By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 40% of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3!

d21lewis said:
They would really benefit from backwards compatibility! They missed a lot of good games on PS3!

If it's B/C like for the X1, then they won't be benefitting much from it. 15 games out of a library of hundreds of good games...

Around the Network
bigjon said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Nah, nobody buys a new console to play old games.

Which explains why you can play hundreds on old Playstation games on their platforms...

"I'm going to buy a PS4 to play PS3 games on it" - said no one ever.

Confirmed, nobody uses PS Now on PS4.

And I'm sure nobody on PS3 ever purchased a PS1 or PS2 game in the PS Store.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
bigjon said:

"I'm going to buy a PS4 to play PS3 games on it" - said no one ever.

Confirmed, nobody uses PS Now on PS4.

And I'm sure nobody on PS3 ever purchased a PS1 or PS2 game in the PS Store.

The point is that backwards compatibility is not why you buy a console. It's a small perk depending on your preferences, but it is not a system selling feature for the vast majority of gamers.

biglittlesps said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Millions of people will be using BC on X1, especially since it gives access to digital content. Its not niche and will bolster the library quickly.

People were hyped about PS Now because they thought they would have access to their digital content or atleast the ability to have unlimited access for a small fee. And like I pointed out that hype died because its a rental service. You could buy old PS3 games in the bargain bins or internet instead.

PS Now is meant to be multi device service but not to give BC to PS4. PS Now is slow burner and it will get big in future slowly and people wil be able to play PS games wihout owning one in any device capable of internet. Prices willl go down in future and PS now still not quite ready they are just testing in big countries where people have great internet speed and can afford such service. PS Now is future after PS5 so they need to make the foundations from now and get big next 5 years.

PS Now is treated as BC for PS4, by Sony. It was the way to finally play PS3 games on a PS4.

I like the idea of PS Now. But it seems like the only way to get a good experience with it requires a hardwire. 

PS Now should be on PC but Sony is afraid of the PC market.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
biglittlesps said:

PS Now is meant to be multi device service but not to give BC to PS4. PS Now is slow burner and it will get big in future slowly and people wil be able to play PS games wihout owning one in any device capable of internet. Prices willl go down in future and PS now still not quite ready they are just testing in big countries where people have great internet speed and can afford such service. PS Now is future after PS5 so they need to make the foundations from now and get big next 5 years.

PS Now is treated as BC for PS4, by Sony. It was the way to finally play PS3 games on a PS4.

I like the idea of PS Now. But it seems like the only way to get a good experience with it requires a hardwire. 

You honestly could not make it anymore clear that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. PS Now is treated as a multi-device streaming service with Sony looking to expand support of their legacy library to other devices including the Vita, smart TV's, and even freakin' Sony bluray players. It being on PS4 is just natural. It wasn't made with PS4 backwards compatibility in mind. That is a very short term goal for what is clearly intended to be a long term service.

Also, for a developer afraid of the PC market, they seem rather comfortable with letting their exclusives end up on PC, settling on console exclusives rather than total exclusives.

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You honestly could not make it anymore clear that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. PS Now is treated as a multi-device streaming service with Sony looking to expand support of their legacy library to other devices including the Vita, smart TV's, and even freakin' Sony bluray players. It being on PS4 is just natural. It wasn't made with PS4 backwards compatibility in mind. That is a very short term goal for what is clearly intended to be a long term service.

Also, for a developer afraid of the PC market, they seem rather comfortable with letting their exclusives end up on PC, settling on console exclusives rather than total exclusives.

If you go to the PS4 support page for backwards compatibility, they mention is PS Now. Why? Because that's their answer to backwards compatibility on PS4.

They allow their 3rd party exclusives on PC because the developers demand it. Sony would prefer those games not be on PC.

Recently Completed

Interesting, though I always question surveys like these..

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

GTstation said:
Mr Puggsly said:

BC will be used by millions of people. It will also make Games with Gold titles have value on the X1 as well.

Man, youre so wrong. You can still find a lot of people playing old CoDs, Gears, and Halo. Halo 2 was very active via BC until those servers were shut down. You are so wrong its laughable.

Developers may start bundling 360 games with X1 releases to add extra value as well. Ubisoft is doing that with their next Rainbow Six.

Maybe EA will include classic 360 games on EA Access now. BC is going to give more value to the X1 and its funny you cant understand that.

Sony spent hundreds of millions creating PS Now. So there must be value in old games.

Wish all you want, theres only about 10 million Xones in the market.  Millions will use bc on it is a total joke now and in the future.  Especially since it i can tell you now it will never be 100% BC.  Even more so its not actually playing of the dics, you have to downlaod the whoel game.  Do you plan on having 30 hds hooked up ? My X1 is nearly full and thats just game updates and mandatory installs, while i had to slap a 2tb hd in my PS4 to keep up with it all.

Millions are playing Old Gears Halos or Cods, i seriously doubt that.  Halo 4 had about 20k online players a year after release.  

