By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Nintendo started talking with third-parties about NX at E3, positive reception; NX more than a year away

Nintendo is the lesser problem, their fans are the main one.

They will not buy 3rd party games no matter what. I don't overly understand why maybe old dudes stuck in nostalgia.

Around the Network
DélioPT said:
Who knows, maybe this this time things will be different.
I doubt Nintendo won't come out swinging - they can't afford to have another Wii U on their hands.

Btw, according to John Harker at neogaf.com, there were talks prior to E3.

Do you have a link for this? I would really like to read it :)

I'll take this and also a grain of salt

AlfredoTurkey said:
Soundwave said:

Do we really need 3 hardware manufacturers doing the exact same thing more or less? 

But if Nintendo did what you said and paired their IP with the same third party support/hardware/online structure as the other two, they wouldn't BE the same thing. Nintendo would really be unstoppable imo. I mean, Mario AND games like Halo? A system that every single demograph would want to own? Think about it... that doesn't exist. It's either own a Nintendo system for the family, a PS4 or Xbone for the teenagers and dads, or own both. There isn't a system that caters to every single demograph. If Nintendo could do it, they would have the entire market cornered.

Nintendo need luck to convince most of the players that their next nintendo console is the best place to play every games.  It's not about having it and that's it.  Xbox has every third party games and still lack behind.   Once you are associated to a console to play your favorite franchise, it's very hard to make them change.  MS has managed to steal some from Sony but at what cost? spending a lot of money something that I doubt nintendo are willing to do.

GTstation said:

They will not buy 3rd party games no matter what. I don't overly understand why maybe old dudes stuck in nostalgia.

Because the old dudes have mortgage, kids and a real life.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

That's a long reply, but I'll just say this ... I really don't think there is much an apetite within Nintendo to compete directly against Sony/MS. I just don't think they give a fuck to be blunt about it. I think they have internally accepted that Sony and Microsoft are what they are (which is basically the standard console providers) and their role in the industry of today is to be the one that's different. 

I know there is a porition of the Nintendo fanbase that wants to see Nintendo wage all out war head to head with Sony and MS, going tit for tat for third party exclusives, marketing campaigns, first party Hollywood style exclusives, etc. etc. etc.

But I don't think Nintendo themselves is nearly as enthusiastic about that concept as some of their fans are. And maybe they are right, yes from a Nintendo POV it does suck that Sony/MS have basically claimed the core gamer market, but I think a head to head war at this point, where both Sony/MS are so entrenched now, would simply be foolish. 

No one is going to give a crap about a Nintendo console that's only slightly better than the PS4 three years late. They would need a system at bare minimum 3 TFLOPS in horsepower to even really be noticably better on screen, more realistically probably 4 TFLOPS with 16-24GB of RAM. 

The hardware cost for such a system, nevermind the development cost of software simply is well beyond Nintendo's comfort range. I just don't see a path to victory in either of those scenarios. Nintendo will go the low-cost/unified library + gimmick route again. They're basically said so by their own comments. 

I think there absolutely is an apitite to compete. The way the Wii U was marketed at launch is proof of that. The disappointment that the Wii U turned out to be a, self admited, second console is proof of that. The types of games the Wii U is still getting is proof of that. Nintendo's market just naturally crosses paths with the market of the PS4 and XBO. It's obviously not about "winning" for them, but to say that Nintendo isn't interested in gaining that demographic is absurd.

Again, Nintendo are clearly interested in gaining that hardcore demographic, they've just done a terrible job of doing it. And of course people will care about a PS4-level Nintendo console if it launched next year. Why couldn't they? Because the dawn of the 9th generation is looming above us? Because that next massive leap in hardware is just over the horizon? The next generation of hardware will be like 6 years off by that point. No one's going to look at the NX as an underpowered system when there won't be consoles to severely outspec it for at least half a decade. The NX will be late to the party, but definitely not too late.

They've never said anything to lead me to believe the NX will be a low-cost machine with another new controller gimmick. That would be foolish.

PigPen said:
GTstation said:

Because the old dudes have mortgage, kids and a real life.

So do PS X PC dudes.  

NintendoPie said:
The third-parties also "loved" the Wii U at first too. Nintendo talked all about their "unprecedented" third-party collaborations and even invited them on stage to talk all about their ports.

Don't get too happy.

Technically they didn't lie; their 'partnership' is truly unprecedented.

Isn't this the kind of thing that Slightly Mad Studios was hoping for? If so, hopefully we can get project cars 2 as an NX launch title.

VGPolyglot said:
I really hope that the next Xbox won't have that name!

Don't worry, it won't...

It'll be called the Xbox Three Sixty.

Anyway, assuming this is true (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), we can be confident that NX won't be arriving any time before 2017. But then, anybody who understood logic knew that to be the case anyway - Nintendo weren't going to only barely start talking about the system 6 months before launch (E3 2016), and they weren't going to release their next system within 3 years of the competition releasing their previous ones - there's a reason why the three hardware companies maintain an almost-simultaneous (within a year or so) generation change schedule, both for consoles and handhelds. Sega demonstrated why it's a bad idea to break the schedule and try to rush a new product to market too early.

At earliest, NX was going to release in 2017. This is one year before the likely release date of the next Xbox (and as such, also the likely release date of the PS5). And it's possible that they'll hold off on their next home console until 2018 (if NX is a handheld or a "third pillar", or if it's referring to both handheld and console as distinct but interconnected systems... or even if the home console is NX) - they can certainly ride the Wii U out for that long and spend the extra time working on more launch titles, and getting third party support up at launch.

One other thing that isn't made clear is whether they started talking with them in the sense of "here's what we're doing, you need to start thinking of what you're going to put on it", or in the sense of "we're working on NX, but it's not finalised yet; here's our ideas, what do you think could be improved to ensure your support". If it's the former, and Nintendo is continuing with the "we'll do our own thing, and worry about the third parties later", it could be problematic, and we'll see NX in 2017 with nowhere near enough third party support. If it's the latter, and Nintendo is working hard to get the third parties, it'll probably come in 2018 with a huge lineup.