By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can anybody beat the NPD non November/December console record of 546k?

I have historical records of NPD going back to Oct 2000 (PS2 launch). I saw some people on another board predicting 360 would sell 1-2 million in the NPD that GTA comes out. Of course I knew that was ludicrous, but it prompted me to take a look, what where the highest non November/December months ever? Forget 2 million, had a console (not handheld!) ever even done 600k in a regular (regular will mean non Nov/Dec from here on) month?

The answer was no. The all time champ in that dept was the PS2 in March 2001, at just 546k. In more recent times, the Xbox 360 got surprisingly close to this number in September 2007 when Halo 3 released, clocking 527k systems sold. The PS2 actually beat 500k many times, I didn't count but I would guess it sold over 500k in easily a half dozen regular months, but never more than 546k. The Wii also pulled off two barely over 500k+ regular months in late 2007.

Anyways, I think the 360 could beat this 546k number in GTA month (April or May?) PROVIDED the recent euro price cut (which would provide a 199/269/369 lineup) finds it's way to our shores prior. Not only that but I think it would also need the rumor of the 60GB hard drive going in the premium to also be true and accomplished by then, and of course good supply etc. At that point a 269 Premium selling with a 60 GB hd, and GTA out, might have a chance I think, but it's still unlikely.

One factor to consider is the five week NPD months. It will be easiest to break this record in a 5 week month. Which are March, June, September in regular months. So this wont help GTA out.

As far as PS3, I see no chance anytime soon, the price is too high, but I suppose MGS4 in June might be the closest near term opportunity.

Wii could probably pull off the record almost any month, but it never has the supply necessary. But considering it had 500k+ regular months in late 07, it seems easily possible that with the right supply it could easily challenge the record in months such as Sep or Oct 08, it will just be a matter of chance.

Around the Network

I think only the wii has a chance

I think we'll see Wii break the record next month, with additional supply of Wiis to support SSBB's launch and a 5 week month. Even if it sells as many units on average as in February it will be close to the record, but combined with SSBB I expect we'll see it being broken by at least 100k and possibly by 200-300k.

Well, as MS have been talking about supply constraints, maybe they're going to stockpile 360s for GTA IV launch?

Just a question, which weeks do NPD count as the month? Because if it ends at 30th, GTA IV only has 2 days in that month. But it starts at 24th (week ENDING 1st?) or something like that, right?

I believe 360 will see 400K +, and maybe 500k +.

Could the Wii have a shot this month? So far it has sold 280K in two weeks. It only needs to do the same for the next two weeks, and one of them should be 200k + due to Brawl launch. I'd say that it has a great change this week.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

@Oyvoyvoyv
Problem with the 360 prediction is that it has competition for GTA4. People have the option of 360 or PS3 and Fred Bloggs out there might not care for added content or such alike so buy whichever, price will help but not enough, in my view.

For Wii, it has no alternate console for Brawl, it could do it.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

If for next month SSBB launch NoA will provide enough stock than Wi has a chance to set a record in March.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Good chance for the Wii in March - but maybe even better chance in April, when Ninty really unlock the floodgates (hardware wise).

I can easily see them selling 150k/week, over 4 weeks in the US --> 600k for 4 week month.

Its traditionally hard, as most of the "huge" titles hit in Nov/Dec - but that trend is changing.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Shams is right, I also think Nintendo will up the Wii hardware shipments drastically after their financial year. They'll probably be little over 24 million (LTD) in their 2007 financial year and will announce to have increased production to at least 2.2 million a month.

I think they'll want to ship 800k regularly to the US. Especially with Mario Kart arriving end April and WiiFit in May, with Brawl and Galaxy still having legs.

On another point, Nintendo should have some massive Europe sales in April, with MarioKartWii and Wii Fit.

Could that beat the highest selling, VGC tracked, month? For Total Other, that is.

The highest I can find for Ps2 is about 475K, for October month 2005. I assume no other has gotten higher, but I'm not sure.

Wii's highest in total other is currently at roughly 320K.

475K isn't impossible, but how much can they send out when MKWii launches in USA and Japan too? I think the Wii has a shot.

As for Japan.

SNES sold 435K in September 1992. And the Ps1 topped that with 534K in July 1997. I don't believe the Ps2 ever topped any of those, so the cap there is at 534K too.

Unless the GB had something, but I won't bother checking that.

What's the highest worldwide week?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

I think it will very likely happen this month (for the Wii of course).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957