By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft responds to NPD report: WTF?

There was a legitimate shortage at some chains in January. The shortage is over, and has been for a while now.

Around the Network

As has been posted many times before, the "supply-constraint" meme is bullshit. You can find a 360 anywhere in the US.  I wonder if they're going to use that excuse next month?

famousringo said:
How to be a Microsoft Spin Doctor:

Step 1 - Pretend that the US market is the only gaming market there is.

Step 2 - Pretend that revenues are more important than profits.

Step 3 - Use figures that include time periods when competitors consoles weren't released, but don't include figures from consoles which were released before the Xbox 360 (such as the PS2).

Step 4 - Hope to God that anybody who reads your press release hasn't learned how to think.

Love this post.

StanGable said:
tombi123 said:
Why do they slag off the competition so much? I don't see Sony doing it as much if ever, and I can't remember Nintendo ever doing it. This is why I hate Microsoft so much. I can't wait until Apple and Google take them down!

Lol you better sit on your ass and wait cuz it is gonna take a long ass time before that happens!

MS is definitely doing great and I specially like how it gets all the Sony fanboys up in arms because we know how much Sony gives 2 craps abou them lol

Least consoles sold worldwide, no market in Japan, all that's making them money is their two years of gathering the hardcore gamers who buy way more games than anyone else. Their console has the infamous RROD which will never be forgotten, it scratches discs, they are paying out of their ass to pay for this.

The only area that MS is doing "great" is selling games, nothing else, the OP proving it because that's the only good news MS could throw out at us, otherwise they retreat to their "Our console is seen everywhere but we're having shortages so people aren't buying the SKU they want".

MS is losing in sales, and soon won't be able to boast "We have the best games", just accept it. 

Username2324 said:
StanGable said:
tombi123 said:
Why do they slag off the competition so much? I don't see Sony doing it as much if ever, and I can't remember Nintendo ever doing it. This is why I hate Microsoft so much. I can't wait until Apple and Google take them down!

Lol you better sit on your ass and wait cuz it is gonna take a long ass time before that happens!

MS is definitely doing great and I specially like how it gets all the Sony fanboys up in arms because we know how much Sony gives 2 craps abou them lol

Least consoles sold worldwide, no market in Japan, all that's making them money is their two years of gathering the hardcore gamers who buy way more games than anyone else. Their console has the infamous RROD which will never be forgotten, it scratches discs, they are paying out of their ass to pay for this.

The only area that MS is doing "great" is selling games, nothing else, the OP proving it because that's the only good news MS could throw out at us, otherwise they retreat to their "Our console is seen everywhere but we're having shortages so people aren't buying the SKU they want".

MS is losing in sales, and soon won't be able to boast "We have the best games", just accept it.

MS does not equal just their gaming division. Plus they have been profitable recently, so you're lying by claiming game sales is the only thing they are good at. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
famousringo said:
How to be a Microsoft Spin Doctor:

Step 1 - Pretend that the US market is the only gaming market there is.

Step 2 - Pretend that revenues are more important than profits.

Step 3 - Use figures that include time periods when competitors consoles weren't released, but don't include figures from consoles which were released before the Xbox 360 (such as the PS2).

Step 4 - Hope to God that anybody who reads your press release hasn't learned how to think.

Words of wisdom.

^That profit is most likely coming from their other products, MS isn't reporting profits on just Xbox it also includes mobile phone software, PC peripherals, TV set-top box software and Zune portable music players.

So really, does only a little bit of profit make much sense for all of these products combined? No, so something is losing them money, I wonder what it could be......

@famousringo
Lol. Right on, man.

@everyone
Writing assignment: Pretending you are a Microsoft spin guru, how will you (Microsoft) spin the Wii overtaking the Xbox360 in LTD NA sales this year? Bonus points if you can use the words "revenue", "attach rate", "downloads", and "third-party" in a confusing or complicated manner.