Like i said and am clearly right supported by such tiny numbers from the mega franchise Halo, a small niche will ever use or care about it.  

One thing HMCC proved to be blatently is that its painfull to play old games after a taste of the new and shiny, Halo3 was a total shit looker after the awesome looking H2 remake.  A tiny minority is hardcore gamer enough to over look that.  Especially early 7th gen games, thsoe are brutal on the eyes now.  
Sony is setting up for the future while milking some cash out of the service, now is not their solution to BC.  Nor do they care and think enough gamers care about it to do bc.  Even trying to spin Now into some support for your argument really show how lacking you opinion is.

You do understand the X1 is still growing, right? And the userbase is more like 12 million.

Xbox 360 games are actually pretty small compared to 8th gen or even PS3 games (disc games are usually 4 - 7 GB). If you're low on space, get a USB powered external HDD. I did, works great.

There are likely a million or millions still playing Gears, Halo, or CoDs on 360 periodically. For game to have peaks of 20K in 24 hours, then there is a significantly higher number of uniques throughout the day. I'll elaborate on that if you need me to.

Dude, a lot people still play old shooters. I play MCC and I can tell you people fucking love playing Halo 1 and 2 still. You'd be surprised how many old games on 360 still have an active online population.

Playstation's long term future looks bleak given the Playstation brand is actually shrinking. Don't forget, their mobile gaming market is basically dead. While major companies like Valve and MS could easily make a service to compete with PS Now and offer more. You say Sony is milking cash out of PS Now, but its uncertain if the service is profitable. They certainly haven't made back the $380 million they spent acquiring the tech for PS Now.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

You do understand the X1 is still growing, right? And the userbase is more like 12 million.

Xbox 360 games are actually pretty small compared to 8th gen or even PS3 games (disc games are usually 4 - 7 GB). If you're low on space, get a USB powered external HDD. I did, works great.

There are likely a million or millions still playing Gears, Halo, or CoDs on 360 periodically. For game to have peaks of 20K in 24 hours, then there is a significantly higher number of uniques throughout the day. I'll elaborate on that if you need me to.

Dude, a lot people still play old shooters. I play MCC and I can tell you people fucking love playing Halo 1 and 2 still. You'd be surprised how many old games on 360 still have an active online population.

Playstation's long term future looks bleak given the Playstation brand is actually shrinking. Don't forget, their mobile gaming market is basically dead. While major companies like Valve and MS could easily make a service to compete with PS Now and offer more. You say Sony is milking cash out of PS Now, but its uncertain if the service is profitable. They certainly haven't made back the $380 million they spent acquiring the tech for PS Now.

Wont grow to big, and you know it.. 

There likely are not millions playing them, how titanfall doing ?  Small active pops playing them just proves how niche older gaming is.  And if the people are playing them, clearly shows you dont need bc on new hardware to do it.  I have hmcc and could barely Stand H1 and 3 due to their bad graphics.  Whats the point of palying old games iv played before when new much better looking games are available left and right.  Its just humen nature to move on and consume the new better thing and leave the old in the dust.  Games are just entertaiment to be consumed and then ditched for new shiny stuff.

Yes record setting sales, so bleek.  Doom ?  No need for shit mobile games if you can game PS on anything any where, thats what now is being build for most can see it, you dont want to.  

lol well if its uncertin then certainly you arent certin if they have or not.  We are certain of that.  

GTstation said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Wont grow to big, and you know it.. 

There likely are not millions playing them, how titanfall doing ?  Small active pops playing them just proves how niche older gaming is.  And if the people are playing them, clearly shows you dont need bc on new hardware to do it.  I have hmcc and could barely Stand H1 and 3 due to their bad graphics.  Whats the point of palying old games iv played before when new much better looking games are available left and right.  Its just humen nature to move on and consume the new better thing and leave the old in the dust.  Games are just entertaiment to be consumed and then ditched for new shiny stuff.

Yes record setting sales, so bleek.  Doom ?  No need for shit mobile games if you can game PS on anything any where, thats what now is being build for most can see it, you dont want to.  

lol well if its uncertin then certainly you arent certin if they have or not.  We are certain of that.  

I dunno, I expect maybe 50 million units? X1 can still have a big userbase, albeit smaller than PS4.

I've seen a few thousand playing Titanfall on 360 at once during peak hours. The thing is people have so many options, you don't see everybody flocking to a single game. But there are certainly millions of people still 360 games online periodically.

You're wrong, many still like playing Halo 1 and 2. Not everybody is a graphics whore. Its a sad, sad reality. Just ask the people that play Minecraft, a popular PS4 game.

Sony's mobile games brought in a lot of money at one point. That's why the Vita exist! Sony is just relying on PS4 at this point, the Playstation brand is smaller because of this.

Sorry, its a safe bet PS Now is not profitable... yet... if ever. Making back $380 million with a mediocre service ain't easy. Especially when the requirements to play games well are high.

Recently Completed