By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Nintendo could make up for the lack of 3rd parties, would people become interested on their consoles again?

If Nintendo could make up for the lack of 3rd parties, would people become interested on their consoles again?

Yes, Nintendo has the res... 17 32.69%

No, people's interests a... 27 51.92%

A Nintendo VS DIsney figh... 8 15.38%

Total:52

Probably.. but 3rd Parties would gain more interest

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Nuvendil said:
Just going to say that you are talking about spending a ton - and I mean a TON - of money, I'm all for Nintendo expanding their operations and buying franchises and so on, but to suggest they output through their own studios and exclusivity deals the equivalent of multiple major 3rd parties? And market all that? Your talking about spending hundreds of millions of dollars. Billions potentially, even with Nintendo's high efficiency. I do think they should up their game on exclusives even more next gen in variety, timing, and marketing. But matching all the major 3rd parties? That's so much work it's mind boggling to contemplate.

I'm not really suggesting Nintendo should spend as much money as other AAA titles. One of Nintendo's advantages over the competition is that their games cost much less than most of AAA multiplas and exclusives. However, even if Nintendo doesn't spend as much as the rest doesn't mean they shouldn't touch genres dominated by AAA games. I'm sure Splatoon costed less than the lates CoD, but the possitive effect on the WiiU is still noticeable. Nintendo needs more games like it. And also, they don't need to carry more than one risky project at a time. If Nintendo tried to make three new IPs and market all of them at the same time it would hurt the sales of all of them. But one at a time wouldn't hurt. Maybe a new IP or a risky collaboration per year could fill a lot of holes on Nintendo's library.

And, yes. Nintendo should improve its output. Making a Fusion system would be a step in the right direction, but havin a couple more studios wouldn't hurt them.

It's not that each game costs as much as it's 3rd party competitor.  The problem is that they would be doing the work of multiple companies.  Activision spends a fortune on a handful of franchises.  Nintendo would spend considerably less per game but would spend just as much due to the number of games they would need to produce.  I mean, to really keep up we're talking more than a dozen retail exclussives of note per year, imo.  That's bonkers. 

Nuvendil said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Nuvendil said:
Just going to say that you are talking about spending a ton - and I mean a TON - of money, I'm all for Nintendo expanding their operations and buying franchises and so on, but to suggest they output through their own studios and exclusivity deals the equivalent of multiple major 3rd parties? And market all that? Your talking about spending hundreds of millions of dollars. Billions potentially, even with Nintendo's high efficiency. I do think they should up their game on exclusives even more next gen in variety, timing, and marketing. But matching all the major 3rd parties? That's so much work it's mind boggling to contemplate.

I'm not really suggesting Nintendo should spend as much money as other AAA titles. One of Nintendo's advantages over the competition is that their games cost much less than most of AAA multiplas and exclusives. However, even if Nintendo doesn't spend as much as the rest doesn't mean they shouldn't touch genres dominated by AAA games. I'm sure Splatoon costed less than the lates CoD, but the possitive effect on the WiiU is still noticeable. Nintendo needs more games like it. And also, they don't need to carry more than one risky project at a time. If Nintendo tried to make three new IPs and market all of them at the same time it would hurt the sales of all of them. But one at a time wouldn't hurt. Maybe a new IP or a risky collaboration per year could fill a lot of holes on Nintendo's library.

And, yes. Nintendo should improve its output. Making a Fusion system would be a step in the right direction, but havin a couple more studios wouldn't hurt them.

It's not that each game costs as much as it's 3rd party competitor.  The problem is that they would be doing the work of multiple companies.  Activision spends a fortune on a handful of franchises.  Nintendo would spend considerably less per game but would spend just as much due to the number of games they would need to produce.  I mean, to really keep up we're talking more than a dozen retail exclussives of note per year, imo.  That's bonkers. 

If we combine the 1sp party games that Nintendo usually does for both of their devices, both 3DS and WiiU, it's usually a pretty high number. If they concentrate their effords into only one OS that's easy to program for, they could do it. Not every title would be a big release, sure, but the smaller games could be priced as such (just like Splatoon was priced around 40€ in Europe).

And keep in mind that Nintendo HAS to get more studios, even if it's just for the mobile titles. They won't allow slowing their console output down because of their mobile venture.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

To achieve what you're suggesting Nintendo would need about 45 studios/teams working at all times to ensure at least one big game a month, with a dev cicle of 2-3 years per game and a couple of studios to develop mobile games and a couple to help with third party ports and third party licensing of their IPs. Add to that whatever games they might do exclusively for their console/handheld counterparts of the fusion (because if the system is sold in diffrent SKUs, they will want some exclusives for each system to encourage buyers to double dip.)
I'm not sure, but wouldn't that effectively make them one of the biggest publishers in the market?

It would make their system a very viable purchase and put them out of direct competition with sony and micro. It might also dig them further into their corner, though. :/

A Nintendo only console (basically) on top of being expensive would be a instant bomba.

To be honest I don't think NX is going to work any miracles. If unified it'll probably sell a decent 60-65 million or so, the vast majority of those being the handheld variant. It'll make Nintendo a decent profit, but they're not going to be a big time player in the home console world. Not unless Sony makes the PS5 $700 or something, which I doubt.

Around the Network

3rd party collaboration, bring back those Chrono Trigger RPG. remake or sequel in HD.

Square Enix for big AAA RPGs. have Final Fantasy Nintendo version its been a while.
Capcom - Resident Evil franchise...
Konami - PES version for Nintendo.

Nintendo still needs 3rd party and what they need. rather than Nintendo trying to do everything, it won't work.

I think people should just kinda accept Nintendo is doing their own thing. They're not going to compete with Sony/MS, and unless Sony does something monumentally stupid like making a $700 PS5 and Nintendo simultaneously has a controller miracle, they're not leading in the console market again. And even with everything possible going right for the Wii and everything going wrong for the PS3 early on, the PS3 has almost caught up to the Wii. 

Their best bet is they can keep enough kids off tablets/smartphones to hold a decent sway in the portable market and turn a profit there.