By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - what has this generation taught us so far?

"I'm sorry, did you just call me an idiot? Please go read an economics book and then come and tell me the defintion of "profit" and "revenue""

Revenue is just revenue, just income. Expenditure is just expenditure, which are expenses paid out. Profit is Revenue minus expenditure, wherein the total is positive. Loss is Revenue minus expenditure, wherein the result is negative.

rev·e·nue /ˈrɛvənˌyu, -əˌnu/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rev-uhn-yoo, -uh-noo] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the income of a government from taxation, excise duties, customs, or other sources, appropriated to the payment of the public expenses.
2. the government department charged with the collection of such income.
3. revenues, the collective items or amounts of income of a person, a state, etc.
4. the return or yield from any kind of property, patent, service, etc.; income.
5. an amount of money regularly coming in.
6. a particular item or source of income.

I see no word PROFIT, here.

prof·it /ˈprɒfɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prof-it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Often, profits.
a. pecuniary gain resulting from the employment of capital in any transaction. Compare gross profit, net profit.
b. the ratio of such pecuniary gain to the amount of capital invested.
c. returns, proceeds, or revenue, as from property or investments.
2. the monetary surplus left to a producer or employer after deducting wages, rent, cost of raw materials, etc.: The company works on a small margin of profit.
3. advantage; benefit; gain.

HOLY SHIT.

You argue like you screw, kingofwale. Sloppily and with yourself.

Around the Network

dude... seriously lighten up. There is no need for name calling and all that crap you spout. You may be right, depending on the perspective of your position. But I am not arguing if you are correct or not. I AM TELLING YOU TO BE CIVIL! IF YOU CANNOT I WILL REPORT YOU!

DeguelloNWR said:
"I'm sorry, did you just call me an idiot? Please go read an economics book and then come and tell me the defintion of "profit" and "revenue""

Revenue is just revenue, just income. Expenditure is just expenditure, which are expenses paid out. Profit is Revenue minus expenditure, wherein the total is positive. Loss is Revenue minus expenditure, wherein the result is negative.

rev·e·nue /ˈrɛvənˌyu, -əˌnu/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rev-uhn-yoo, -uh-noo] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. the income of a government from taxation, excise duties, customs, or other sources, appropriated to the payment of the public expenses.
2. the government department charged with the collection of such income.
3. revenues, the collective items or amounts of income of a person, a state, etc.
4. the return or yield from any kind of property, patent, service, etc.; income.
5. an amount of money regularly coming in.
6. a particular item or source of income.

I see no word PROFIT, here.

prof·it /ˈprɒfɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[prof-it] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Often, profits.
a. pecuniary gain resulting from the employment of capital in any transaction. Compare gross profit, net profit.
b. the ratio of such pecuniary gain to the amount of capital invested.
c. returns, proceeds, or revenue, as from property or investments.
2. the monetary surplus left to a producer or employer after deducting wages, rent, cost of raw materials, etc.: The company works on a small margin of profit.
3. advantage; benefit; gain.

HOLY SHIT.

You argue like you screw, kingofwale. Sloppily and with yourself.

blindly copying and pasting will get ya no where dude in accounting profit and income are interchangeable(side not is this word spelled right b/c my spell checker is letting it go thru ...weird)

b/c of this you were"stupid" in saying revenue is more important then profit which is more important to your share holders the money you could have made (revenue) or the money you did make (profit/net income)

Deguello, do you happen to be European? Because I've actually learnt different English words for revenue and such. I'm not entirely sure this is how it is, I'm only 14, so I'm not a master at economics... Yet. I learnt some things here, and I think this is how it is.

First you have the "brutto" or revenue. That's all the money you "made". This is without the expences.

Then, you have the expences.

Then you have "Netto", or "Net Income" or "profit". This is how much you "made" and then subtract the expences.

So for EA 2007.

Revenue: 3 Billion dollars (holy scmoley!)

But this doesn't help them.

Net Income is a loss: A 76M loss.

That is after taxes, the expences of making the games, salaries, and everything is payed.

Another example (this is actually good for me too, because if I'm wrong, people can correct me so I understand it)

You have a pet shop. In 2008, you sell pets for 1000 dollars. Therefore:

Revenue = 1000 dollars.

When you originally got the pets, you payed 200 dollars for them. You also had to give them food while you had them in the store. That cost 200 dollars too. You also had a 700 dollar rent on your store. Therefore:

Expences = 1100 dollars.

So since Netto = Revenue - Expences, your

Netto = -100 dollars.

This means you lost 100 dollars on your pet store, during 2008. You had a revenue of 1000 dollars, but that didn't help you, because you had so big expences. Therefore, you had to pay 100 dollars more than you recieved.

I hope I explained it easily, and that nothing was wrong, but you never know! Maybe you're right and I'm wrong!

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Don't eat yellow snow

Around the Network

^You didn't know that before this gen?

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

highwaystar101 said:
Don't eat yellow snow
 what if its lemon flavored 

people going for budget price

I like technology when its moving forward..

PSN: methys

psp is a multimedia device first, gaming second

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

How about this:  Fanboys suck?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.