it even If I fall into a slumber.
Maybe the screen is to big but is sufficient for browsing and off-TV.
I like very much that the size of the gamepad lets me rest my elbows on the couch. Normal controllers forces the hands together and forces the elbows and arms to uncomfortable positions (I am a big guy).

I know what you mean, its the main reason I want this controller... er controllers??

I like these kind of designs.. After using the wii remote and nunchuck i was hoping for it to become more common.

JNK said:
thatguymarco said:

Because it does nothing but damage the integrity of the console with gamers, sometimes damaging the quality of games by questionable design choices made because of it, and increasing the price of the thing by a significant amount making it less accessible, even for fans. Regarding Ninty's reputation, as if it wasn't already bad enough that the Wii made Nintendo the laughing stock of the industry, the Wii U served as confirmation for people that never took the Wii as a real console that Nintendo in their mind sucked, limiting Nintendo's market by a lot, and making their things a lot harder to market in the long run.

Imagine a Wii U with a normal controller, selling for 250 on day of release, with appealing games that didn't rely on gimmicks and made with Ninty fans of mind, sounds good right? I can say with no hasitation that the Wii U could've sold 15 M by now if that was the case, but Nintendo sucks at making logical decisions and unfortenely it wasn't.

I have imaged a wii u with a normal controller - i got a Playstation 3 and xbox 360 that could play nintendo games. If its that what you want, it would even be better if they go third party and stop making own consoles at all.

The wii u (or wii) at least are individual and special. Even the ps3 was special (got a blueray player which was a big thing in that time). But the new ps and xbox are just middle class gaming pc with expensive games(60-70$) and online fees. They even need game installations and get day one patches.
I like nintendos consoles most scince the always try new things. Otherwhise i would just get a pc.

I think that Nintendo's games are different and special enough, it's by far the only thing Nintendo has always been good at. Why not use all the thought and creativity they use in trying to be the hipsters of gaming machinery and apply that to their games? Hell, even Sony has been inovating more than Nintendo lately, they'll be the first to make VR a normality, or at least TRY to do it, the Gamepad it's just a stupid expensive tablet, a failure as a second screen that you can transitionn your view from smoothly, and an HORRIBLE form of capitalizing on mobile gamings' popularity with casuals.

I'm now filled with determination.

I definitely wouldn't want that concept, but something between the game pad we got and that PS4 concept controller would have been awesome (and maybe cheaper).

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Tachikoma said:

you should have told nintendo that when they were planning the wiiu.

that there's a second screen just confuses the shit out of people. aesthetics could have helped (giant and clunky), but when you see the commercials and everyone looking up and down at the gamepad, it just makes me anxious.