By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Are the new elites RROD free?

If the lastest Elites (reports of failing Elites exist, but due to being dwarfed by Core and Premium sales and not being on the market as long are harder to find amongst the bulk of reports) would be immune to RRoD I think Microsoft would have used them at GDC and saved their face from damning BBC reporting on RRoD with regard to a demo unit failing at GDC.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

I've got an Elite since December 2007, just a few months.

No problems so far, I've got 3 years warranty just in case, and no problem waiting for the console a couple of weeks, I've got a Wii also.

This is just my personal experience, satisfactory so far.

You need to really value what you want/need and if for you reliability problems are more important than any other factor like games, interface or whatever, then don't buy it.

Nintendo has the best record of lack of failure on their consoles, all of them work for years, the PS1 and the PS2 had problems as well, none as bad as the 360 ones of course.

So yeah, in the end it doesn't matter our opinion or personal experience, you need to spend YOUR money in something that would be worth within YOUR standards.

Enjoy games :)

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/YUK04.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0"

There are more games that are exclusive to XBox 360 besides Halo 3? That are worth purchasing, none come to mind. Oh yeah they are all better versions on the PC.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Wii has reportedly 1 to 2% failure rate.
PS3 is 0% failure on hardware. "If you argue this claim than you are trolling and should be banned for anti-Sony flaming"

0% would mean not one PS3 has ever or will ever break, I argue this claim as i know 1 person who had to take his PS3 back due to disks not being read properly, This 1 case alone proves it cannot be 0%.

I don't think that the 360 will ever be safe from the RRoD issue, its a major hardware fault that would cost MS Billions in redesigning to sort, and they are not going to pay that amount of money anytime soon!

The 3 year warranty helps with this issue, but if your console gets a disk read issue the warranty after the 1st year does not cover that... Its your choice mate!

Around the Network
viewtiful_jon said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Wii has reportedly 1 to 2% failure rate.
PS3 is 0% failure on hardware. "If you argue this claim than you are trolling and should be banned for anti-Sony flaming"

0% would mean not one PS3 has ever or will ever break, I argue this claim as i know 1 person who had to take his PS3 back due to disks not being read properly, This 1 case alone proves it cannot be 0%.

Exact figures aren't known, but statistically it's possible failures of a device to be closer to 0% than 1%. Reporting 0% may then be more accurate than reporting 1% if the measurement procedure is not accurate enough to define 0.1%, 0.4% or such.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

FaithRaven said:

I'm thinking of buying a 360 in the upcoming months.

I live in a country with no official support and I will have only 2 years of warranty (and this warranty will be in another town) so it's quite important to me to buy a console with no hardware problems.

So are the last ELITEs produced hardware problems free ?

Based on your support issues, I would hold off until Microsoft gives some official word on the RROD being gone.  Any comments you hear on the newest Elite reliability are purely anecdotal.  Microsoft has not issued a statement on the RROD going away.  Considering that it is the biggest negative in the mind of a lot of potential buyers, you would think they would shout it from the highest rooftop if it was indeed gone.

I am hoping for a redesign in the fall to help with RROD.  Given your situation, I would wait for an official fix.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Actually RROD's in Elite XBox 360 is higher than normal XBox 360. It is now 1 in 2 failure rate. A friend of mine bought an Elite and it RROD like within 1 hour of playing BioShock. He took it back and got a PS3 instead and is another satisfied customer.
Every second person I have asked 20 people all up who purchased Elite. 50% experienced RROD within two weeks of using their Elites. Now they all have PS3's

There are more games that are exclusive to XBox 360 besides Halo 3? That are worth purchasing, none come to mind. Oh yeah they are all better versions on the PC.

Wow, you win Sony fanboy of the year....

To answer your question. No the RRoD issue is not gone. if it was you would see the 50 million dollar add campaign from MS stating that fact. That being said, it is better then it was. Not sure to what extent however. the 360 had two major problems. design and build quality. Design they have worked on. Build quality, I just have no information on. If they don't improve build quality, then there is a good chance that the same number of 360's will die, but it will just take a lot longer. Every time you turn your system on, you produce heat. This heating up and cooling off over time weakens poor solder joints. The design improvements reduces the amount of hear, but does not make better joints.

So one of two things is going to happen. Either then number has gone down (better design + better build quality), or the number will be relatively the same, yet take longer to break (still poor build quality).

If your a gambling man, the odds are it won't break. I would guess 1 in 10 at the moment, but that's just a guess.

If you want to get ripped off and get an 100% RROD guaranteed XBox 360 that produces games seen on three year old PC's go ahead and buy one. Within three years every XBox 360 will need to be replaced.

Also within three years time there will either be a new XBox or MS will be making games for the PS3. 

TheRealMafoo said:

Rock_on_2008 said:
Actually RROD's in Elite XBox 360 is higher than normal XBox 360. It is now 1 in 2 failure rate. A friend of mine bought an Elite and it RROD like within 1 hour of playing BioShock. He took it back and got a PS3 instead and is another satisfied customer.
Every second person I have asked 20 people all up who purchased Elite. 50% experienced RROD within two weeks of using their Elites. Now they all have PS3's

There are more games that are exclusive to XBox 360 besides Halo 3? That are worth purchasing, none come to mind. Oh yeah they are all better versions on the PC.

Wow, you win Sony fanboy of the year....

To answer your question. No the RRoD issue is not gone. if it was you would see the 50 million dollar add campaign from MS stating that fact. That being said, it is better then it was. Not sure to what extent however. the 360 had two major problems. design and build quality. Design they have worked on. Build quality, I just have no information on. If they don't improve build quality, then there is a good chance that the same number of 360's will die, but it will just take a lot longer. Every time you turn your system on, you produce heat. This heating up and cooling off over time weakens poor solder joints. The design improvements reduces the amount of hear, but does not make better joints.

So one of two things is going to happen. Either then number has gone down (better design + better build quality), or the number will be relatively the same, yet take longer to break (still poor build quality).

If your a gambling man, the odds are it won't break. I would guess 1 in 10 at the moment, but that's just a guess.

How the hell you know this Bullshit. I bet you just made it up Mr MS fanboy, you claiming less than 10% failure rate. Next we will see someone else claiming 100% RROD free.