By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A way to make third party games sucsessful on wii u?

JRPGfan said:
If nintendo games all ended up reskinned to look cartoonish, wouldnt people get bored of that eventually?
All games looking alike?

yeah but if all ps/xbox game does look realistic wouldnt it be the same?

Isnt that what miyamoto just said some days ago?^^

Around the Network
JNK said:
WolfpackN64 said:

because most gave up before the system even reached the 5 million mark.

come on, Call of duty Ghost 2,4 Mio copies on xbox one which had a smaller installed hardware base then the wii u got in the complete following year  (0,26mio on wii u). You dont sell 90% less copies jsut because of some missing dlcs^^

People knew that Ghosts was gimped on the Wii U...

This won't sell better than a real FIFA:

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Here's 3 simple ways to improve 3rd party support on Nintendo consoles in general...

1:  Develop hardware that is at the very least on par with your competitors from a technical standpoint, and offers similar online / multimedia features.

2:  Work in tandem with 3rd party studios to promote their games with your console as much as your own titles.

3:  Use these high profile 3rd party titles to bring in new gamers who actually buy games not made by Nintendo.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Pavolink said:
JRPGfan said:
If nintendo games all ended up reskinned to look cartoonish, wouldnt people get bored of that eventually?
All games looking alike?

Not only that, third parties won't waste resources for that. If the game ends flopping, users will excuse that the game is not the same as the other versions and they didn't put effort. This is the same cycle like last gen on Wii.

Also that feels like it would undermind the artistic view the developers had to begin with, and probably make porting games to the Wii U even more expensive.

The solution to this mess is in the hands of nintendo and nintendo alone.

They need to make sure their next console is easy to port too.'

WolfpackN64 said:
JNK said:

come on, Call of duty Ghost 2,4 Mio copies on xbox one which had a smaller installed hardware base then the wii u got in the complete following year  (0,26mio on wii u). You dont sell 90% less copies jsut because of some missing dlcs^^

People knew that Ghosts was gimped on the Wii U...

You cant help that, if Nintendo makes a weak console.

Any multi plat game it gets is going to look much worse than on xbox or ps4, simply because of the Wii U hardware.

Around the Network
JNK said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I don't see it happening for two reasons: First, taking the time to completely reskin or change the artstyle of the game would take too much time and resources in the eyes of the publishers, and they could easily just release them on PS4/XBone as special editions. Second, most of western titles have as a selling point how hyperrealistic they look, and people buy them for that. People who try to avoid games that look cartoony will just keep ignoring the system.

WiiU won't make a turnaround, at least not for western developers. If Nintendo made extra effords in Japan (Youkai Watch U, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter U), they could expand their userbase with fans of those kind of games, but there's no hope now for the FIFA-CoD-AC-Battlefield audience to pick up a WiiU. Better luck with that on the NX.

thats pretty much the same that im thinking but in my opinion my idea would be a workaround.

Many western gamers care just about "the most realistic graphics".

But I doubt those people are on the wii u. People on the wii u do like cartoony and "fun" looking games and prefer them. Splatoon sold awesome as an example.

So even if they would release this cell shading graphics on ps/xbox i doubt it would be sucsessful there. But it would be sucsessful on wii u.

Cartoony looking games (like plants vs zombies) did pretty bad on these plattforms (compared to battlefield 4, call of duty etc.)

But Splatoon did very good on wii u compared to call of duty.

That is true, but western developers barely push their cartoon-esque IPs compared to the "hardcore" titles. Activision already has Skylanders on the U, Ubisoft made Rayman Legends for the WiiU. They don't really make that many games that would attract the WiiU audience, or at least, they don't focus on them because their other franchises are so much more profitable elsewhere. EA has a lot of cartoony, family friendly titles, but they are still boycotting the WiiU due to Nintendo not accepting their Origin deal.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

fleischr said:
From a business perspective, there's no financial incentive for 3rd parties to bring major multiplatform games like AC to the WiiU.

If Nintendo were to offer significantly cheaper royalties than PS or Xbox platforms, publishers would re-align their development and marketing platforms to include Nintendo platforms since they know a single unit of Wii U/NX software would be more profitable than if it were sold on PS/Xbox. Convincing the customer base to switch platforms would actually be worth it to the likes of Ubisoft, Activision, and EA because it would actually boost profits.

the financial incentive would be that they reach complete new gamers. Assassins Creed 4 as an example will be mostly played by 14 years and older.

If you make a special cartoony version of the same game which would theoretical played by millions of 8-14 year olds (and older people who just prefer cell shading graphics) and these audience is already on wii u (because of games like mario kart, 3d wörld, nintendoland, windwaker = all cartoony and rated e) that could work

JRPGfan said:
Pavolink said:

Not only that, third parties won't waste resources for that. If the game ends flopping, users will excuse that the game is not the same as the other versions and they didn't put effort. This is the same cycle like last gen on Wii.

Also that feels like it would undermind the artistic view the developers had to begin with, and probably make porting games to the Wii U even more expensive.

The solution to this mess is in the hands of nintendo and nintendo alone.

They need to make sure their next console is easy to port too.

That's another part of the puzzle. The next console needs 2 things: a normal controller and be easy to port. No gimped CPU, no gimped GPU, no small RAM. Doesn't matter if is not as powerful as the competitors, as long as it is easy to port. The less resources the third parties needs, the more posibilities Nintendo have to get third party support.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I guess so, but from a 3rd party dev standpoint, it takes so much more effort to completely change the graphics compared to a graphical downgrade that it's easier to not port it in the first place

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Pavolink said:

This won't sell better than a real FIFA:

ok i totally forgot about this version of fifa on the wii and its a good point that my idea might not be working, i have to admit.

But you should also consider that fifa isnt a rated m game and even the normal fifa can be played by everyone (assassins creed as example is fsk 16 in my country = you need to be 16) and the wiimote controls are very bad for games like fifa.

But i have to admit that this is pretty much my idea.

I also checked sales and did some math:

Fifa 08 sold around 1m copies on wii.

Fifa 08 sold 1,75m copies om ps3

I dont know about the installed hw base of both but ps3 was clearly alot smaller as wii in 2007.

On the other hand, the game call of duty always looked realistic on both consoles.

Call of duty modern warfare (2007) sold 6,5 mio units on ps3 and world at war (2008) sold 2 Mio units on wii [no cod in 2007 for wii].

So the realistic cod sold compared to ps3 sales worse on wii as fifa which featured cartoony looking graphics.

Hope thats understandable^^