By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reality check: The NX MUST be successful.

Conina said:
zorg1000 said:
How much does it need to sell and how much profit does it need to make in order to be considered successful?

Well, if it replaces the 3DS and the Wii U it should sell at least more than 3DS + WiiU hardware combined to be considered successful (60 million for now, but until NX launches that number will grow).

70 million devices (handhelds and home consoles combined) lifetime sales would be the absolute minimum to stop the downward spiral, more than 100 million devices could be considered successful (DS + Wii combined were 250 million devices, but that will never happen again).

Software sales also shouldn't be lower than 3DS + WiiU software combined.

I don't think we can solely look at units sold, if they sell a ton but don't make money than that's worse than selling a smaller number but making profit. Nintendo had a few years of taking losses this generation but we also have to consider that 3DS was sold at a loss for a year following its big price cut in Summer 2011 and Wii U was sold at a loss from launch in holiday 2012 until pretty recently. It's possible that Wii U+3DS level sales can be profitable if they plan better by not selling hardware at a loss.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I love Nintendo, but if it's another Wii like console, I will not buy it. I very much disliked the Wii. If they go the casual route again just to get the sales, I am not on board.

I completely agree. If it's not a pretty good success, we're not getting another dedicated Nintendo console that's not a handheld. Whether that means going third party or shifting focus to something else entirely is yet to be seen.

Here's the reality, Nintendo are not very good at making home consoles for a wide audience. They focus most of their attention on Japan, make crappy hardware designs and love gimmicks. They do not take notice of the West, hence no third party, their heads are always up their arses.

I doubtit will fail tough. If its a fusion thing then the install base should be at leas 60 million

Around the Network
Burek said:
Of course it hqs to succeed, but I think it will fail, and as you say, will mark Nintendo's exit from the console scene.
But I don't think that would be bad for gaming in general. It would be bad for a small minority of gamers, and the past years have shown that they are not that important for the gaming world. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sony and Microsoft are all doing very well without those gamers, and would continue doing well.
If Nintendo were to go under tomorrow, most people wouldn't even notice or care.

People would notice because nintendo wouldnt have a reason making that much software anymore. Just look at sega and their IPs.

NX is already on the way to flop in my opinion, because Nintendo makes lately again to many stupid desicions. I'm a big Nintendo fan but i've lose my trust in them. If they could'nt use the full WiiU potential and market it properly, they can't make it on NX too. Look at this E3: Where is Devils Third? What are this guys thinking? Yoshi release in Oktober in NA? I'm sorry but they dropped the ball hard, since the announcement of this NX project! I'm not gonna buy this thingat this point.

Yep. If the nx fails, it might be the end of nintendo's home console business.

Ruler said:
Burek said:
Of course it hqs to succeed, but I think it will fail, and as you say, will mark Nintendo's exit from the console scene.
But I don't think that would be bad for gaming in general. It would be bad for a small minority of gamers, and the past years have shown that they are not that important for the gaming world. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Sony and Microsoft are all doing very well without those gamers, and would continue doing well.
If Nintendo were to go under tomorrow, most people wouldn't even notice or care.

People would notice because nintendo wouldnt have a reason making that much software anymore. Just look at sega and their IPs.

Some people would notice, but most would not. Do you think that many of 170 million X360/PS3 users ever cared about Sega games. Some did, but most couldn't care less.

Same thing now. Nintendo fans would notice, but most people would not be affected by Nintendo's demise at all, and the industry would barely be affected. 

In a gaming world where one multiplat AAA console game in 18 months outsells the entire WiiU library of 30 months, and by a comfortable margin, it is obvious that Nintendo is just a minor league player in the industry.

Burek said:

I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying that I think it means they will stop making consuls. I think it means he will stop making hardware geared towards anyone like us.  So, for example, a week android based micro console.