By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I'm not happy about the Shenmue III Kickstarter

Ok.

Around the Network

If a game series will never be revived, this may be the only way for companies to see that people still have a lot of interest for it

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I'm excited this game, but seriously weird move....

I dont get the preordering comparison. With preordering you are guaranteed a game early but the game is still being made. This is more like dangling the development in front of the fans. It seems ethically strange to me to announce something like this at your conference....

Conina said:
DanneSandin said:
Puppyroach said:

Agreed, it just seems of or weird. And how could they fund Shenmue 3, which is part of a VERY ambitious seriers, on a budget of 2m? It is almost as if they aim to get paid for free marketing, but I hope it is legit.

I really understand kickstarter being used to already established developers that DOESN'T have any publisher or anything like that. I'm of course referring to Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained and Mighty nr9 - but THIS? Sega OWNS that IP. Sega should be paying for this! Not the gamers.

The Kickstarter ain't from SEGA, it's from Ys net (a smaller developer) and SEGA doesn't seem to be involved in the project.

Yu Suzuki left SEGA in 2011 and founded Ys net: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134782/yu_suzuki_at_a_time_of_transition.php

He wanted to licence Shenmue from SEGA since 2012: http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/06/yu-suzuki-expresses-interest-in-obtaining-shenmue-license-from-s/

Just like Telltale games licenced "Monkey Island" from LucasArts for "Tales of Monkey Island" or Replay Games licenced "Leisure Suit Larry" from Activision for "Larry Reloaded".

And obviously Yu Suzuki / Ys net succeeded in getting the licence rights and the permission to make a Shenmue-successor.

Without Dave Grossman (Telltale games), Al Lowe + Paul Trowe (Replay Games) and Yu Suzuki (Ys net) these games wouldn't have happened because LucasArts, Activision and SEGA weren't interested enough to make new games with their old IPs.

That actually makes this whole thing feel a lot better! I support Yooka Laylee, Bloodstained and mighty nr9 and if Sega isnt involved at all in this, or any other big publisher, Im ok with it and welcome it!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
vivster said:

Tell me a better way to accurately gauge market viability.

And it's not like anyone is losing anything through this.

...except for money, if the game is garbage. 

I have to agree with the OP on this one. If it weren't pushed by Sony (and likely being partially funded by Sony), I wouldn't see a problem with it. This opens the gate to Nintendo kickstarting "F-Zero", and Microsoft kickstarting "Perfect Dark".

If kickstarter is abused in this way, it becomes a locked-in pre-order system where publishers don't even have to start on a project to get your money (based on expectations). It's an extension of the growing problem of pre-order bonuses, etc. Publishers are already abusing consumers by cranking out garbage games that will make enough money at launch that they don't mind that sales disappear after that point based on bad user/critic reviews. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

PenguinZ said:
Random_Matt said:
How is this being released? Don't Sega hold the rights? So how does Sony publish it, if that's the case?

Straight from the Kickstarter:

"SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue" license."

Sega probably did that many years ago, thinking that they'll never make a third game anyways. They might be regretting that now :P

StuOhQ said:

I have to agree with the OP on this one. If it weren't pushed by Sony (and likely being partially funded by Sony), I wouldn't see a problem with it. This opens the gate to Nintendo kickstarting "F-Zero", and Microsoft kickstarting "Perfect Dark".

I know you presented this as if it was a bad thing, but that actually got me excited. It can mean that many of the games we have been asking for large companies to give a second chance, might actually get said second chances. Imagine of Nintendo kickstarted Mother home-console for example. We'd have a new Mother game based on how strong of a fanbase this title has. Or what if some large publishers like Square-Enix kickstarted Dragon Quest VII and V III (3DS) localizations? We'd actually get the localizations. I'm willing to take the risk to be honest. 

sc94597 said:
StuOhQ said:

I know you presented this as if it was a bad thing, but that actually got me excited. It can mean that many of the games we have been asking for large companies to give a second chance, might actually get said second chances. Imagine of Nintendo kickstarted Mother home-console for example. We'd have a new Mother game based on how strong of a fanbase this title has. Or what if some large publishers like Square-Enix kickstarted Dragon Quest VII and V III (3DS) localizations? We'd actually get the localizations. I'm willing to take the risk to be honest. 

Yeah.....thats not good. Look at duke nukem forever....

Duke Nukem was in development hell finished by a meh developer.

Comparing apples to oranges will get you nowhere.

This was a successful publicity stunt.